Homemade Junior Mints

homemadejuniormints

I love junior mints! I was craving these delicious candies this week so I decided to recreate them with healthier ingredients. The mint filling is made with just coconut oil, raw honey and peppermint extract. I used soy free chocolate chips to coat the mints. These are pretty easy to make and they taste soooo good! Enjoy!

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Homemade Junior Mints

ingredients2

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Whip coconut oil, raw honey and peppermint extract together with a hand mixer. If the coconut oil is liquid you will want to refrigerate it until it is solid, but not rock hard. The whipped filling should look like the image above.

Place filling in refrigerator for 5 minutes. Use a small cookie dough scoop or 1/2 tablespoon measuring spoon and scoop out small junior mint size pieces of mint filling. Place each piece on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Return the mints to freezer until you are ready to coat them with chocolate.

In a small saucepan over low heat gently melt the chocolate chips. Once melted, remove from heat. Take mints out of freezer. Use a spoon to coat each mint with melted chocolate. Place chocolate covered mints back on the parchment paper and return to the freezer. Keep mints in freezer until the chocolate coating is hard. Serve mints immediately or store in refrigerator.

Makes 1 1/2 cups of mints.

juniormints1

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Christy July 4, 2013, 10:23 am

I am making these today! Happy Independence Day!

• Aleutia July 5, 2013, 9:16 am

These look great, but what’s a good alternative for the honey in this recipe??
    Thanks and have a great day. (:

• Jennifer Stohr July 7, 2013, 8:57 am

I’d use brown rice syrup, or pure maple syrup for the honey. My daughter is allergic to honey, so we use those two or agave nectar as a replacement.

• Michelle December 22, 2013, 9:55 am

Hi, Jennifer. Since I’m vegan, I am wondering which one you’ve liked better as a honey substitute. I was thinking agave, but also have brown rice syrup and maple syrup. Which one does your family like best?

• Snac July 7, 2013, 10:37 am

Will try recipe…thanks.
    love the homemade chocolate recipe I used Camino Fair Trade coco apowder (I puchased in Canada) ……fabulous…if you haven’t tried Camino you must!

• Stephanie Hsiao July 7, 2013, 5:43 pm

Is it possible to use peppermint essential oil?

• Beth July 17, 2013, 6:07 pm

I would think so. It may be even better, but compare the labels. For example, a lemon extract I found had undesirable ingredients while an organic essential oil was more pure. Worked great in my recipe.

• Somethings Cookin July 17, 2013, 6:34 pm

I’d be careful ingesting any essential oil. It’s very potent and not intended for internal use, despite popular claims lately.

• Michelle July 30, 2013, 8:24 pm

Doterra essential oils are perfectly safe to injest because they are theraputic grade

• Somethings Cookin July 30, 2013, 8:39 pm

Which is all the more reason to be careful. I suggest doing some independent research.

• Charity September 12, 2013, 9:07 pm

Oh, really? And what non-biased regulatory group determines what qualifies as theraputic and certifies essential oils by grade? What’s that you say? There isn’t one? Yeah, I didn’t think so. Doterra is a rip-off. As long as your are 100% pure, they’re pretty much all the same.

• Backatcha October 9, 2013, 1:17 pm

Are you this mean to your friends, or is it just here???

• Tamara September 15, 2013, 4:05 pm

Michelle — don’t believe it. Do your own research. No reputable EO company would promote the internal use of EOs without the supervision of a trained natural doctor or herbalist. If you do your own independent research, you will find that to be true. Many of the rest of us cringe when we hear this from EO direct-marketing representatives.

• Jen September 23, 2014, 6:33 am

I have been using peppermint essential oil internally for years and have had zero ill effects. NO not all essential oils can be used internally but peppermint is one that can be. YES by all means do your own research and choose what you feel is best for your and your family.

• mdmd July 8, 2013, 11:25 am

Thank you, I love junior mints, a healthy replacement is awesome!

• Glame Grame' July 17, 2013, 9:49 am

Could you use Coconut Butter instead of Coconut Oil?
    I still <3 junior mints, peppermint pattys, just don't have them much anymore. Now I will feel a whole lot better about having them.

• Anonymous July 26, 2013, 1:33 pm

I would actually use coconut butter instead of the oil. I made these today and they were weird with coconut oil.

• Somethings Cookin July 17, 2013, 6:33 pm

Yum!

• April July 19, 2013, 3:59 pm

There is a food grade peppermint oil that I want to try on Amazon. There’s 1/2, 1, and 2 ounce sizes. Just search: “Peppermint Oil, DOUBLE DISTILLED, Food Grade” the seller is Heavenly Harvest Inc. (The reviews are good!) I believe I also found it on eBay.

