Tip: Make Your Own Vitamins and Supplements

DIY Vitamin & Superfood Supplements

Happy Tuesday! Every Tuesday I share a tip that I have found useful in my kitchen or home. Today I’m sharing a tip on how you can save money by making your own superfood supplements!

Long time readers will know that I’ve been making my own desiccated liver capsules for several years. Desiccated liver and nutritional yeast are two food based supplements I take while pregnant and nursing. The Weston A. Price foundation recommends pregnant and nursing mothers eat 3-4 ounces of liver, once or twice per week. Why don’t I just eat liver? Well, I’m not fond of the taste (though I do manage to sneak it into a few recipes now and then). The only way I can handle eating liver on a regular basis is to supplement.

I have purchased desiccated liver capsules but they are a wee bit expensive so I make my own. There is some labor involved but it saves me a lot of money and it’s fun to do!

Using a capsule machine is really helpful for cutting down on the time it takes to fill the capsules. I also use my capsule machine to make nutritional yeast capsules, bentonite clay capsules and egg-shell calcium capsules. You can also make herbal capsules like these herbal anti-inflammatory capsule and homemade herbal cold care capsule from Frugally Sustainable.

How to make your own vitamins and supplements

DIY Supplements

Equipment NeededDIY Superfood Supplements

More Ideas

Learn more about superfoods from The Weston A. Price Foundations Guide to Superfoods.

Make sure to follow the directions that come with the capsule filler machine you purchase. I own this one and it is very easy to use. All you have to do is insert the capsules, pour powder supplement over the base, use the tamper to press the powder into the capsule, add more powder if needed, then place the top on the base and press. The capsules come together and pop out. Easy-peasy!

List Price: $17.95
Current Price: $15.60
Buy Now
Price Disclaimer
Snacker-Bottom

• Rebecca August 6, 2013, 8:31 am

I am trying to make the liver capsules…I sliced it very thin and dehydrated it for over a day and a half and it was still bendable , not crisp. I can’t see how it will blend into a powder. Any ideas?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama August 6, 2013, 8:36 am

Try blending up a few pieces to see if they grind up. You may need to let them dry a little longer.

• equateur August 7, 2013, 12:12 pm

I cannot envision any meat product getting ‘dry enough’ to make into a powder. Freeze drying comes to mind as a possible route, you’d have to figure out how that is done, in order to fracture it into a ‘powder’ form. Typically creating powders from solids is not practical on a small scale. There are very hi tech systems commercially that do that.. create a slurry of a total liquidation of the product, put into suspension into feed lines and go thru nozzles which atomize it, hit it with high temps air blast into capture vessels and driers, and collect the powder. I’d just eat the liver or buy bulk liver powder if eating it is not your thing.

WAPF groups are great resources for info around the country. You can find them online at their home page. Shouldn’t need saying, but just for those who aren’t up to speed, I’d never use anything but organic or grass fed at a minimum, livers. It is the major toxin clearing organ in the body. GMO grains are creating mayhem with various organ meats of all farm animals.

“Standard Process”® brand supplements of these kinds are top line.. in Wisconsin from their own organically raised livestock, and they are reasonably priced, IMHO. MANY totally organic hard core naturopaths recommend their products with complete confidence.

If you resolve your DIY dilemma with a DIY method, it would be interesting to let us know here how you accomplished it? (FYI, for what is worth, I’m 60+ and grew up meat cutting, DIY on an organic farm, do my own encapsulating on some items, and walk the talk, as they say.. lol) . Great that people are working these things out on their own, and sharing ideas to find worthwhile solutions! I love it.)

• michelle August 10, 2013, 4:11 pm

Cool post! I am pregnant so I think I will go ahead and make the liver pills. Can you make cod liver butter oil pills with this pill filler? I bet that would be a huge mess though. Hummm…

• Angelia April 23, 2014, 1:42 pm

I purchase medical cannabis oil pills that they make this way. Love them! So you can, but you will have to use an eye dropper to fill each capsule.

• Sonia August 10, 2013, 5:52 pm

I’ve use done of these for years to pack up bulk chlorella and grapeseed extract, dried clinatro and others.

I also keep a few made just with pure coconut flour. If anyone ever has ‘the trots’ just tell them to pop one of those and they’ll be right within an hour. If I have some bread or such made w/coconut flour, that’s even better but sometime you don’t. I keep them at work and have helped a few co-workers in need. They’re always amazed that it’s food and nit some drug and yet works so well.

• Beachy Keen August 14, 2013, 9:19 pm

I’m pretty sure “nutritional yeast” is basically MSG. You may not want to take that when you’re pregnant.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama August 15, 2013, 12:12 am

Natural, low heat processed nutrtional yeast does not contain MSG. I do beleive the highly processed stuff does contain small amounts of MSG.

Dried nutritional yeast is an excellent natural source of B complex vitamins (except for B12) plus a variety of minerals.Yeast has also been used successfully to treat diabets.

• Miranda August 16, 2013, 7:47 am

How many capsules do you take per day?

• myhello August 18, 2013, 2:07 pm

Where is a good place to buy Quercetin and Bromelain and how do I make a 500mg capsules of these? secondaccount@juno.com

• Chris Carrieri January 10, 2014, 7:51 pm

why would I take bentonite clay capsules?

• Claudia January 17, 2014, 7:50 am

Hi, thanks for posting this! I have the same capsule maker and would love to make some garlic pils for my father, as he doenst use garlic in his food. What would you recommend, could I buy organic garlic powder and incapsule that? Chopping up garlic and just putting it in a capsule without dehydrating/dying it first would spoil the garlic, I think?

Thanks again for the info!

• Carla January 27, 2014, 3:06 pm

I wanted to take nutritional yeast but it gags me. This is a great solution – I can buy in bulk from my co-op. One thing I’ve been trying to find out about nutritional yeast. I looked up the nutritional info for Frontier brand (recommended by Fallon, et. al.) It lists all the B amounts, but it kinda sounded like they were added in, not naturally occuring in the yeast, but I could be wrong. Do you know which it is? Thanks!

• Carla January 27, 2014, 3:22 pm

One more thing – the yeast in your picture looks more like a powder. Do you have to run the flakes through a food processor or blender to get that consistency?

• Farah February 15, 2014, 7:56 am

Great info, just I wonder how the eggs-hell inside the pill will incorporate into the body as it is contained and not enough time in the digestive system to extract its active ingredients and make it bioavailable.
    Thanks,

farah

• Heather August 17, 2014, 11:35 am

Has anyone tried to encapsalate turmeric? I wonder what the proper dosage might be?