ORANGE JULIUS

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Don’t want to cook breakfast? Want a fast, healthy, breakfast shake, to start your day? Don’t bother buying any of those highly processed whey powders. Make your shake with simple, REAL FOOD, ingredients you have in your home! They’re easy to make and they taste delicious!

The original Orange Julius had a secret ingredient that added incredible amounts of nutrients to the drink. Unfortunately, raw egg yolks are looked down upon in our society today. Egg yolks are packed with vital vitamins and minerals our bodies need. You would be better off eating a few egg yolks a day rather than taking a multivitamin! Here’s a look to see the nutrients in egg yolks versus egg whites…

Nutrient

94 mg

100%

Carotenoids

0 mcg

21 mcg

100%

If your using eggs from pastured chickens ( I hope you are), you’ll be consuming more nutrients than what is labeled above!

Orange Julius

• 3 Oranges ( You can juice them or blend. I prefer to blend them!)
  • 1-2 cups coconut milk or raw milk, frozen in ice trays
  • 1-3 egg yolks, raw
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon maca powder (optional – gives this drink a creamy flavor)
  • Stevia or sweetener of choice (optional – you may not need sweetener if your oranges are sweet)

Blend all ingredients, except frozen milk in blender until smooth. Add frozen milk cubes and blend. Continue to add frozen cubes until your shake is thick or the consistency you prefer.
Serve and enjoy!

line1

This post is linked with:

line2
line1

• girlichef August 10, 2010, 10:22 am

Oh, I've always loved Orange Julius'!!! Thanks for the recipe =) Thanks for sharing it with Two for Tuesdays this week!! =)

• Torviewtoronto August 10, 2010, 10:45 am

lovely addition coconut milk

• Butterpoweredbike August 10, 2010, 2:11 pm

Oh, I've gotta try this. I have such fond memories of Orange Julius. My dad would take me for a special treat at the mall with indoor fountains. Thanks for linking up with Two for Tuesday.

• Elizabeth Walling August 11, 2010, 5:54 am

This sounds like it would be great with coconut milk! Great GAPS option.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 11, 2010, 7:23 am

I made mine with coconut milk and it was delicious!

• Christy August 11, 2010, 8:14 pm

I am always trying to get people to eat egg yolks – what a wonderful way to add some to our day! I loved loved loved these when I was in HS – many moons ago! Thanks for linking this to Two for Tuesdays!

• a moderate life August 11, 2010, 10:55 pm

sweets! I am totally onboard with you on the raw pastured eggs! I add them to my green smoothie every morning, but your orange julius, which reminds me of my New York roots looks absolutely delcious! Thanks so much for posting on the two for tuesday recipe blog hop!

• Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist August 14, 2010, 2:53 pm

Hi Coconut Mama, this looks yummy! Do you remember the franchise named “Orange Julius” Their smoothies were fab but I'm sure full of sugar. This looks like a major improvement! Would you consider sharing this at Monday Mania? Hope to see you there!

• Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist August 21, 2010, 9:19 am

Hi Tiffany, thanks for stopping by Monday Mania to share this post! I'm sure others will really enjoy trying this out — hope you like the cereal when you make it too! ;)

• Michelle (Health Food Lover) September 6, 2010, 6:49 pm

Hi Tiffany.

This sounds absolutely delicious! I've never had an orange julius (I think it's more an American food rather than Aussie) so that's probably why I haven't had it! However, I'm really looking forward to making this. I don't have any oranges so I'm going to use a daisy mandarin (a really sweet mandarin) and I'll add maca…I'll let you know how it goes :)

• Michelle (Health Food Lover) September 11, 2010, 6:33 pm

Hi Tiffany. I've now made this three times…

First time I used normal mandarins (didn't have any daisy's), organic whole milk and 2 whole eggs and a bit of maca..tastes alright..but I found I wasn't too fond of the maca..

Second time…I used 1 whole orange, dairy milk and 2 egg yolks and ice…really nice!

Third time…I used 1 whole egg, almond milk, 2 egg yolks and ice…very nice too.

I think I definitely prefer using the dairy milk all up in terms of taste.

Thanks for the recipe!

• Michelle (Health Food Lover) September 22, 2010, 1:36 am

Hi Tiffany.
    I'm going to be making this again for breakfast tomorrow, this time pretty much to your recipe exactly…I'll let you know how it goes!

By the way do you only use the egg yolk in the recipe?

Thanks,
    Michelle.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 22, 2010, 7:22 am

Hi Michelle,

Yes. I have only used egg yolks, because that is what the original Orange Julius recipe called for. I'm sure you could use whole eggs just fine though. You don't have to add maca if you don't like the flavor of it. It just makes it taste more creamier to me.

Let me know how it goes!

~Tiffany

• melanie April 26, 2012, 8:48 am

My husband has been perfecting his nourishing Orange Julius recipe and we find that, along with what you have, ice and/or frozen bananas make it taste like the real deal. He sometimes adds frozen mangos when he’s feeling tropical. Enjoy!

• Panda Daniels February 17, 2013, 12:39 pm

should i be using raw maca or the gelatinized kind? i see that a lot of folks are saying the raw kind is causing issue bc it is hard to break down when not cooked. thanks!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 18, 2013, 1:26 pm

I have the gelatinized kind. The raw maca was a little too much for me. I think it’s fine to have the raw as long as you don’t eat it often.

• C.J. February 24, 2013, 7:26 pm

DELICIOUS! I keep coming back to this recipe. Just had some for dinner and my whole family sipped it up.
    I left out the milk and used half a tray of ice cubes instead and I didn’t miss the milk one bit ( though I do enjoy it with raw milk ).