Coconut Covered Raisins: A Dairy Free “Yogurt” Covered Raisin

It all started with a craving for yogurt covered raisins…

I browsed through my pantry and pulled out a few ingredients.

|raisins|
|coconut butter|
|coconut oil|
|raw honey|
|vanilla|

I melted the coconut butter, coconut oil, raw honey and vanilla together and poured the mixture over the raisins. I let the raisins cool and harden in the refrigerator.

I broke up the coconut coated raisin clumps into small pieces  for my two-year old and I to snack on. Delicious!

Coconut Covered Raisins

Heat coconut butter, coconut oil, raw honey and vanilla extract in a small sauce pan over low heat. Stir until all the ingredients are combined. Take of heat and pour over raisins. Mix well and allow the mixture to sit for 5 minutes or until raisins soak up the coconut mixture. Spread raisins over a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and place in refrigerator until cooled and hardened, about 30 minutes. Use a spatula to break up the coconut covered raisins. Serve and enjoy!

Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.

This recipe is linked to Simple Lives Thursday

• gabriela March 28, 2012, 9:08 pm

Good luck ,Great post,y love you!

• Lisa @ Real Food Digest March 28, 2012, 9:31 pm

What a great recipe!! I may try adding some cocoa powder for a chocolate version as well.

• The Coconut Mama March 28, 2012, 10:04 pm

I bet that would taste wonderful!

• Jill@RealFoodForager.com March 29, 2012, 3:57 am

Very cool idea!

• Kalinda March 29, 2012, 8:23 am

Hi Coconut Mama,

I couldn’t find a contact for you anywhere so I’m asking here. I write a weekly gluten-free, vegetarian recipe roundup. It goes out every Friday. The format is pretty basic: name of site, link to a specific recipe, and photo underneath. I plan to include these raisins this week. If it’s OK with you, I’d be happy to include a picture from the post. I think people are more interested in recipes if they can see a picture, but I always like to ask first.

Thanks,
    Kalinda

• Kitty March 29, 2012, 11:29 am

what’s the difference between Coconut butter and coconut oil?

• The Coconut Mama March 29, 2012, 6:28 pm

Coconut butter is pureed whole coconut meat.

• Erica March 30, 2012, 8:22 pm

I just made these! Delicious! I added almonds, which were great tasting but not as coated as the raisins. These are pretty rich tasting so you don’t need to eat a lot. I think these would make a great homemade gift, super good.

• Gabby @ the veggie nook March 31, 2012, 4:26 pm

I loved yogurt covered raisins and I miss them so much sometimes. This is definitely bookmarked! Awesome idea :)

• Jonathan April 2, 2012, 9:53 pm

I’m really interested in trying this! How well does the recipe work without the coconut butter? (it’s a bit difficult to get here, plus I don’t have a food processor…)

• The Coconut Mama April 3, 2012, 5:46 pm

I’m not sure! I haven’t tried it without the coconut butter. Sorry I couldn’t help more :(

• Jonathan April 8, 2012, 4:20 pm

No problem! Come to think of it, using just coconut oil wouldn’t have been much better – no way to dissolve the honey then and just as pricey :P

I tried making a batch with a package of creamed coconut that I happened to find in my pantry, figuring it would be a pretty good substitute. And it works well – it’s just a bit difficult to get the honey and vanilla to mix properly. Damn tasty though. Will try again!

• Shanna July 28, 2012, 11:43 pm

I just made this but the coating didn’t melt down thin enough to make a coating, it was like a thick paste. I even added some extra coconut oil and it was still too thick. I mixed it into my raisins as best I could then kind of smashed it between two sheets of wax paper. Just put it in the fridge and I’m hoping for the best. Not sure what happened I followed the measurements exactly. The only thing I can think of is that it was the last of my coconut cream concentrate. Maybe the bottom of the jar was thicker?

• Krystal Caddow-Levine March 28, 2013, 5:11 pm

Wow! These are rich! I also added almonds, didn’t coat the almonds as well as the raisins but still did the job. Kind of tastes like cookie dough.

• Amy April 7, 2013, 7:54 pm

Would this work with a different ‘butter’, such as sunbutter? I might try this.

• Lolo2228 November 5, 2013, 12:10 pm

Wayyy to sweet for me. Perhaps with a quarter the amount of vanilla would do.

• Ginthemusicmama November 13, 2013, 4:05 pm

If I don’t have coconut butter could I just use regular salted or unsalted butter?