Flourless Chocolate Coconut Butter Cake

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Flourless Chocolate Coconut Butter Cake

line1

Flourless chocolate cake is one of my all time favorite desserts. It’s silky, extremely rich and of course delicious!

The recipe below is based off of the flourless chocolate cake in America’s Test Kitchen Cookbook. Since I know that many of my readers are dairy-free and/or have food allergies I decided to alter the recipe. I substituted a mixture of coconut butter and coconut oil in place of the recipe’s call for butter. At the end, this recipe was exactly what I hoped it would be; a delicious chocolate cake with a light coconut flavor.

Beware though. Don’t leave the finished or half-eaten cake out where hands can easily get to them! We made this mistake and the next morning we found our son Auren polishing off the remaining leftovers of the cake. Oh how I wish I would have taken a picture for memories sake!

Flourless Chocolate Coconut  Butter Cake

slice

1. Pre heat oven to 325 degrees.
  2. Lightly coat an 8-inch spring form pan with coconut oil.
  3. Melt chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat.
  4. Mix coconut butter and coconut oil into chocolate and continue to heat the ingredients until the coconut butter is completely melted.
  5. Take chocolate coconut mixture off the heat and set it aside.
  6. Whip eggs with an electric mixer until doubled in volume. This will take 8-10 minutes.
  7. Carefully pour chocolate mixture into whipped eggs. Fold the ingredients together until they’re combined.
  8. Pour cake batter into greased spring form pan.
  9. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
  10. Let cool for 30 minutes.
  11. Sprinkle cake with shredded coconut before serving.

line2
line1

• Crystal March 21, 2014, 8:52 am

Could I sub butter for the coconut butter?

• Sue March 21, 2014, 10:28 am

Would love to try this version, where would I fine coconut butter?

• Sue March 21, 2014, 10:29 am

* find! Sorry!

• Barbara March 22, 2014, 4:45 pm

If you’re not worried about “beauty or perfection” can this be made in a regular cake pan if you don’t have a spring form pan?

• Fab March 24, 2014, 1:55 am

Am I right, 450gramm chocolate?

• Sara March 24, 2014, 5:47 am

I made this yesterday for my daughter who is on a diet free of dairy, gluten, egg yolks, peanuts and pineapple. I used egg whites (egg beaters, I think) and a glass 9″ pan with foil on the bottom. It came out a bit gooey – is that normal or could it have been a pan or egg white thing? I’ve never had a flourless cake before so that may be normal. It’s definitely very, very rich but oh so yummy! We’ll probably add syrupy strawberries to the leftovers though I’d like to try it with syrupy raspberries (I just don’t have any). THANK YOU do much for a cake that: 1) my daughter can eat, and 2) the entire family can enjoy!

• Sara March 24, 2014, 5:48 am

P.S. I went into town yesterday specifically to hunt down coconut butter so J could try out this recipe. I was NOT disappointed!

• The Coconut Mama March 24, 2014, 6:14 am

You’re welcome! I’m so happy your family enjoyed it. Yes, this cake can be a little gooey if you don’t cook it long enough. The egg whites may have been why it was a little on the gooey side too!

• Tara Pantera March 24, 2014, 7:36 am

I made this yesterday as a birthday cake. I kept tasting the batter to see if it was going to be sweet enough and ended up adding about 1/4 cup honey to the batter. It still wasn’t quite sweet enough for a bday cake, so I ended up making a chocolate cream cheese frosting….not Paleo at all, but like I said…it was a special occasion. After all was said and done, this cake was AMAZING. If you can find a cream cheese frosting recipe that fits with your diet, it was REALLY perfect. All those eggs and coconut butter together is just heavenly.

• Michael April 19, 2014, 5:44 pm

I love coconut butter and all coconut products. Unfortunately I don’t eat eggs and I know most if not all the coconut flour/butter recipes call for lots of eggs.

Looks like I cannot enjoy these recipes :-(

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Michael.

• jill April 30, 2014, 4:25 pm

You can use egg replacements-chia seed and water to replace egg. 1 egg=1Tbsp chip seed+3 Tbsp of water.

• Precious July 15, 2014, 10:09 pm

I’m trying to find a Paleo and egg white-free cake recipe for my daughter’s first birthday. My first attempt at subbing fresh applesauce for eggs and bananas for sweetener in a recipe I knew was good was a big fail. I then tried modifying another great recipe using only the yolks for the number of eggs required plus one large banana for a binder and sweetener, and it held together but was dry and bitter. I figured a coconut butter cake would be a good bet for sweetness and flavor. Although with my not using egg whites, do you think this would work using the yolks of the required amount of eggs and maybe two bananas? Plus I would like to use just cocoa powder for the chocolate, how well do you think that would work out? Sorry so long!

• Susan Parsley July 29, 2014, 12:57 pm

I enjoy your Facebook posts and always check out the recipes! It’s good stuff! I also enjoy ATK; but, like some of the other posts, I have to cook without eggs, too. I would love a cake recipe that would work without eggs. Flax eggs, etc, are not usually the answer. Has anyone been successful making a flourless, eggless cake? I haven’t tried the chia egg yet, but I assume it would be similar to the flax egg. Thanks and keep up the great work! I love coconut!

• Mellie July 31, 2014, 8:46 am

I recently happened upon a non-chia egg replacement technique online. It’s been working *great* for my recipes so far! I can do eggs, but don’t enjoy coconut flour recipes with too many eggs (such foods often end up tasting like omelets to me!), so I usually sub part or all with egg replacement.

Here’s the formula (per egg):

1+1/2 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
    1+1/2 Tbs water

Mix together; then add
    1 tsp baking powder

* THIS WILL FIZZ. Don’t let it sit long before using!

HTH