This is my daughters new favorite snack! I’ve been trying to give her more fermented and cultured foods over the last few months. This apple sauce recipe along with full fat yogurt seem to be her favorite (for now).
You may be wondering why I ferment my apple sauce. Fermented foods are incredible good for the digestive system. They help build up good bacteria in the gut! Sauerkraut is one of the more popular fermented foods but unfortunately my kids don’t like it much.
Fermented apple sauce is a wonderful way to get kids to eat healthy, gut building probiotics in the body!
Probiotic Fermented Apple Sauce
(Makes 1 quart)
1. Core and slice apples.
2. Process apples in food processor until it reaches desired consistency. Add whey, cinnamon and salt.
3. Blend until smooth.
4. Pour apple sauce into a clean quart size jar (or 2 pint size jars).
5. Leave an inch of space from apple sauce to lid. If you don’t, you may have an explosion!
6. Place in warm place for 3 days.
7. Keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.