How Much Coconut Oil Should You Eat A Day?

How Much Coconut Oil Should You Eat A Day?

How much coconut oil should you eat a day? This is a question I’m asked often. To be honest, I don’t measure the amount of coconut oil I consume in a single day. What’s most important to me is that I’m consuming this wonderful oil daily! I cook with it, bake with it, add it to my smoothies and to my tea or coffee in the morning.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

How Much Coconut Oil Should You Eat A Day?

What do the experts say? Dr. Coconut, Bruce Fife has the answer to this question.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Watch and learn:

How much coconut oil do you eat a day?

Learn more from Dr.Bruce Fife:

List Price: $18.00
Current Price: $4.91
Buy Now
Price Disclaimer

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• barb January 8, 2014, 8:57 am

My alternative health practitioner says that 1 TB is enough, and that more than that will make most people gain weight. This is based on her experience seeing clients for the last 25 years. You can use applied kinesiology to muscle test your body and see how much it wants. Mine wants only 2 tsp per day. It’s healthly for sure, but it still needs to be taken in moderation

• Ole April 2, 2014, 7:23 am

If you or your health practitioner believe that you gain weight from Fat, then neither of you have understood how the body works! Understand Paleo, LCHF, Keto! The only thing that makes people Fat, are wrong Carbs!

• lou April 5, 2014, 1:13 pm

are you kidding me?! ok, then add a jar of coconut oil to your daily diet and see how it goes. really, go for it.

• nik April 9, 2014, 3:57 pm

If you are eating a diet high in carbs and sugar on a daily basis, you shouldn’t eat a lot of coconut oil because your body isn’t adapted to burn the fat properly. You will definitely gain weight if you are eating a lot of coconut oil on top of the average American processed food diet. Training your body to use ketones as fuel by adding healthy fats to your diet will aid in fat loss, but only if you cut carbs and sugar.

• Kat January 8, 2014, 11:46 am

Hey Barb,
    Sorry but your information on coconut oil is false. Fat does not make you fat! Hope you will continue to research and discover the truth about healthy fats and oils. Eat as much coconut oil as your body desires, it may be more or less depending on the individual. Many people have improved their health on a high fat diet. Good health to you!

• Michelle January 8, 2014, 12:22 pm

Fat might not make you fat, but increased calories do. And if the only thing you do to change your diet is eat more coconut oil, then you will gain weight due to an increase in calories.

• rebecca January 8, 2014, 12:57 pm

This is not necessarily true, either. If you eat 5,000 calories of bread, carbs and junk food, you will gain weight, not necessarily from the calories but from the food you eat. If you eat 5,000 calories of healthy saturated fat, good proteins and healthy complex carbs, chances are you won’t gain an ounce.

If what you say is correct, then people (even me, as a thyroid patient) would lose weight just by cutting back on calories. This is not true. At all. It doesn’t work that way. Especially not in the long run.

• connie January 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

you are 100 % correct Rebecca, there isnt any carbs in it, and zero sugars.it has 40 calories a tsp, and the good news to this is that it is an inti inflammatory, an anti bacterial, helps to kill yeast bulid up and fungus,when used regularly, can even be used as a mouthwash and it will heal up gums, called oil pulling, and it is an immune builder, read up before you get overwhelmed . if you do use coconut oil use a good name like tropical traditions, as the oil from walmart simply is not even close to the quality of the name brand.and i see now where you can even buy coconut oil pills now if you have trouble swalling a tsp of it. we put it in coffee or smoothies and its much more tolerable

• SammieB January 8, 2014, 6:22 pm

If I ate 5000 calories of just fat (or a combo of carbs, protein whatever) I would def gain weight. Although I believe in a low carb/high fat diet, ultimately there is something to calories in vs. calories burned. And I would have to exercise a great deal to burn off 5000 calories a day. I also have a thyroid problem.

• Amy January 9, 2014, 8:08 am

I eat like a pig….coconut oil, bacon, butter…cheese. BUT….I get grassfed and organic, nitrate free etc. I workout burst training 3 times a week 10 min. And some weight training. I HAVE LOST 115 lbs….Good fat equals healthy nonfat body!

