Homemade Marshmallows

Homemade MarshmallowsBefore you make these marshmallows, you will need to make a sugar syrup

Homemade Syrup-
1 cup filtered water
2 1/2 cups organic refined cane sugar
1 tsp cream of tartar

In a large pot, bring water, sugar and tartar to a boil. Once it begins to boil, cover with lid nag continue to cook for 2 minutes. After your syrup has boiled for two minutes, take off lid and continue to cook until it reaches 240 degrees. Once the sugar syrup has reached 240 degrees, take it off the heat and allow it to cool for 15 minutes. Once cooled, carefully pour the syrup into a quart size jar to store. You can use the same pot for making you marshmallows, so you don’t need to wash between these steps.

Homemade Marshmallows

Photobucket

1/2 cup + 2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp gelatin
1/2 cup water
1 1/4 cup syrup (recipe above) or raw honey
1 1/2 cups organic cane sugar or coconut sugar

In a small bowl, mix 1/2 cup water, vanilla and gelatin together. Mix well and set aside.
Photobucket
In the large pot used for making the syrup, add 3/4 cup water, 1 1/4 cup of syrup and 1 1/2 cups of sugar. Heat pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Once its boiling, cover with lid and let it boil for 2 minutes. Once two minutes have passed, remove lid and continue to boil until it reaches 250 degrees. Once the sugar mixture is 250 degrees, turn off the heat.Add gelatin/vanilla mix to hot syrup. Stir well.

Photobucket
Next step is to make your marshmallows fluffy! I recommend using a hand mixer, but if that isn’t available, you can use a standard mixer. Carefully pour marshmallow mix into your mixing bowl (if using standard mixer). Use your whisk attachment and beat on high until mixture fluffy, 10-12 minutes.The mixture will turn white and almost double in size.Once mixture is thick (marshmallow fluff consistency) and bright white, it’s done!

Pour marshmallow mixture into a well greased (I used coconut oil) 9×13 pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Once the marshmallows are set, you will want to coat them so they don’t stick together.

Marshmallow Coating
1 cup organic powdered sugar or cocoa powder
1/3 cup arrowroot powder (corn starch works too) or cocoa powder

Mix powdered sugar and arrowroot powder together.

Use some marshmallow coating to lightly”flour” your counter surface. Flip marshmallow pan onto “floured” surface. They should pop out pretty easy. Use a little more sugar coating to flour the top of the marshmallows. Cut marshmallows into 1 inch squares (I used a pizza cutter). Mix marshmallows into remaining sugar coating until they no longer stick.

Store in airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.

Enjoy!

• wssims May 16, 2011, 10:59 am

Awesome! I've made marshmallows before, even with Rapudura sugar but never like this making my own syrup first. I am going to try it out!! Thanks!!

• Mommy Set Free May 16, 2011, 1:31 pm

We often have fires in the back yard! This is the easiest recipe I have seen yet. We will give them a try, thanks for sharing!

• kankana May 18, 2011, 3:18 pm

you will burst out laughing if i tell you this .. I had no clue that you could even make these at home :) Thanks for sharing it with hearth and soul hop !

• Amy May 3, 2012, 2:50 pm

These were so delicious! We dusted some with cocoa powder and shredded coconut as well as the regular sugar ones. And I had some trouble getting them out of the pan – apparently I didn’t do enough greasing. Such a good recipe – this one goes in my cookbook for all eternity. Thanks so much!

• The Coconut Mama May 8, 2012, 3:40 pm

I’m glad they turned out for you, Amy! :)

• Kate (Nutrition by Nature) November 21, 2012, 3:51 pm

These look awesome!! Perfect dose of gelatin and sugar too :) would be lovely before bed time

• The Coconut Mama November 21, 2012, 10:22 pm

Kate (Nutrition by Nature) » Gelatin and sugar before bed is the best!

• Evreda Cépeda May 10, 2013, 1:19 pm

does it turn out the same if you use honey? what about maple syrup?

• dele May 25, 2013, 6:22 am

can you use these marshmellows to make rice krispie squares? in other words, will they melt again to make rice krispie squares?

• Amy October 20, 2014, 5:56 pm

I know this is an old post, but I tried this & it worked great!

• Jimé December 2, 2013, 5:06 pm

In the ingredients for the marshmallows, it states 1/2 c + 2 T and then another 1/2 c, but in the recipe, it states 1/2 c and then another 3/4 c. Which measurements are accurate? Thank you!

• Karen December 2, 2013, 7:42 pm

You’re right! Hoping to see a reply to this!

• Karen December 2, 2013, 7:40 pm

Which gelatin is used in this recipe? The link above is broken and I’m not sure which kind to use. Thanks! This looks super delish!

• Kellie October 13, 2014, 7:34 pm

yes, I see jime’s comment above is correct the water info differs but still no response. Can you please let us know? I want to make these.

• Amy October 20, 2014, 5:55 pm

I don’t know which one is correct, but I make these every few months & have always used the 1/2 cup + 2 TBSP as seen in the ingredient list & they turned out well. I haven’t tried the 3/4 cup of water, but I’m curious to know if they would be better that way? And just FYI, I’ve been lining my pans with parchment paper folded so it will create a nice, square edge, and that made getting the marshmallows out of the pan WAY easier. And grease your knife or pizza cutter slightly before cutting them, too.