Grain Free Nourishing Chicken Nuggets

One of my favorite recipes to make for my two-year old are my Nourishing Chicken Nuggets. Kid’s love chicken nuggets! I love them too! I love that I can make a big batch of these once a month and freeze them for an easy, nourishing, quick meal or meal on the go. Though my daughter loves this recipe, my husband and I (who were both raised eating the McD’s nuggets) find these chicken nuggets nowhere near to taste of what we know chicken nuggets to be. I also wanted to come up with a chicken nugget that are gluten-free/grain free, as I am currently eating very little to no grains at the moment and I know that many of my readers are on special diets the prohibit them from eating gluten or grains. I also want to add that this recipe is easier and more tasty than my previous recipe for Nourishing Chicken Nuggets. If you eat gluten or grains you may use the breading I used in the previous recipe in place of the grain free bread crumbs. Enjoy!

Grain Free Chicken Nuggets
Makes 32 Small or 18 Large Chicken Nuggets

• 2 Whole Chicken Breasts, bones removed (from pasture raised chickens)
  • 2+ Chicken Livers, from pasture raised chickens (see why here)
  • 1 teaspoon of Real Sea Salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of Parsley flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of Pepper
  • 2 Eggs, beaten (pasture raised or organic free range)
  • 1-1 1/2 cups arrowroot powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • Pinch black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of coconut oil, melted (where to find coconut oil)

1. Use a food processor to blend chicken breasts and liver.

Photobucket

2. After you grind your meat into a “paste”, add seasoning. Process a little more to mix in the seasonings.
3.Roll meat paste into nugget size pieces (smaller than a golf ball) and place on a cookie sheet. Note – It helps if you hands are lightly oiled with coconut oil or olive oil when forming the nuggets.Photobucket

ad_spacer ad_spacer
ad_spacer ad_spacer
4. You will now need two medium size bowls, plates or baking dishes. Pour arrowroot flour, salt and pepper  into one bowl or dish and lightly beaten eggs in the second dish.

5. Dip nuggets in egg mix and then into the arrowroot flour mix. Coat well and place back on cookie sheet. Continue until all the chicken nuggets are breaded well.

Photobucket

If you would like to freeze the chicken nuggets, do so at this point. Place cookie sheet in freezer for 45 minutes (or until nuggets are frozen on the outside) and the place chicken nuggets in freezer friendly container or ziplock bag.

6. I liked these chicken nuggets baked, but you may fry them in coconut oil too. They will get pretty dark in color. To bake, pour ghee, melted butter, melted coconut oil or melted lard/tallow over chicken nuggets. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until they are cooked through. Make sure to flip nuggets half way through cooking. You may have to cook them a little longer if you are baking them straight from the freezer.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Susie September 7, 2011, 7:00 pm

I always just cut chicken breast meat into chunks. I never thought of blending up chicken breast and chicken liver. That's a good way to eat chicken liver! I might have to try that!

• Debbie September 8, 2011, 9:50 am

What a great idea! I'm going to try making these for my toddler. I love the idea of adding chicken liver for extra nutrition.

• Katie @ CookGardenSew September 9, 2011, 2:23 pm

Like Susie said, I have cut up breasts for nuggets but never thought to make a “meat paste.” Thanks for the recipe!

• Kathy Felsted Usher September 9, 2011, 3:38 pm

After hearing how they are processed I won't eat chicken nuggets in restaurants anymore. Yours, even with the liver, I trust! Maybe I'll try this- Thanks.

• Jill@RealFoodForager.com September 12, 2011, 6:28 pm

Hi,
    This post is so informative. I would love for you to come
    share it at FAT TUESDAY. I hope you will
    put FAT TUESDAY on your list of carnivals to visit
    and link to each week!

• Jo's Health Corner/www.naturallysports.com September 14, 2011, 5:42 pm

Thanks for sharing this great recipe on the Living Well Blog Hop!
    This is great because our family is grain free and my children would love these nourishing nuggets. I will definitely give these a try.

• lisa November 21, 2012, 8:01 pm

I would like to know: when you are ready to bake them you just pour the warm oil on top? It doesn’t pull off the coating?

• The Coconut Mama November 21, 2012, 10:20 pm

Yep! It will not take the coating off. :)

• Alicia November 30, 2012, 2:38 pm

My friend and I made these yesterday and they were delicious! What a great way to sneak in liver!

• The Coconut Mama November 30, 2012, 2:50 pm

Alicia » I’m glad you enjoyed them! My three year old loves them :)

• Katrina February 1, 2013, 12:46 pm

Would this work using coconut or almond flour instead of arrowroot?  We’re on gaps right now….

• Leigh Whannell February 7, 2013, 10:54 pm

I’m wondering if you have a suggestion for replacing the egg? I have an egg intolerance. Also dairy…maybe coconut milk? I’m desperate! They look so good and I want to incorporate more liver into our diets! Thanks. :)

• Mollybiz February 16, 2013, 4:38 pm

If you plan on making the small nuggets, reduce the cooking time. Mine were in for the full hour and each exploded like the turkey in Christmas vacation when Clark cut into it. And don’t put the chicken in the vita-mix or you will be wrestling a q-tip in the blades trying to get the raw chicken.

• Barbara Sampson May 29, 2013, 4:07 pm

is Arrowroot flour the same as arrowroot powder?

• Kay June 6, 2013, 4:04 am

This is just what I was looking for! Thanks

• Jeni June 11, 2013, 10:04 pm

I doubled the recipe and made these today for 6 kids and they ate them ALL and were very vocal about how good they were! I used almond flour since we are on GAPS and they were quite tasty! I had an issue with the coconut oil smoking up the oven and house, but it was worth it. :) Thank you for the wonderful recipe!

• Ladonna m June 23, 2013, 5:58 pm

These were AM-AZ-ING!!

• lawuiro November 22, 2013, 12:51 pm

3N0C Lately i have been lacking in $$ and debts were killing me from all sides!! That was UNTIL i decided to earn money on the Internet! I landed on surveymoneymaker point net, and started filling in surveys for straight cash, and yes, i’ve been greatly more able to get around financialy! i am happy, I did this!! UZ5A

• Janell January 23, 2014, 6:31 pm

I know this is an old post but it’s new to me. We had these tonight and they were a hit. I even got some into my pickiest eater so there kids! Eat liver. It was my first time with liver as well. Thanks for the easy introduction. :)

• Erin March 19, 2014, 8:03 pm

Made today. Was delicious. I added bit of basil and garlic powder to the meat too. I dredged in xantham gum( didn’t have arrowroot). Tried a few toppings the one my daughter liked best was half coconut flour and half almond meal. I baked mine but only 15 minutes each side. I used a medium cookie scoop to make balls and flattened them. Good recipe I’m sure I will use again.

• Jen August 25, 2014, 3:58 am

Have you tried baking them first then freezing? I want to have ready for school lunches. Advise please.

• Maria October 24, 2014, 8:42 am

You could do that too, Jen. I’m not sure that I see the point though, since either way you’d end up having to cook them after the freezer. I think for small nuggets the hour baking time is too long. If cooked from fresh they should take about 30-35 minutes. From frozen, probably about 45-50 minutes. Plus you could easily pop them in the oven as needed from the freezer on the night before.