• Krystena July 24, 2013, 3:52 pm

My chocolate seems to be sliding right off of the mint filling…any suggestions?

• Faith November 8, 2013, 4:27 pm

Mine too. I think next time I might try using mini-muffin cups… layer of chocolate in the bottom, freeze, scoop of mint filling freeze, then more chocolate on top and freeze.

• Faith November 8, 2013, 4:28 pm

I also think it depends on what kind of chocolate chips you use. I used the homemade ones from this website which are pretty liquidy, but when I’ve melted chocolate chips from the store before it was much thicker.

• jdibby July 26, 2013, 5:17 am

Extra virgin or Expeller Pressed coconut oil in this recipe? Going to make them tonight!

• jdibby July 26, 2013, 5:19 am

Extra Virgin or Expeller Pressed coconut oil….which is best for this recipe?

• toxicbeautyblog July 27, 2013, 12:47 pm

Wow, these look good! Wish I could make them for our movie date tonight but I don’t have any peppermint extract. :(

• Kathy July 27, 2013, 2:19 pm

In place of peppermint extract, you could use the oil normally used in hard crack candy. Use in tiny amounts and keep tasting ( only a very tiny taste will tell you how strong it has become.) It is intended for consumption. Did I miss it, or is there a nutrition count for these, it would have to say how many mints for the recipe. Neat idea.

• Senior Helpers Jenny Lind July 27, 2013, 7:10 pm

Hi, I am finding it difficult to find chocolate dessert or candy recipes that utilize fresh mint. Nor have I been able to find a method for converting extract to its fresh equivalent. Any suggestions?

• Tracy Snyder Furze September 11, 2013, 8:33 pm

looks yummy! going to use my Young Living Peppermint essential oil.

• marilyn Norfleet October 8, 2013, 8:30 pm

Young Living is the ONLY oils I would use for skin or internally.
      AND they are perfectly safe:) whohooo

• Ana November 23, 2013, 2:18 pm

Thanks so much for this! As a Junior Mint lover, but a clean eater in progress, I never thought I could find something that tastes so much like the real thing but with much better ingredients! They are phenom.

• Patti Schuller January 18, 2014, 6:07 pm

When I printed the recipe- it created 2 big pics of the mints- the front page pic was huge and uses tons of ink- great recipe but see if you can down size the pics or at least take one of the recipe- thank you

• The Coconut Mama January 20, 2014, 4:29 pm

Patti – Thank you SO much for your suggestion. I’ve removed the images by default when printing a page, but for future reference there is a tick-box that gives you the option to either include or exclude images if desired :)

• Crystal Dristiliaris May 11, 2014, 8:17 am

These were wonderful! Only problem is I can’t stop eating them :)

• Suzanne August 20, 2014, 10:12 pm

This is perhaps a silly question to post on this website, but: This recipe looks great and I’d love to make it for my family. Unfortunately, my husband really dislikes coconut flavor. What’s the best type of oil to have that flavor not noticeable?

• GTH September 22, 2014, 2:44 am

If you use refined coconut oil it will have very little to no coconut flavor. The peppermint will cover any small amount that may be there.

• Kathleen September 23, 2014, 8:12 am

I found this recipe almost two years ago. I swear I’m not exaggerating, but I’ve made these ever since, rarely have I skipped making them and I eat two a day…..every day! I’m addicted! They are absolutely the best treat ever and so so good for your body!!
    I try to encourage my friends with children to make these instead of giving them the sugary options.
    Tiffany, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!!!

• Kathleen September 23, 2014, 8:21 am

I’ve noticed some comments, although they’re older, about the chocolate running off. I had this problem too and I think it’s because the chocolate is too hot and it’s melting the coconut oil. Therefore, I allow my chocolate to cool slightly before dunking. I also use a fork to remove them from my bowl of chocolate so the excess chocolate can run between the tongs and not get wasted by running all over the parchment paper. I also triple my recipe because I love them that much and eat them daily. Saves me time. Speaking of…..time to get in my new batch!! I hope this helped. :)

• Jill September 24, 2014, 9:39 am

Made these with my son. Yes had to let my chocolate cool. They are in the freezer can’t wait to try them and neither can he. Found your site thru wellness mama on FB. :)

• Amy November 1, 2014, 11:16 am

I used maple syrup :) the color wasn’t white but the taste was great.

Next time I’m going to try almond extract :D & I’d like to try to make Choc covered cherries with this recipe.