These Paleo Millionaire Bars are filled with a delicious Medjool date caramel sauce over a tender coconut flour shortbread crust with a chocolate layer. This recipe can be made in less than 45 minutes.
- Author: Tiffany - The Coconut Mama
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 16 squares 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Coconut Flour Bar Crust:
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tbsp coconut sugar or preferred sweetener
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¾ cup coconut flour
Medjool Date Caramel:
- 1 heaping cup Medjool dates, pits removed
- 2–6 tbsp coconut milk, or preferred milk (you can also use almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter, etc.)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, unsalted butter, or coconut milk
- First, start by making the crust. Preheat the oven to 400° F. Line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl beat coconut oil, eggs, sugar, and salt together with a fork or a whisk.
- Then add coconut flour. Stir until dough holds together.
- Gather the dough into a ball, then pat into the parchment paper-lined baking pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until lightly brown. Let cool.
- While the crust is baking begin to make the Medjool date caramel sauce. Place the dates, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and salt into a blender or food processor. Start with a low amount of milk and add more if necessary. Blend until smooth. Taste test and add more salt if needed. If the date caramel sauce is not blending easily add more milk or water until desired consistency.
- Spread the Medjool date caramel sauce over the crust and spread using a spatula.
- Place the baking pan with the caramel sauce in the freezer to harden for at least 15 minutes so you can easily spread the chocolate layer.
- Next, make the chocolate layer. Add chocolate chips and coconut oil to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir, to combine. If the chocolate chips are not melted enough, microwave for another 30 seconds or less, and stir to combine. You can also melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips in a small saucepan on low heat, stirring continuously until melted.
- Pour the melted chocolate chips over the cold caramel sauce and spread using a spatula. Place in the freeze to quickly firm up or store in the refrigerator.
- To cut the squares, leave the bars at room temperature for a few minutes and very carefully cut into squares.
See tips below for how to troubleshoot the Medjool date caramel sauce.