Homemade Quinoa Pasta

Today I’m excited to share a recipe for homemade pasta using sprouted Photobucketquinoa flour. Quinoa is a seed like grain that is very nourishing. Its very high in protein, contains essential B vitamins and is a wonderful gluten free/grain free option for those on restricted diets. Like other grains, nuts, seeds, and legumes, quinoa needs to be properly prepared before consuming [source]. Peruvians consider quinoa toxic unless it has been properly soaked [source]. I personally have suffered extreme stomach pains after eating un-soaked quinoa. Thankfully, it is very simple to prepare quinoa and to make your own sprouted quinoa flour. Follow the instructions here to make your own sprouted quinoa flour. You may also use sprouted rice flour or sprouted wheat flour to make homemade pasta. You can purchase sprouted flours here if you are unable to make your own.

Homemade Quinoa Pasta
Makes 2 servings as a side dish

Photobucket

• 1 pastured egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 – 1 cup sprouted quinoa flour (feel free to use other sprouted flours)

Gently beat the egg and salt together. Add 1/4 cup flour. Mix well, then add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time until dough is well formed.

On a well floured surface, roll dough out into a rectangle shape.

Now its time to cut your pasta. I used a pizza cutter. Cut pasta to desired width.

Boil 1 quart of water. Add 1-2 tablespoons of salt to water.

Add pasta to boiling water.

Boil 5 to 8 minutes. Drain.

This post is linked to:

• Yolanda November 9, 2010, 11:49 am

Thank you for this! I have a daughter-in-law who has celiac disease and I am always on the lookout for healthy things she can eat. :)

• Carmen Bruno November 9, 2010, 12:54 pm

Tiffany, thank you for sharing this recipe. I'm trying to include more grain free recipes for myself. I love quinoa and enjoy making pasta so this should be fun to try. I will try to remember to post how it turns out.
    blessings ~ Carmen

• Angie November 9, 2010, 2:59 pm

What a great idea! I will look into getting some sprouted quinoa flour!
    Thanks!

• girlichef November 9, 2010, 5:00 pm

I have never even heard of quinoa flour…but I would definitely love to try this, it sounds wonderful and comforting :D So glad you've shared it w/ the hearth and soul hop this week!

• Krista November 9, 2010, 6:03 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! Hmm, I'm going to try this with a flax “egg” and see if it works. Thanks for the idea.

• Priscilla November 10, 2010, 9:49 am

That looks delicious and very gluten friendly :).

I hate quinoa as a grain to eat… but its a good flour.

You can also buy quinoa pasta already made in the stores now. Just look in the specialty aisle.

• stephen November 11, 2010, 8:52 pm

pasta! I love pasta! another recipe treat for my mum! can't wait to try this. .I guess it's quick and simple:)

• The 21st Century Housewife© November 17, 2010, 2:17 am

What a fantastic idea! It also looks seriously yummy!

• elpi November 18, 2010, 1:51 am

I love everything about pasta. Such a healthy recipe mama lol great job

• lydia November 26, 2010, 3:30 pm

Aha – something to do with my sprouted quinoa flour, finally!! ;)

I have made buckwheat pasta lasagna noodles before, so I will have to try this recipe out and compare!! Thanks!

• Anonymous March 30, 2011, 8:31 am

let's pretend for a moment that i don't have sprouted quinoa flour. can i use regular quinoa flour? or will the proportions be different?

• Marla June 29, 2011, 5:07 am

Your homemade quinoa pasta is such a great idea!
    It is vegetarian week at Get Grillin' we would love if you submitted up to any 3 recipes (they don't have to be grilled) to our link up. This one would be perfect!
    This week we have a ManPans giveaway. http://su.pr/3GCtXU

• Dina March 11, 2012, 4:36 pm

Thank you for sharing the recipe. Can I substitute the quinoa flour with coconut flour?

• The Coconut Mama March 11, 2012, 11:44 pm

I haven’t tried it, but I don’t think it will work with this recipe. You would need to add more eggs and water because coconut flour soaks up so much liquid. Please let me know if you try it and how the outcome is! :)

• demi March 25, 2012, 12:17 pm

i wan tto make it with usual quinoa flour.will it work?also if i use brown rice flour or millet will i have to use water too?could i use only water and quinoa or rice flour???i dont like eating lots of eggs….but dont know if it will work.thanks

• The Coconut Mama March 26, 2012, 7:43 pm

Yes, you can use other flours but I am not sure how it will work without the egg. I’ve never left it out. Please let me know how your pasta turns out if you make it without the egg! Thanks :)

• Sharon B. July 12, 2012, 6:17 pm

Thanks for the wonderful recipes. I’m making sprouted quinoa flour right now! Quinoa is a “grain-like seed”, not a “seed-like grain”. :)

• Neill Hines August 8, 2013, 12:03 pm

i’d love to make some whole food smoothies