Coconut Shrimp {Grain Free}

Last week was my birthday. I always treat myself with specialty foods on my special day. This year I made my favorite dish, Coconut Shrimp! It’s always fun to experiment and make foods you love healthier. These turned out so good I don’t think I’ll ever miss the kind battered with white flour and fried in nasty vegetable oils!

Coconut Shrimp
{Grain Free/Gluten Free}
Photobucket

• 1 pound wild shrimp, deveined
  • 1 organic egg, preferably pasture raised
  • 3/4 cup organic shredded coconut, unsweetened {where to buy shredded coconut}
  • 1/2 cup arrowroot powder
  • 1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon  coconut sugar (optional)*
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • dash of pepper
  • refined organic coconut oil for frying {where to buy coconut oil}

*If you prefer you coconut shrimp to be sweet, add the coconut sugar. I personally enjoy coconut shrimp dipped in a sweet sauce, but with just a little added coconut sugar, I did not miss the sweet dipping sauce :).

Step 1. Heat coconut oil in a small saucepan on low-medium heat. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. You can slice the shrimp from the top of the tail to the tip if you would like your shrimp to be butterflied.

Step 2. Beat egg and set aside. Mix shredded coconut, arrowroot powder, coconut sugar, sea salt and pepper together in a separate bowl.

Step 3. Dip shrimp in egg and coat in coconut mixture. Make sure to coat each shrimp well. Add one shrimp to the hot oil. The shrimp should take 3-5 minutes to cook and turn golden brown. If it turns brown too fast, turn the heat down and test another shrimp. Once the temperature of the oil is right, continue to fry the rest of the shrimp.

Serve and enjoy!

This recipe is linked to Monday Mania @ The Healthy Home Economist, Fat Tuesday @ Real Food Forager, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday @ Simply Sugar & Gluten Free, Real Food Wednesday @ Kelly The Kitchen Kop, Homemaking Link-Up @ Raising Homemakers, Simple Lives Thursday Hosted by GNOWFGLINS, A little Bit Of Spain In Iowa, Sustainable Eats & Culinary Bliss,

• Jill@RealFoodForager.com November 30, 2011, 4:24 pm

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

• Marcia December 1, 2011, 12:25 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! I was craving fried shrimp, but with my gluten sensitivity, I haven’t had any in a long time. I made these for supper last night, and my husband and I both loved them. They didn’t need any dip.

• The Coconut Mama December 2, 2011, 4:25 pm

Marcia, I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for coming back here to let me know you tried the recipe and liked it :)

• JJ December 11, 2011, 1:20 am

Wow. Just made these and they were delicious! I used sweetened coconut (all I had) so I skipped the sugar. My family gobbled them all up! : ) Thank you!

• The Coconut Mama December 12, 2011, 3:40 am

JJ – I’m so glad you and your family enjoyed this recipe! :)

• Nancy December 17, 2011, 1:21 pm

Can you tell me the difference between the refined and unrefined coconut oil? Which is healthier and most used?

• The Coconut Mama December 18, 2011, 9:19 pm

Both refined and unrefined are very healthy for you. The only difference is the extra virgin is raw and will taste of coconut. If your not a coconut lover or if you don’t want all of your food to taste like coconut, then you wouldn’t want to use the unrefined. I use the refined coconut oil for most of my cooking because my husband prefers it. I do use virgin coconut oil for skin moisturizer, oil pulling and for my smoothies.

• Becca September 18, 2012, 8:17 am

This looks delicious! Would it be possible to use coconut flour in place of the arrowroot powder? I’m about to start a no-starch diet and haven’t cooked with coconut flour yet so I’m not sure how that would turn out. Thanks!

• Randi February 25, 2013, 6:49 am

Do these freeze well? I have 2 lbs of shrimp and want to be able to cook them and then freeze them for the kids. I want to pull out a few at a time and reheat in the toaster oven. Tell me if that is possible with this recipe?

Thanks! Looks great!

• Gaby Neal July 12, 2013, 9:31 am

How much oil did you need in the pan? Have you ever baked them? Love the fried taste but new to cooking with a lot of hot oil. Thanks!

• Greg February 26, 2014, 6:11 am

Looks like I found what I will be making for dinner tonight! I have the same question as one of your earlier comments… have you tried using coconut flour instead of the arrowroot? Curious if one is better than another.

• comprar semillas de marihuana feminizadas March 25, 2014, 9:51 pm

Wondeerful sin embargo Me preguntaba queriendo saber si usted podría
    escribir un litte más sobre este tema ? Yo estaría muy agradecido agradecido si pudiera elaborar un poco
    más más . Muchas gracias !