• The Coconut Mama January 9, 2014, 6:48 pm

Good for you Amy! Very awesome to see healthy fats eaten and STILL see weight loss!

• Kim August 18, 2014, 5:00 pm

I love your comment Amy!

• Linda August 29, 2014, 8:25 pm

I lost 40lbs. last summer without an oz. of exercise (because of an illness) when I started eating cooking and whatever else coconut oil. I now make my own tooth paste and deodorant with coconut oil and I just love it.

• ZANDI MORRIS October 22, 2014, 12:40 pm

what kind of bacon is nitrate free???? I believe in coconut oil,grassfree butter and never use any oil excpt coconut oil and use Sargento off the block cheese—–love bacon but afraid of Nitrates

• Meg October 27, 2014, 8:19 pm

Zandi, I get nitrate/nitrite free bacon too and it is delicious! You have to get uncured meat. Nature’s Promise and Applegate Farms make it, along with others. Whole Foods carry a bunch.

• Jessica T January 8, 2014, 11:58 am

I don’t know how much I have in a day. Probably not enough, though I am working on trying to consume it more daily, I tend to forget to consume things daily because life has been super hectic since last July. It’s hard for me to remember to do things during the few minutes a day we are actually at home! (I’m not home now for example, while talking and thinking about all this.)

• rebecca January 8, 2014, 12:54 pm

Ugg,I hate watching videos. HArd when you have a hearing loss. I rarely will click on a video. Even at Dr. Mercola’s site I don’t watch the videos but he always has a summary of what the video’s highlights are.

• Cindy Green January 8, 2014, 1:56 pm

I agree with Rebecca…how much does he say we should consume???

• Beth January 8, 2014, 2:10 pm

In the video he says 1-3 TABLESPOONS per day is ideal to get the health benefits.

He also says any amount is better than none, so 1 tsp is better than not having any. However, for the many health benefits, he recommends 1-3 TBS.

He also said it may be easier for people to take it right off a spoon or knife when it’s in a solid state below 76 degrees.

FYI, this is not in the video clip, but in his book on fighting Alzheimer’s and other neurodegenerative disorders, he suggests a therapeutic dose of 5 TBS for people already showing signs of neurodegeneration, and 2-3 TBS as a maintenance dose for prevention.

• Jen Arnold January 8, 2014, 2:12 pm

1-3 TBS per day but any amount is better than none. :))

• John April 8, 2014, 11:49 pm

I read somewhere online that if you eat/take more coconut oil than your body wants it will pass through your digestive tract fairly quickly – like in four hours or so. I ate about four heaping teaspoons one AM and it was about 3.5 hours for me. I have cut back to about two heaping teaspoons in the AM and not heaped them up quite so much and that situation has not happened anymore.

• The Coconut Mama January 8, 2014, 8:10 pm

Hi Rebecca, that’s a great suggestion! I will keep that in mind from here on out!

As the other commenters pointed out, he suggests 1-3 TBS a day.

Much coconut love!

~ Tiffany

• Nikki January 13, 2014, 6:06 pm

Do you use ASL Rebecca? Just curious, if so, would you be more likely to watch an interpreted version of the videos? I’m an Interpreter and have considered offering this service to bloggers. Wondering how much of a demand there would be. I personally, rarely click videos but for different reasons obviously. I’m just too impatient, would rather skim read for the information.

• Dana January 9, 2014, 2:42 pm

I give my mother 3-5 T a day. She is in the beginning stages of Dementia. I have noticed that her personality and vitality came back after I started her on the coconut oil. But I have to give it to her every day, it’s not a one time fix and that’s it. It’s pretty amazing to see her improvements. I cook with it, use it as a moisturizer, and recently tried swishing it in my mouth (oil pulling – it’s hard to do for very long…but I’ll keep working at it b/c I believe in it’s health benefits).

• Kaitlin January 9, 2014, 3:10 pm

If it’s solid at room temperature it’s solid in your arteries, careful for those with heart conditions! I have done years of volunteer work in the heart unit of a Vancouver hospital, they do not recommend this type of oil for anyone that is worried about plaque build up or extra stress on blood flow/the heart.

• Kyrstin January 9, 2014, 5:43 pm

Kaitlin, that’s a severely simplistic and uneducated view of how the body processes fats. Please tell me you were kidding!

