Homemade Jello

Can you believe that jello is a health food? It really is! Especially when it’s made with grass fed gelatin and fresh squeezed juice. As I mentioned the other day, gelatin is a very nourishing food. It helps to repair the gut, promotes healing and growth in the body, is ani-inflammatory and is pro thyroid. Gelatin is also known to promote weight loss and reduce sagging skin and cellulite! Jello is also a really great way to get kids to eat gelatin! I’ve made jello with several different combinations of fruit juices and coconut water. There hasn’t been a batch my family didn’t like!

Homemade Jello

• 4 cups fresh squeezed fruit juice or coconut water
  • 3 tablespoons grass fed gelatin (add 1 more tbs if you like your jello really firm)
  • 3 tablespoons honey (optional)

Directions Pour juice in a medium size saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin powder over juice and stir. Turn the heat on medium-low and bring the juice to a simmer. Mix until gelatin is dissolved. Turn off heat and add honey if using. Pour into a 8×8 square baking dish. Refrigerate until jello is set, about 2 hours. This recipe is linked to Pennywise Platter Thursday

• Debra January 3, 2013, 10:04 am

Can this be made with Agar Agar?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 4, 2013, 6:00 pm

Here is a recipe using agar agar – http://cookeatthink.blogspot.com/2008/03/agar-agar-jello.html

You won’t get the health benefits of using gelatin though.

• Treekisser January 3, 2013, 7:16 pm

Where do you get the grassfed gelatin?? I’ve missed eating jello, so excited for this recipe! Thank you!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 4, 2013, 5:58 pm

You can find it here – http://www.amazon.com/s/?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=grass%20fed%20gelatin&tag=thecocmam-20&link_code=wql&_encoding=UTF-8

• Joette Calabrese January 4, 2013, 4:02 am

The brand linked above is grassfed…Great Lakes Gelatin.

• Sara January 4, 2013, 6:47 am

I just ordered the Great Lakes Gelatin a few days ago so I could make my own jello. This recipe looks great, I can’t wait to try it!

• Vtcurlies January 4, 2013, 6:54 am

The link above is for pork (porcine) gelatin and according to Great Lakes website the pigs are not grassfed.  However, the beef is.  Here’s the link for that: http://www.amazon.com/Great-Lakes-Unflavored-Gelatin-16-Ounce/dp/B001ELLBJS/ref=pd_sim_gro_1

• missy January 4, 2013, 11:13 am

Do you have some favorite juices, I am not sure what type of fruit I would use?

• basyfeltn January 4, 2013, 1:27 pm

orange, lemon, pineapple (if precooked), strawberry, apple, grape, tomato, pear, strawberry banana, are all flavors you should be able to make fairly easily.  even peach or apricot would be good.  all can gotten from raw fruits if you desire, except Kiwi and pineapple have to be cooked to stop enzymatic action which will prevent jelling.

• missy January 6, 2013, 3:40 pm

Thanks to both of you that replied to my question. Those are all great suggestions. I think I am going to try adding cinnamon oil for my flavoring!

• Nikki June 14, 2013, 10:24 am

How do you cook the pineapple? how long?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 4, 2013, 5:55 pm

I used a mix of pineapple and cococonut juice for this batch. I like orange jello too!

• Rachel January 21, 2013, 1:20 pm

Do you juice your fruits then?  I just got a juicer and while I’ve heard that you don’t get much juice relative to the amount of fruit put in, I was still a bit surprised by how much fruit ($) it would take to make 4 cups.  I’ve only done grapes and apple (plus carrots and celery) so far so maybe I’ll have better yield from other fruits.

• daynateachespiano January 4, 2013, 12:43 pm

Thank You! My girl has the flu and I wanted something soft for her throat and nourishing as well. This will be perfect :)

• Allison Almond-Serna January 7, 2013, 7:00 pm

I just made this for my daughter. Some nights it is a real fight to get her to eat a “real” dinner.. and so tonight I just gave up… she got a chicken leg, and white cranberry peach jello, and she loved it! I feel better knowing that hardly any chemicals was in her dinner.

• Shalley January 14, 2013, 5:16 am

I raise grassfed animals and make my own bone broths.  How would you adjust this recipe for fresh gelatin instead of powder?  And, how do I make the powder?

• Erin April 30, 2013, 3:53 am

I love your recipes and have made many of them! Do you have a recipe for jelly? I don’t want to buy it and any recipe I have is full of sugar and at this point I don’t know if the pectin I have used in the past is something I want to use in the future. I don’t really know much about it and I need to read up on it. I wondered if you could use gelatin in it’s place. Thanks!

• Kristina May 29, 2013, 11:48 am

I made your Jello recipe last night and this morning I found that the gelatin didn’t solidify. i used 4 cups Odwalla strawberry juice and 3.5 tbsps Great Lakes Gelatin. I brought it to a gentle simmer on the stove and then put it in a square baking dish. I chopped up 4 fresh strawberries and added them to the dish. Then I put the whole thing in the fridge.

Do you have any idea why this didn’t turn out? We ate it with a spoon out of a bowl this morning. My kids were not impressed. ;P

• Bill in Durham June 12, 2014, 8:58 am

If buying the Great Lakes brand of gelatin, make sure you buy the red/orange cannister which solidifies and not the green cannister which doesn’t solidify.

Great Lakes recommends 1 TBL gelatin per pint of liquid, so 4 cups of juice should only take 2 TBL of gelatin. You can use more if you want a thicker result. You can probably use less if your original liquid is more viscous than juice.

Great Lakes recommends splitting your liquid into 2 portions – 1 to warm and 1 left at room temperature. For a 4 cup recipe I would probably heat 3 1/2 C & leave 1/2 C at room temp.

Their recommended process is to warm the larger liquid portion and add whatever other ingredients you wish to include. Once you’re finished adding ingredients to your warm liquid, add the gelatin to the room temperature
      liquid while whisking to incorporate to prevent lumps.

Then leave it alone (to “bloom”) for a couple of minutes before adding the warm mixture to the room temperature mixture while stirring to dissolve the gelatin.

Pouring into pre-chilled pan or ramekins speeds up the gelling process a bit.

• Martha November 15, 2013, 4:49 am

I want to make cranberry jello for Thanksgiving – Do you have any recipes or ideas? Please help!