- Preheat the oven to 300ºF
- Soften coconut butter by putting the jar in a pan of water and heating it over medium heat until it is pourable
- If using whole dates, blend dates in a blender (or food processor) with coconut butter until smooth.
- Add shredded coconut to coconut butter date mixture and blend until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners in a cupcake tin, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool before frosting and decorating.
You can top these cupcakes with whipped cream (culture the cream first for GAPS), honey buttercream frosting (see ideas for how to color it pink below!), or honey cream cheese frosting. Or, for a dairy-free option, make this coconut whipped cream.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- (If on GAPS) make cultured cream with 1 pint of cream, preferably raw and from grass-fed cows.
- Chill cream, then whip with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 1 TBSP raw honey, and whip until combined.
Honey Buttercream Frosting
- Whip 1 cup room temperature butter (preferably grass-fed) with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add 1 tsp. vanilla extract and 2 TBSP raw honey and whip until combined.
- To make the pink frosting, cook some raspberries in a pot on the stove over medium heat with a bit of water until soft, then strain the juice from the berries and whip it into the frosting.
Honey Cream Cheese Frosting
- Whip 12 oz. room temperature cream cheese (preferably probiotic with no additives) and 1/2 cup room temperature butter with a hand mixer until it is light and fluffy.
- Add 2 tsp. vanilla extract, 2 TBSP raw honey, a pinch of salt
- Whip until combined.
We like to add sliced strawberries and mint leaves on top for a fancy decoration!