• sue in CA September 26, 2014, 11:20 am

coconut oil solidifies at low temps it is LIQUID at high temps … as in body temperature … it will not clog arteries!

• The Coconut Mama January 9, 2014, 6:59 pm

Here’s some great info on concerns about artery clogging from coconut oil!

• gail January 12, 2014, 10:08 am

room temperature is approximately 70 degrees F for most people. our body temp is 98.6 F. what you’re saying would only apply to someone who is already dead with a body at room temp. i don’t know who the “they” are that you are referring to, but “they” are wrong. fats are only damaging to the heart/body when eaten along with a high carb diet.

• Beth January 13, 2014, 2:04 pm

Gail, I would amend your comment slightly to say that fake, manmade fats are damaging to the body while fats as found in nature are not.

It’s the type of fat that matters. Our ancestors’ diets were rich in natural fats like butter, lard, tallow and coconut oil — these are the good fats — and they did not suffer from heart disease and other modern ailments if they ate their native diets.

The fats to avoid are the rancid, free-radical laden ones made in refineries and factories: canola, corn, cottonseed, soybean, safflower, sunflower, and anything that has been hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated, including fake butter spreads (even the ones that say “0 trans fats”), crisco (a fake and harmful lard imposter). Also see my comment below in response to Kaitlin.

Think Manmade Fats VS Natural Fats.

Refined carbs, sugar and fake, manmade oils are the culprit in heart disease and many other modern diseases that simply did not exist before the advent of processed, industrial foods.

• Bridget January 12, 2014, 4:09 pm

I’m not a dr. however, it seems to me that if the oil is solid at room temp….65-75 degrees, then unless a “body” is dead………..I would guess that the oil would NOT be solid inside veins, heart, blood, etc………………….. just sayin’

• Bridget January 12, 2014, 4:15 pm

lol……….@ gail……………….. I just posted my comment……..and when scrolled up to see if it printed, as I don’t do this often………… I saw ur comment, what was almost exactly like mine………..looks like we think a great deal alike!!!!!

• Susan January 12, 2014, 4:16 pm

Just wanted to point out that coconut oil doesn’t flow through the arteries. That’s not how digestion works. And the body operates at a much higher temp than 76 degrees. If liquid could clog our arteries we would all be in trouble.

• Beth January 13, 2014, 1:41 pm

Dear Kaitlin,

The information you have been given is the reason why heart conditions continue to rise despite the fact that the low-fat diet has been in place since the 1970s.

The truth is that heart conditions were rare when things like butter, tallow, lard and coconut oil were staples in our diets.

The heart is surrounded by saturated fat because it NEEDS saturated fat — nature is not making a mistake. Please see the wealth of accurate information on the Weston A. Price Foundation website, among many other places.

Refined carbs, sugar and fake, manmade oils (industrial vegetable oils, margarine & trans fats) are the real culprits in heart disease.

Beth

• D'Lynne Garner January 15, 2014, 12:07 pm

My body is never room temperature, so the oil could not be solid in my arteries. That doesn’t even make sense.

• S. Johnsen May 18, 2014, 8:14 pm

Most people’s body temperature is around 98.6 degrees – much more than the 76 degrees at which coconut oil liquifies.

• sirena June 25, 2014, 1:07 pm

To all vampires, Don’t eat coconut oil! Lol dead bodies are room temp….

• Terri Kosinski January 13, 2014, 11:53 am

I use organic cold pressed coconut oil everyday. I put in in my smoothie’s, I cook my eggs in coconut oil, I sauté all my veggies in coconut oil. And every night after my shower I rub coconut oil all over my legs, arms, back. It is the best moisturizer for your skin. Better than any other creams that I have ever used. Every winter my skin gets so dry, but praise God not this winter, and it has been such a cold winter so far. When I sauté my garlic and kale in coconut oil it is so yummy. And it is so good for me…I love coconut oil for it as so many wonderful uses. I thank God for putting the coconuts in His wonderfully made garden.
    I cook for people and everyone loves the taste of coconut oil as well as the nutritional aspect of it.

