Raw Coconut Yogurt

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

I’ve been asked by several readers to post a recipe for dairy free yogurt. After testing and reviewing several complicated recipes I have found a simple recipe that I feel comfortable suggesting to my dairy free readers.

Most of the coconut milk yogurt products found at the grocery store contain unsafe additives like gums and carrageenaThis homemade coconut yogurt only has three ingredients.

Once you’ve made your coconut yogurt you can add natural sweetener, flavor and spices to suit your taste. I like to add raw honey and vanilla!

raw coconut yogurt

This recipe makes two cups of yogurt.

Equipment
Food processor or high quality blender
Glass jar for culturing

Young Thai Coconuts can be found at most health food stores, but check your local Asian Market for the best prices. I can purchase a box of coconuts for under $15 at my local Asian Market!

Open coconuts and reserve coconut water. Spoon the coconut meat from coconuts and puree in food processor. Add coconut water one tablespoon at a time until coconut puree is desired consistency. Pour coconut mixture into a glass jar. Open probiotic capsules and mix them into the coconut mixture. If you are using vegetable culture, open package and add to coconut mix. Cover tightly with lid and allow coconut yogurt to ferment for 24-48 hours on the counter. Check yogurt after 12 hours and taste. The yogurt should have a slightly sour (yogurt) taste. Once fermented, yogurt can be sweetened (if desired) and stored in the refrigerator. Keeps for one week.

What is your favorite yogurt flavor?

Mine? Vanilla. Boring, I know. But its my favorite :).

Linked to Make Your Own! Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday, Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Simple Lives Thursday,  Pennywise Platter Thursday,Fight Back Friday,

• mishia November 12, 2012, 6:53 pm

to frement, do you leave it out on the counter or do you refrigerate it?

• The Coconut Mama November 12, 2012, 6:59 pm

mishia » Yes, you do! I just updated the recipe to mention that! :)

• Laura November 13, 2012, 9:24 am

If I have coconut milk, could I just add the starter to that? I know it may not be raw…

• The Coconut Mama November 13, 2012, 9:33 am

Yes! That will make coconut milk kefir! Yogurt is a little tougher to achieve because coconut milk doesn’t thicken like dairy milk does. That is why so many commercial coconut milk yogurts add gums and junk to the product. It makes the yogurt thick!

• Laura November 13, 2012, 9:37 am

OK. Thanks for your quick reply!!!
    So, would I used 1 can of CM to one package of vegetable starter? That’s what I have is packages of starter. I didn’t realize I could use probiotic capsules. Next time I go shopping… lol

• Sally L November 15, 2012, 3:33 pm

Is it possible to use unsweetened shredded coconut if you can’t get the actual coconuts? If so how much would you use?

• The Coconut Mama November 16, 2012, 9:57 am

Sally L » Sally, I’m not sure who it would work! I haven’t tried this recipe with dried coconut meat. There is also a big difference between mature coconut meat and young coconut meat too. You need to use young coconut meat for this recipe. Shredded coconut is made from older mature coconuts.

Sorry I’m not more helpful!

• Alison November 16, 2012, 10:21 am

You can get frozen young coconut meat in the freezer section of your Asian market as well!

• The Coconut Mama November 16, 2012, 1:57 pm

Alison » I have found frozen young and mature coconut meat from the frozen section too! I use the frozen mature coconut meat for making raw coconut milk and the young coconut meat for making yogurt and raw coconut wraps! http://thecoconutmama.com/2011/03/coconut-wraps-recipe/

• Meghan @ Whole Natural Life November 16, 2012, 12:25 pm

You are brave–I’ve been too scared to tackle whole coconuts. I also don’t know where to buy them. There’s a big Asian market a couple towns away that we shop at to get coconut cream, though, so maybe I’ll try there. Do you only buy organic coconuts?

I’m sharing this on Facebook and Pinterest.

• The Coconut Mama November 16, 2012, 1:54 pm

Meghan @ Whole Natural Life » Hi Megan! No I don’t buy organic coconuts anymore. Bruce Fife says there isn’t any reason to buy organic coconut because pesticides aren’t used on Palm trees.

• The Coconut Mama November 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Meghan @ Whole Natural Life » Thanks for sharing :)

• Meghan @ Whole Natural Life November 16, 2012, 3:09 pm

That is really good to know about coconuts and pesticides! I hadn’t heard that before. I won’t worry about buying organic coconut products from now on, then. Thanks. :)

• Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures November 18, 2012, 5:42 pm

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

• lindacrh November 25, 2012, 7:09 pm

I would love to try this recipe, but I live in an area where fresh coconuts are impossible to get. There are several places that carry young coconuts but 4 out of 5 coconuts in my area are moldy on the inside. I have wasted SO much money on coconuts that I ended up throwing away that I’ve given up on them and turned to packaged coconut products. Is there a good recipe using something like So Delicious coconut milk? Or even unsweetened dried shredded coconut meat? I’d love to make my own, but if the ingredients are not available, then they are not available. I am so hoping to find a recipe that doesn’t depend on finding fresh raw coconuts in good condition.

• lindacrh November 27, 2012, 8:24 pm

Thanks! :-)

• Cultured Palate (@culturedpal) November 28, 2012, 1:07 pm

I have never tried coconut yogurt but I like vanilla raw milk yogurt. You have given me courage to try it!
    Come over and share this on Thursday at Tasty Traditions: http://myculturedpalate.com/

• usa chat rooms (dot) org June 25, 2013, 12:03 pm

can someone tell me how much it costs for a 1 lb. bag of frozen coconut meat in the stores?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama June 25, 2013, 12:05 pm

Every store will have a different price. I’ve found some at my local Asian Market for around $2. Some stores charge $4-$5.

• usa chat rooms (dot) org June 25, 2013, 12:44 pm

thank you for quick response. is it grated or still in pieces, chunk/ whole form?

• L July 27, 2013, 2:27 am

Is it possible to freeze the yoghurt to save for eating later?

• Sasha August 12, 2013, 7:55 pm

Hi. Thanks so much for this recipe. I have read through the comments below but I’m still not sure – in your experience does frozen young coconut meat work for this recipe/making raw coconut yogurt?
    Thanks for your time and assistance :)