Are you using canola oil in your home? If so, you won’t want to after watching this video on how it’s made!
Recently on Facebook I posted a video of how Canola oil is made. For those who may have missed it the process is to say the least, disturbing.
Overview of how Canola Oil is made:
- Once the rapeseed is collected, magnetized rods attempt to remove any foreign metal that may have been introduced into the collection of seed.
- Afterwards, a 60+ minute wash of a hexane solvent.
- After the hexane wash is complete, a wash of sodium hydroxide is performed.
- The “natural” waxes are collected and used to aid in the creation of vegetable shortening.
- Bleach is then introduced to lighten the cloudy color of the processed oil.
- Steam injection is then applied to remove the bitter smell
For those who have watched the video and are still reading; rewind the video and re-listen to the first 30 seconds. “One of the healthiest cooking oils”? Yea. Right.
Want to know the how coconut oil is made? Watch. Don’t worry, you won’t be disturbed by this process.
Last Updated on