• The Coconut Mama January 13, 2014, 1:04 pm

Terri – It’s great to hear comments like yours, wish I could “+1″ it!

Much coconut love!

• Mel January 13, 2014, 2:25 pm

We just spent a vacation week with a family friend who had a triple bypass 5 years ago and started eating a low fat/fake food diet on the recommendation of his cardiologist. I tried to point him to your website (as well as W.P.F, Butter Believer and others of that ilk) to give him some other information that might make him think differently about food, but he is a pharmacist and is totally committed to western medicine in all of its’ foibles. Every time I saw him open a package of veggie-sausages to eat with his Egg Beaters, I wanted to scream “There’s a better way!!”.

I “wash” my face with c.o. every night, stir it into my coffee, brush my teeth with it, feed to my dogs (who have never been softer and less itchy) i put it on cuts before I bandage them, even on those lovely monthly blemishes and they disappear in a day…I’m like the dad in “Big Fat Greek Wedding” with his Windex: I put it on (or in) everything!

• Terri Kosinski January 13, 2014, 2:47 pm

I totally agree with you that coconut oil is the best for so many things. Coconut oil is also anti-fungal and it supports brain health too. If you know anyone who has alheizmer’s disease coconut oil is so helpful for that too. My memory is 100% better since I have been using coconut oil for so many years. Even the years when people were saying it is a bad oil.

• candace | yogabycandace January 21, 2014, 9:51 am

haha, I absolutely love your comment! “Put some windex!” hahahaa. But you’re so right – coconut oil is useful for SO much. Besides eating it with a little raw honey and cacao powder (mixed together it tastes like frosting), I also cook with it, use it as body lotion, put it in my hair, and now, thanks to you, I’m gonna give some to my dog. Thanks!!

• Ashlyn Fellman January 13, 2014, 7:17 pm

I was eating 1 spoonful each morning, put another in my coffee, and then cooked with it for dinner and eggs for breakfast. I was using it when I found out I have celiac disease and lost 52 pounds in 3 months with little exercise. I am 20 and weigh 313 lbs. When I went back to college, I never used it, exercised every other day and lost 1-2 lbs a week.Cannot find anything for a cheap or decent price as money is super tight.

• Ferush cooper January 21, 2014, 4:49 pm

@Ashlyn if you send me an address, I would like to buy and send you some. My email is coopoz@yahoo.com

• mae summerville March 25, 2014, 3:40 pm

That is so nice of you !!

• keelee July 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

What a kind gesture

• Laura January 14, 2014, 11:22 am

can too much oil cause blood thinning? and what i you take blood thinners already?

• BJ March 17, 2014, 1:02 am

Coconut oil is a life saver. My hair was falling out. Coconut oil has stopped it. I have baby fine hair. And I am 44. This year my hair begain to fall out. I found out that I was going through the change a little early. I noticed my hair was very dry. So I started putting coconut oil on my hair at the beginning of my shower and then using my normal shampoo to wash it off. Sort of a reverse conditioner. I read somewhere that this helps the scalp and seals the cuticle. Well it has worked so well. My hair has stopped falling out. It is so soft and conditioned. I don’t have to used a separate conditioner. My scalp is healed I have no dandruff, no sore spots, no dry spots. I just love this stuff.

Btw, I am a heart patient I have been using butter and coconut oil for years. I got what is called a “calcium scan”. It is an mri of the major veins and arteries going in and out of your heart to see if there are any blockages. There has never been a 42 year old that walked in that had 0, meaning nothing. No heart clogging fat. I was the first heart patient they had seen. So that goes to show you not all fats are created equal. I have never eaten man made fats in my life.

• alison April 5, 2014, 10:59 am

BJ,
      Do you rub it into your scalp? Or just on the ends? And was wondering how long you leave it on before washing it out. I am 43..and have baby fine, thinning hair too. I have been eating the oil for months and my hair looks better. I am hoping washing with it will help even more, like it has for you!
      Thanks~ Alison

• patrick March 25, 2014, 2:43 am

there seems to be some confusion concerning -teaspoon / table spoon! could u please clarify.

• patrick March 25, 2014, 3:07 am

In reading these articles, ( which BTW, are very, very interesting)..i’m confused as to how – teaspoon / tablespoon should be written, could you please clarify!

