Add Liver To Your Diet: Make Liver Capsules

Liver is one of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat. It’s a rich source of vitamin A, B vitamins, folic acid, copper, iron, zinc, chromium and CoQ10. Many people believe liver shouldn’t be consumed because they think it is full of toxins. The truth is, liver does not store toxins. One of it’s jobs is to neutralize toxins. Any poisonous toxins are stored in the fatty tissue and the nervous system. You also may have heard that because liver contains high amounts of vitamin A, it’s not safe to eat. Natural vitamin A is different than synthetic vitamin A, which can be very toxic and harmful to your health. To avoid overdosing on natural vitamin A, it is recommended to consume beef liver (4 ounces per serving) no more than twice a week. Chicken liver has lower levels of vitamin A and can be eaten more often than beef liver.

Liver also has an amazing anti-fatigue factor! I found a study on the Weston A. Price Foundation site that I will share below…

Liver’s as-yet-unidentified anti-fatigue factor makes it a favorite with athletes and bodybuilders. The factor was described by Benjamin K. Ershoff, PhD, in a July 1951 article published in the Proceedings for the Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine. Ershoff divided laboratory rats into three groups. The first ate a basic diet, fortified with 11 vitamins. The second ate the same diet, along with an additional supply of vitamin B complex. The third ate the original diet, but instead of vitamin B complex received 10 percent of rations as powdered liver. A 1975 article published in Prevention magazine described the experiment as follows: “After several weeks, the animals were placed one by one into a drum of cold water from which they could not climb out. They literally were forced to sink or swim. Rats in the first group swam for an average 13.3 minutes before giving up. The second group, which had the added fortifications of B vitamins, swam for an average of 13.4 minutes. Of the last group of rats, the ones receiving liver, three swam for 63, 83 and 87 minutes. The other nine rats in this group were still swimming vigorously at the end of two hours when the test was terminated. Something in the liver had prevented them from becoming exhausted. To this day scientists have not been able to pin a label on this anti-fatigue factor.”

Photobucket
line1
Photo Credit

It is extremely important to only eat liver (and meat) from pasture raised, grass fed animals. Sandrine of Nourishing Our Children recently posted a picture on facebook of three livers. One was from a conventionally raised chicken, the second from an organically raised chicken, and the third from a pasture raised chicken. You can see the picture here. Now, which one of those livers look like it came from a healthy animal? If that didn’t scare you, you should read A Tale Of Two Calves over at The Bovine! You are only as healthy as the food you eat, so make sure you eat healthy, high quality food!

Now that you know some of the benefits of adding liver to your diet, I hope you will try it! Chicken liver pate is very good, but beef liver pate….I can’t swallow the stuff. I don’t know why, I just have a hard time eating it!
My daughter LOVES eating beef liver! She will eat it raw (frozen in small pieces) or gently cooked and mixed with scrambled eggs.

My husband and I decided we would try to capsule it. It was very simple, I don’t know why I didn’t think of doing it sooner. I dehydrated the liver at 105 degrees for 48 hours. I dehydrated it at a low temperature to preserve the enzymes and nutrients. Once the liver was dried, I placed it in my food processor and processed it until it was a powder. I wasn’t able to achieve a fine powder, but more of a coarse powder.

I then scooped the powdered liver into capsules (you can find empty capsules at most health food stores).

Photobucket
I now have a few weeks supply of liver for my husband and I!

For anyone who wants to reap the benefits of liver without actually eating it, I would suggest trying this method!

line2
line1

• The 21st Century Housewife© February 3, 2011, 1:16 am

What an interesting post! I had no idea you could capsulize things like that – and what a great way to get liver's benefits without eating it!

• Joy Y. February 3, 2011, 1:27 am

This is a great idea! I am so glad I own a dehydrator..I'm finding more and more things to do with it. One thing we do in our home, is any dish that has beef in it and good strong flavor like soups, anything with pasta sauce, casseroles….I will grate some of the frozen liver into it and noone is every the wiser. I was so tempted to ask how my kiddos liked the liver soup they gobbled down on Monday, but I refrained. Some things are best left unsaid!

Thanks for a wonderful idea!

