Sprouted Quinoa Flour

Photobucket

“Quinoa is a staple food of the Incas and the Indians in Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia. During his pioneering investigations in the 1930’s, Weston A. Price noted that the Indians of the Andes mountains valued gruel made of quinoa for nursing mothers. Quinoa contains 16 to 20 percent protein and is high in cystine, lysine, and methionine – amino acids that tend to be low in other grains. It contains iron, calcium and phosphorus, B vitamins and vitamin E, and is relatively high in fat. Like all grains, quinoa contains anti-nutrients and therefore requires a long soaking as part of the preparation process.”
– Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon & Mary G. Enig

You can sprout quinoa in any container, I like to use glass mason jars. Soak 3 cups of quinoa in 5 cups of water for at least 6 hours. Drain sprouts. After that, rinse sprouts with fresh water at least twice a day until the tails are at least three times the size of the grain in length. Quinoa sprouts very quickly and should only take one day to sprout.
Photobucket
Dehydrate grains at a low temperature for 12 to 24 hours. Let grains cool for a few hours before grinding. I like to freeze my grains before grinding them.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

In a grain mill, food processor, or vita-mix, grind grains. I used my food processor. It took 15 minutes to grind grains. The end product looks like fine ground cornmeal, with a light creamy color. I decided to sift the quinoa flour to obtain a fine flour for baking.

ad_spacer ad_spacer
On the left is the sifted quinoa flour. On the right is the coarse granules.
Photobucket
I will be posting some recipes using quinoa flour next week!

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Michelle (Health Food Lover) July 2, 2010, 5:18 pm

Wow Tiffany, this is a great tutorial! I'm wondering how strong is the sprouted Quinoa flour? I find quinoa flour quite strong flavour so how did it taste after sprouting?

Thanks for linking up to the Wholesome Wholefoods blog carnival!

• Doro July 2, 2010, 9:36 pm

This is interesting and something I would have never thought of doing. I am interested to see recipes using the flour.

• Melodie July 5, 2010, 10:25 pm

These are the kind of things I love about the real food community. They take something that you wouldn't necessarily think of trying and show you how simple it really is. Thanks for linking to my Vegetarian Foodie Fridays carnival!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama July 6, 2010, 8:15 am

@ Michelle – I normally have a hard time using store bought quinoa flour because of its strong and tangy flavor. This flour has a very mild taste. I'm making my second batch of flour today and I'm hoping it will also have a mild flavor.

• Lea July 8, 2010, 5:52 pm

Would you be able to prepare the quinoa in other ways after sprouting or does it have to be ground into a flour? My kids love it cooked like rice but I'm wondering if the health benefits are increased by sprouting like other grains?

Thanks!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama July 8, 2010, 6:10 pm

Lea – You can cook quinoa after sprouting it. Sprouting increases the nutrient and makes it more digestible.

• Wendy July 13, 2010, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the instructions. I've made quinoa tortillas, but the kids tired of the strong flavor. This may be the way to go.

• Lindsay August 4, 2010, 7:27 am

Ok, this may be obvious, but I just want to clarify. After the quinoa has sprouted in water for at least 6 hours–the instructions state to rinse and drain and then after that rinse at least twice a day. So, when I do the initial rinsing and draining do I replace the water? Should the quinoa always be submerged? And how long does the quinoa keep in the fridge after sprouted? Thanks!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 10, 2010, 8:00 am

Lindsay – You don't continue to submerge the grains. Just rinse and drain. Mine last a week and a half in my refrigerator =)

• Sarah Schatz - menus for limited diets August 13, 2010, 12:23 pm

this is awesome! Thanks so much for posting this and your other sprouted gluten free flour recipe.

I am curious why you said you freeze your grains before grinding?

Sarah

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 13, 2010, 1:49 pm

@ Sarah – I like to freeze them because my vita-mix motor gets really hot when I grind grains. I don't want to heat the grains too high. Thankfully, I just purchased a grain mill so I will no longer have to worry about this =)

• Elizabeth Stueck September 1, 2010, 1:01 pm

Hi. I love your blog! I was wondering how you are dehydrating grains. In a dehydrator? If so, how do you prevent them from falling through the holes?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 1, 2010, 1:26 pm

@ Elizabeth – My dehydrator came with a plastic sheet for dehydrationg small items and wet foods. If you don't have one you can use parchment paper.

• Michelle (Health Food Lover) September 6, 2010, 5:40 pm

Hi Tiffany.
    Today I'm going to make my first batch of sprouted quinoa flour! Wish me luck!

• Anonymous October 26, 2010, 8:56 pm

At what temp would you dehydrate these in the oven and for how long? Also, do you just keep the grains in the jar on the counter while you rinse them until the tails are long enough?

• Ma November 21, 2012, 11:52 pm

Could I use the oven to dehydrate it? Thanks!

• Kmsalvadore41 December 10, 2012, 8:12 am

Hello what is the best way to dehydrate the grains?

• Quinoa lover July 5, 2014, 8:21 pm

Quinoa is the best source of slow burning carbohydrates. Only a cup of cooked quinoa is enough to provide 8 grams of protein, 5 grams of fiber and 220 calories. Therefore, it is the best food that can be taken to shed some pounds and become fit. You can take quinoa seeds in raw, cooked or sprouted form. So just get up and get ready to experiencethe benefits of this amazing food quinoa . If you do not have this in your pantry yet, just go and get it right now