- 1 cup soy free chocolate chips (buy or make your own)
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup filtered water, divided
- 3 tablespoons grass fed gelatin
- 1 cup organic raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional: Shredded coconut, arrowroot starch or cocoa powder to coat the outsides of the marshmallows.
- Use a small scoop of coconut oil and grease the heart molds. Sprinkle molds with a layer of shredded coconut, arrowroot starch, cocoa powder or other coating of choice.
- In your mixer bowl, sprinkle the grass fed gelatin evenly over 1/2 cup of water. Let the gelatin sit for 10 minutes.
- While the gelatin soaks up the water, pour the other 1/2 cup of water in a saucepan along with the honey and the sea salt. Turn the burner on at a medium to medium high heat. Bring the mixture to a boil (watch it though as it likes to really foam up). Place a candy thermometer in the sauce pan and continue to boil the mixture until it reaches 240-242 degrees (the soft ball stage) or a drop of the syrup dropped into ice water forms a pliable ball. This could take anywhere from 10-40 minutes (give or take) depending on how hot the burner is size of your pot and even the humidity in the air.
- Use a stand mixer and set it to medium. Pour the honey mixture into the bowl a steady stream, combining it with the softened gelatin. Make sure not to pour it directly on to the beaters or the sauce will splatter. Make sure to pour it slowly or the honey may be too hot when it hits the gelatin causing the marshmallow mixture to break later when you try to spread it.
- Turn the mixer to high and continue beating until it doubles in volume, becomes light in color and the bowl is more or less cool to the touch, about 5-10 minutes. Add the vanilla and continue to beat a minute or two more.
- Pour marshmallow creme to the prepared heart molds. Smooth out the top with a spatula or back of a spoon. Make sure to do this quickly before the marshmallows begins to set.
- Allow the marshmallows to set for 4-6 hours.
- When set, remove the marshmallows by popping them out of the heart molds. Add more shredded coconut (or coating of choice) if needed.
- Gently melt soy free chocolate chips over very low heat. Add a teaspoon of coconut oil and mix well.
- Carefully coat each marshmallow with melted chocolate. Refrigerate immediately. The chocolate shell will harden in the refrigerator. Once the chocolate coating is hard you may serve the marshmallows.