• Inaz March 30, 2014, 3:00 am

@patrick Tbsp/tbsp/TBSP = tablespoon. tsp = teaspoon. Hope that helps!

• carla March 26, 2014, 4:07 pm

I experimented with eating 2 tbsp. in a smoothie every day for a couple of weeks. I didn’t change my diet in any other way and I didn’t increase exercise. I lost 2 lbs in 2 weeks. I found that it did suppress my appetite, so I guess that would have altered my diet.

• Wendy March 30, 2014, 7:45 am

I use coconut butter.It is Awsome to eat.

• Brenda Way March 30, 2014, 2:52 pm

Thanks for all the great recipes on this website. Just a question please, Do you think this could hurt my cholesterol? I love coconut very much I had heard one of the Miss America’s used to take 1 teaspoon a day no wonder she was so beautiful!!! Her skin was radiant from inside her body and out.

Well glad I found this website, I love it.

• Lori March 31, 2014, 10:56 pm

I read on snopes that oil pulling doesn’t really help with all that people states, can you support your view on how and why it works, I’m interested in it, but more for internal use, partially I don’t have any teeth to worry about? This is not meant to be a confrontation but I honestly want to know, so I can make an educated decision.

• Alicia April 23, 2014, 9:34 am

I’m not sure about all the health claims that are made. I started doing oil pulling when I quit smoking, to get rid of the stains. I also had a bit of tartar build up. The tartar seriously washed away after I brushed my teeth after the first time I did it, and they are alot whiter. My breath is alot better as well

• Nia Hanna April 7, 2014, 12:37 am

Hello,
    I was wondering how you add it to smoothies? I tried that ONCE and had chunks of solid oil (I use frozen fruit). Are you using room temp fruit, or enjoying the chunks of oil? Just curious how I can add this delicious oil to my smoothies from here on out. Thanks

• elin April 13, 2014, 5:30 am

@ Nia Hanna LOL @ enjoying the chunks of oil!! haha
    I just made myself a smoothie with (frozen) raspberries, coconut oil and some warm water ( to unfreeze the raspberries & to make the coconut oil softer) and then I mixed it all up and there were no chunks of solid oil ;)

• Carey April 17, 2014, 1:12 pm

I’ve greatly increased fat, especially saturated fat over the past year, and eliminated refined oils. Health improvements and general sense of well being rose significantly. In the last few weeks, I greatly decreased the amount of refined sugar and flour (even before this, I almost never ate out, and rarely have/had processed food outside the sugar and flour I bake with), and added even more fat to my diet– more coconut oil, red palm oil, lard, and butter (all from good sources). I wasn’t trying to lose weight, but I have removed 8+ pounds. When I consume fat at regular intervals, and am careful with sugar, I have no need to count calories. My body just manages to figure it out. Since I carry too much weight, my body is now releasing it. Feed the body what it needs, it will tell you. For the commenter who dares someone to eat a whole container of coconut oil… If my body craved a whole container of coconut oil a day, I would relent to that desire because it was obviously needing something from it. However, I doubt anyone is in that position. For many, a couple of teaspoons to several tablespoons is the most likely, and most reasonable scenario. 1 TBS=3tsp, has 120 cals. I think most people can budget in that amount of oil. And many of us can allot a few hundred more calories in.

• joseph john April 28, 2014, 4:26 am

Started taking 1 tips first thing in the morning in warm lemon water. Feeling a difference already and it really does help to keep your stomach clean.

• gail May 18, 2014, 6:29 pm

A question… I usually use Nutiva or Tropical Traditions coconut oil. My daughter bought a large jar of organic unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil at Costco recently for a lot less than what I normally pay for mine. In discussion with several others, it was mentioned that the cheaper brands have other ingredients added to them to increase the bulk; I see nothing mentioned in the ingredient listing to indicate any additional ingredients. If an oil says organic, unrefined, cold pressed shouldn’t it be equal to other brands saying the same thing…. is there a difference???

• Ellen Abrams May 18, 2014, 6:43 pm

Do folks use refined and unrefined for different kinds of cooking/baking?
    I’ve been using refined whenI need a higher heat and just the unrefinied for low or no temperatures…any thought?