Joy @ Vim and Vigor

• Elizabeth Walling February 3, 2011, 9:00 am

Great idea! Pastured beef liver is the only good kind of liver I can (affordably) get my hands on, and it does taste very strong! I “sneak” it into ground meat dishes, but this is a great way to get a little more into our bodies. Thanks for the idea, Tiffany1

• Joanna February 4, 2011, 10:07 am

how difficult was it to scoop it into capsules?

also, did you chop it up to dehydrate it or leave it whole?

thanks for your help, i'd love to try this!

• Danielle February 6, 2011, 7:22 am

This is such a great idea! I, too, have tried sneaking bits of liver into ground beef dishes, but I'd like to make a more regular part of our diets. Also, that picture of the three livers is sure revealing, isn't it? I've been trying to work up the determination to switch to all pasture-fed (the expense is prohibitive for us), but that picture just might do it! Thanks for this idea! I found you via the bloghop, by the way, http://mindofthemother.blogspot.com

• Krista February 8, 2011, 2:09 pm

Hehe, this post reminded me of my placenta encapsulation. Those pills tasted like liver, too!

Hmm, your blog certainly has me thinking, and that's a good thing.

• lydia February 11, 2011, 9:48 am

Great idea Tiffany!! I just may try this. Do you know what ingredients are in your empty capsules? I am having a hard time finding any free of additives I don't want, such as stearates.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama February 19, 2011, 5:44 pm

@ Lydia – I didn't even think to look at my capsules! I bought mine from the health food store and they just say gelatin capsules on them. The brand is Solaray. I'll try to see if they add any additives.

@ Joanna – it wasn't hard, just time consuming. I cut the liver up into pieces and dehydrated it that way. I think next time I'm going to blend it up and dehydrate it. Maybe I think i'll be able to grind in better that way.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama February 19, 2011, 5:46 pm

@ Krista – haha yout right!

• stayathomemyheart March 3, 2011, 8:56 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this! A friend gave me some grassfed liver and I just don't know what to do with it! I will try the dehydrating/capsule things soon!

• stayathomemyheart March 3, 2011, 8:56 am

• Meghan December 12, 2011, 7:32 pm

This is a great idea. We are on GAPS and the one thing I’ve really failed to implement is organ meats. I was just thinking of buying some dessicated liver capsules – I had no idea you could do it yourself! Thanks for this.

• wendi May 23, 2012, 5:02 pm

I just put in dehydrator now! Thanks for idea I read a long time ago but finally am doing it!
    How many caps for adults and children can you guess or how much you take?

• The Coconut Mama May 24, 2012, 8:53 am

6 caps = 1 ounce of liver. It depends on how much your wanting to take every week. I try to take 18-24 a week because I’m nursing. I sneak chicken liver into my 2 1/2 year olds food, so I don’t give her this (yet).

• wendi May 24, 2012, 4:56 pm

I am pregnant?

• PJ February 15, 2013, 8:14 pm

I would suggest grinding the liver prior to drying it. I lost an entire beef liver by just slicing it. It was as hard as a rock, and no amount of soaking it, made it grindable.

• Aubree Kamp February 25, 2013, 10:30 am

So 105 degrees is safe enough to protect against bacteria? My dehydrator has the 145 degree for “safe” meat dehydrating but I wondered about destroying the enzymes, etc.

• Chris March 9, 2013, 8:40 am

How much of the dried liver would make a serving?

• gloriah August 6, 2013, 4:55 pm

what would be wrong with cooking it enough to grind it up first then dehydrating it to grind smaller? we blanch foods we dehydrate so since I would never think of eating any organ meat without cooking it, why not. guess that shows my age..

• faith03bi October 11, 2013, 4:51 pm

Thank you so much for posting this!! I’ve tried to add liver to my diet, and though I’m typically not a picky eater, I simply can’t stand it. I just bought a supplement machine and wondered if this was something I could do. Thank you for posting instructions!!

• shez July 19, 2014, 1:02 pm

I read about this in Sally’s book and thought I’d also dehydrate the liver, but couldnt find my dehydrator- could you do it in the oven? I am also concerned about hyperuricemia from purines in liver – causing gout abd kidney stones etc. I spoke to a man that makes/sells organic free range chicken liver pate and had to stop eating it weekly because of this. What are your thoughts?