Einkorn Snickerdoodle Scones

Have you ever had snickerdoodle scones? I had never heard of them until I saw a recipe on facebook from one of my favorite fitness bloggers, GoKaleo

. I love scones and snickerdoodles, so I knew I would love this recipe.

I decided to use einkorn flour rather than wheat flour. I really enjoy the taste of einkorn over wheat and spelt. Einkorn is the oldest variety of wheat and is supposed to be easier to digest than regular wheat.

Einkorn SnickerDoodle Scones

• 2 cups organic einkorn flour – Where to buy flour
  • 3 tablespoons of coconut sugar or rapadura
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 5 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 cup whole organic cream

Cinnamon and Sugar Coating

• 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or rapadura
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Use a food processor to mix the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon together. Add butter to food processor and pulse until butter and flour are combined. Pour in cream and pulse 3-4 times, or until dough is formed. Scoop dough out of food processor and onto a floured surface. Gently knead dough into a ball. Flatten the top of dough and form into a 8-9 inch wheel. Cut into 8 wedges.

Mix coconut sugar and cinnamon together in a pie plate. Take each wedge and dip into cinnamon/sugar mix. Coat both sides of each scone with mix and place on a large cookie sheet. Place scones in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until scones are golden brown.

Want to use sprouted einkorn flour for this recipe? I’ll be sharing a tutorial on how to make your own sprouted einkorn tomorrow!

Snacker-Bottom

• Rachel January 23, 2013, 5:12 pm

Will definitely have to try these.  I’m just about ready to give up on einkorn flour.  Most everything I’ve tried so far has tasted good, but been a complete flop looks-wise…I mean, they just fall completely flat and don’t have the right consistency.  Any ideas?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 24, 2013, 2:07 pm

Hmmm. I’m pretty new to baking with Einkorn. I’ve used spelt for years though. I find that sifting the majority of the bran out makes for prettier baked goods. The flour I used for this recipe was sifted.

I’m going to be posting more einkorn recipes in the future. Hopefully I can answer more questions as I experiment more :)

• Jilybuck19 January 24, 2013, 12:18 pm

If you have Celiac disease, is there a way to make these Primal, i.e. use Almond flour or coconut flour?  I’d love to make these, but am not sure how to substitute these for regular flour.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 24, 2013, 2:09 pm

:( I’ve tested with coconut flour and every time the recipe was a flop!

I avoid nut flours because they are so high in PUFA.

• Windsilver January 24, 2013, 1:57 pm

I will be staying tuned for the GF variation of these !

• areanna2006 January 24, 2013, 1:59 pm

I have been using Einkorn and love it but not many recipes available. Can’t wait to try this one. My daughter can’t tolerate dairy. Can I use “coconut cream” instead?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 24, 2013, 2:10 pm

I didn’t test this recipe with coconut cream, so I can’t say it will work. I think it is worth a try though! Please let me know if you test it and how it turns out! :)

BTW I’m hoping to post a lot more einkor recipes in the future!

• Katie January 25, 2013, 6:09 pm

I love scones! And I am so excited to try these. My family is super Scottish, so I am super excited to try a real food scone recipe so I can enjoy these little buggers again. Thanks for posting such a tasty looking recipe!

– Katie
    girlmeetsnourishment.com

• Jes1776 January 29, 2013, 3:56 pm

Do you have to use cream to make this recipe turn out right? Do you think raw milk or coconut milk would work?

Also, I came across a recipe on line for “no rise einkorn bread” ( can’t remember the exact ingred, but I know it was 5 cups flour to 1 3/4 c water. If google no rise einkorn I think it will come right up). Basically you mix the ingred together the night before, let sit covered overnight in a  dark place, and next day knead slightly and toss into a preheated Dutch Oven at 450 for 30 min. Going to give it a try today.

• Michelle Robson February 6, 2013, 11:48 am

These sound amazing Tiffany :)!