Our skin is the largest organ in our body. It absorbs 60% – 80% of what it comes in contact with. When you use commercial cosmetic products, lotions, perfume, oils and scrubs, all of the ingredients in those products absorb right into your blood stream. The ingredients in these products can be toxic and are even known to attribute to allergies, cancer and birth defects.
That is why I love to make my own beauty products. I know exactly what I am applying to my skin. The ingredients I use are natural ingredients that I have in my kitchen! I also love the fact that my kids get to grow up free of the toxic overload from the body products we use in our home.
Several years ago I worked for a Bath and Body company. I fell in love with their coffee and cocoa scrubs. The coffee scrub was known to help reduce cellulite. I found that the coffee scrub really helped to firm and smooth my skin.
I recently found out that it is the caffeine in the scrub that supposedly helps reduce cellulite. I do not claim that this scrub will reduce cellulite (though that would be an added bonus) but I will tell you that coffee and coconut oil are rich in antioxidants, which are very beneficial for the skin.
This coffee body scrub also smells amazing! I am a die-hard coffee lover, so I am in heaven when I use it!
Coffee Body Scrub with Coconut Oil
- 1 Cup Ground Organic Coffee
- 1 Cup Organic Sugar or Salt – Where to buy Organic Sugar and Salt
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Oil – Where to buy Coconut Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla (optional) – make your own
1. Melt coconut oil and allow it to cool but not solidify.
2. Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container or mason jar.
3. Use 1-2 times a week (or everyday if you like).
4. The coffee and sugar will exfoliate your skin and the coconut oil will leave your skin soft and moisturized.
Learn everything you need to know about essential oils in my Essential Oils E-Course.