Nutrient Dense Bone Broth

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Ten Benefits of Bone Broth

Bone broth is one of the healthiest foods we can consume. If made properly, it will be rich in minerals like calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Bone broth is also a great source of gelatin.

When I first began to delve into traditional foods gelatin and organ meats where the two foods I had the hardest time consuming (I still struggle when it comes to eating liver). After learning of the health benefits of gelatin I started adding it to my diet. I now consume copious amounts of gelatin from bone broth and powdered gelatin. Gelatin is wonderful for the joints, it is anti-inflammatory and reduces cellulite and wrinkles!

Bone broth is fairly easy to make. For convenience, I like to make broth in my crock pot. If you are following the GAPS diet I highly suggest you follow Jenny at Nourished Kitchens recipe for perpetual broth. I made perpetual broth throughout my pregnancy with my son. It was the easiest way to consume several cups a broth a day as recommended by The Weston A. Price Foundation.

How to make nutrient dense bone broth

I usually roast a chicken in my crock pot once a week. I remove all the meat which we use for dinners or for making nourishing chicken nuggets. I save all the bones and juices from the roasted chicken to make my broth.

Step 1.
I fill my crock pot with chicken bones, carrots, onions, celery, sea salt, 2 tablespoons of vinegar and filtered water. I let the bones soak in the vinegar/water mix for 30 minutes to an hour. If I skip this step I usually don’t end up with a gelatinous broth. The vinegar works to leach the minerals from the bones, which makes the broth more nutritious.

Step 2.
Turn the crock pot on low and allow broth to simmer for 3-24 hours. I’ve noticed that my best broths have been made from truly pasture raised hens. When I cannot afford pasture raised hens I purchase organic chicken from the health food store for making broth. Homemade bone broth is much more nutritious than store bought broth!

Storing Broth

I usually store all my broth in my refrigerator. Our family of four uses it up before the week is over. If you are not going to use all your broth within a week you will want to freeze it. I really like to use ice cube trays to freeze extra broth. This way you always have small portions of broth on had for when you need it.

Using Bone Broth

Use your homemade broth in place of store bought broth in your recipes. Drinking a small cup of broth with meals will help with digestion, particularly if your eating lean meats. I was a vegetarian for some time and when I began to introduce meats back into my diet I had a very difficult time digesting them. After doing some research I learned that lean meat isn’t the easiest food to digest. Drinking broth with meat meals helps with digestion. Use bone broth for cooking grains and legumes too. If you are on a tight budget consume broth on days you are unable to eat meat. Sally Fallon states in Nourishing Traditions that, “Animal fats and gelatin-rich bone broths both spare protein, which means that meat goes a lot further when eating in a broth or combined with animal fat. Individuals who must restrict protein consumption for budgetary reasons should include liberal amounts of good quality animal fats and budget-sparing bone broth in their diets.”

QUESTION OF THE DAY

Have you seen any health improvements since adding bone broth to your diet?

Linked to Fill Those Jars Friday, Freaky Friday, Frugal Days Sustainable Ways,

• Zsa Zsa November 9, 2012, 2:10 pm

Since I have been having daily meat broth I haven’t creaved chocolate and sweets things.

• Kathy @ Granny's Vital Vittles November 12, 2012, 7:47 pm

I’m always forgetting about the anti-inflammatory properties of broth and I really need to keep it firmly in mind since I’m working to reduce my asthma symptoms … thanks for the reminder :-). I’ve shared this one on facebook!

• The Coconut Mama November 12, 2012, 9:57 pm

• Moses Goldstein November 14, 2012, 6:50 pm

If the smell bothers anyone in the house, a crock pot allows you to plug it in outdoors (or in a shed, if critters are an issue)

• D Lee November 17, 2012, 8:32 pm

Do you emulsify the bones and then add them back into the broth?

• The Coconut Mama November 17, 2012, 10:56 pm

D Lee » No. The minerals from the bones seep into the broth. Strain the broth after it is finished cooking and discard the bones.

• voices4us November 21, 2012, 9:20 am

Please realize store bought chicken will contain arsenic in the bones as the chickens are fed an arsenic supplement to speed up growth!

• The Coconut Mama November 21, 2012, 9:29 am

That is why I say pasture raised or organic. I’m not telling anyone to buy conventional chicken.

• natalie garner December 11, 2012, 4:18 pm

I use chicken frames from the organic butchers  (occasionally add the frame from our roast,  which I have frozen toearlier in the week)  with onions, carrots, leek or celery and garlic cloves. I add vinegar and filtered water, but dont leave it for 30 mins before turning on, my broth is usually pure liquid, is this still good? I make soups so freeze it in several old glass passatta bottles :) Might start adding it to the spaghetti bol and chilli con carnie dishes…

• Stefscooking January 1, 2013, 8:37 am

Tiffany, I am interested in participating in your gelatin project and am particularly interested in leaning how to make my own. This recipe sounds lovely but I am sensitive to a certain protein in chicken and can only eat it infrequently and in low quantities.  And always organic or pasture raised.  Do you have a tip or two on using beef bones, instead? (again… always grassfed no hormones no antibiotics, or organic.)

Thanks!

PS… I have different e-addresses for different purposes.  You’ll have me under 2 of them.

• Jenny Glade January 1, 2013, 2:01 pm

Slow cooker prize or gelatin.

• Honeybee March 20, 2013, 12:13 pm

This is what I grew up eating/drinking in Mexico. My mother never bought canned broth. We always make it and use it for soups, rice, drink straight with some chopped raw onions, cilantro, jalapeños and a squeeze of lime with corn tortilla on the side. It’s called “consomé”. Eat real food, I’m glad people are going back to basics and traditional foods.

• jax March 21, 2013, 11:50 am

Is it possible to can this broth so that you don’t have to freeze it?

• Guest March 27, 2013, 4:07 pm

We are a fami

• hauf November 22, 2013, 1:09 pm

7EU2 Lately i was down on money and debts were killing me from all angles! That was Until i learned to make money on the Internet. I visited surveymoneymaker p net, and started filling in surveys for money, and surely I’ve been greatly more able to get around financialy!! i’m glad, that I did this! With all the financial stress these years, I really hope all of you will give it a chance. rm2n

• Nathalie December 19, 2013, 7:17 am

The quickest way to make a luxurious thick gelatinous broth is to use a pressure cooker. Just add the bones to it, fill with water and some veggies (like celery/onion/carrots and I LOVE ginger and garlic) and cook for 20 mins. Almost ALL nutrients are retained in pressure cooking (studies show 95% retained vs 40% if you boil (that is for 5 mins.. after boiling 24 hours in the crock pot I’m not sure if there is anything left at all?). I’d rather have a nutrient rich broth that takes minutes with no vinegar soaking etc.. the pressure breaks things down so quickly and makes the broth incredibly rich. No steam escapes so all nutrients stay in the broth. Just thought I should share this as most people don’t know about pressure cookers.. I also make ribs in 15 mins like this (then grill for 2 mins per side).. so tender!!!

• Betty January 9, 2014, 6:25 pm

Im new to all this. If I buy a organic chicken and cook the chicken, then eat it and save the bones and then use them in the crock pot w/ this recipe…Will that be the same?