• carol June 12, 2014, 9:01 am

I’ve just started taking 2 tsp of coconut oil every morning with my warm lemon water.
    I’ve noticed that I’m getting the runs. have you heard of any other affects like this?

• Barbara June 21, 2014, 2:48 pm

Yes, especially with MCT oil, which is coconut oil with the coconut smell removed. Body builders use it, etc.. You’ll just have to cut back the dose to 1 tsp. until you get used to it. Good luck

• Stefanie September 6, 2014, 2:02 pm

Be careful with MCT oil! I tried a small bit before a run and will never use it again! Had to stop so many times, if you know what I mean. Intense stomach cramps. Never again!!

• Cheryl June 29, 2014, 7:22 pm

Well, after reading all the comments below, I am THOROUGHLY CONFUSED!

• The Coconut Mama June 30, 2014, 12:50 pm

Watch the video and use coconut oil to cook with. That is all. :)

• Sandra R July 21, 2014, 5:39 pm

Hi there.
    I am making the transition to cutting out bad carbs and also wheat/gluten.
    I have stocked up on coconut oil (good organic, cold-pressed virgin CO), coconut flour, coconut sugar, eggs, honey (so that I can make bread).
    I have read and seen on Youtube clips that just swallowing it raw is good. I tried that and gagged. I tried 1TB in my coffee this morning and gagged. I can however take it with mashed banana. Is there any easy way of getting used to just *taking it raw*? Thank you for your reply, if you are able to. Sandra nz

• Sophie September 14, 2014, 10:52 am

You could freeze it in small pieces that you can swallow like a pill.

• Sophie September 14, 2014, 10:54 am

Or spread the oil on toast and spread honey on top of it.

• Jamie July 21, 2014, 6:40 pm

I eat a lot. Same as you. First thing in the morning. Coffee. All cooking done with it. I am Paleo so it absolutely does not make u gain weight. I have read as little or as much as you can get. Just get it. My dogs even get it!!!!!!

• Les July 23, 2014, 10:15 am

Started oil pulling two weeks ago , and was surprised, within two days my teeth were whiter, and the tartar buildup was gone. Today i put a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee, so i will let you know how it goes.

• Ginni September 15, 2014, 11:27 am

I’ve been taking the coconut oil softgels, they r 1000 mg, & made w/ organic extra virgin coconut oil. It says take 2 twice a day, but I’ve just been taking them once. Anyway, I was wanting 2 know if this was good… I just thought this was a easier way 2 take coconut oil. I feel better, I’m noticing my skin is looking better, but just couldn’t find anything on taking a supplement.

• Joyce October 16, 2014, 5:19 am

Can you please advise what type of coconut oil this will be ie virgin or regular. Also, does one just take it in its “bare” form as like one take some cough syrup? It is a bit disturbing to think of “drinking” oil. Thanks for your kind advice.

• Rhonda Rosser October 16, 2014, 3:14 pm

Unlike most posters on here, my experiences with coconut oil haven’t been that good. I use the shampoo and conditioner and my hair is still thinning, dull and lifeless. I put it on my skin for eczema and although some spots have gotten better, others are even worse now. My face and neck wrinkles are worse than they were 3 months ago! So for you that are having good results I’m happy for you. Just wish I knew why it hasn’t worked for me……………

• jennie October 18, 2014, 4:39 am

I am a huge fan of coconut oil. I never realized how awesome it was until about two years ago. I put this stuff on everything! My hair as a gel, in my conditioner, on my skin, on my feet, for oil pulling, as a facial moisturizer, on my wrinkles, in my smoothies, I cook with it, as a carrier oil, for sun burns, as suntan oil, for my nails, the list goes on and on. I have tried alot of different brands. Does anyone have a favorite they could recommend?

• Kathy November 14, 2014, 4:09 pm

My husband started taking 9 tablespoons of coconut oil a about two weeks before his blood test which he take every few months because of being diabetic. His Pancreas Lipase numbers went up to 1000. after two days when he stopped the coconut oil his numbers went down to a normal 30. could that be the cause? The Drs. now want to check him for cancer. I pray it was just to much coconut oil that he enguested and yes it is virgin oil. thanks for your input