WHEY & CREAM CHEESE

10169462_10204457579295050_7377111630978160306_n

This is a simple method of making whey and cream cheese. This is the best cream cheese I have ever had! So soft and creamy! I use the whey to make lacto-fermented foods and beverages like sauerkraut, ginger carrots, and beet kvass.
Photobucket
I use a fine mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth and place it over a large glass bowl. I pour yogurt over the cheesecloth. I cover the yogurt and let it sit overnight.

After sitting for a good 8-12 hours, you will find your bowl full of whey and a soft cream cheese in your cheesecloth.
Whey can be stored in refrigerator for several months. The cheese can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks (in my experience).

ad_spacer ad_spacer
ad_spacer ad_spacer

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• grass fed momma June 9, 2010, 6:08 pm

this looks so good and so easy! Love your blog and your tips are really helpful.
    deb

• Jenn June 13, 2010, 9:14 pm

I've have wanted to try making whey forever after reading Nourishing Traditions. But for some reason I'm very intimidated. Ms. Fallon suggests using a good quality store bought yogurt but I'm always nervous I'm missing something. You make it look so easy I could kick myself. Is this really ALL YOU DO???? I have been buying this exact yogurt for some time now but I have never attempted to make whey b/c i didn't trust this would be enough.

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama June 14, 2010, 12:31 pm

@ Jenn – Yep! That is all I do. Its very simple. Sometimes I hang the cloth if there is still more whey that needs to be separated. Making whey from yogurt is the easiest way to go. I've made it from milk and kefir in the past, but I prefer to make it this way.

Give it a try! I like to mix herbs and real salt into the cream cheese. It makes for a great spread =)

• Bethany June 23, 2010, 1:01 am

I love making whey and cream cheese this way. I did a post about it too a few weeks ago and included lots of fun different ways to use the whey. You can find it here: http://bethstedman.com/2010/05/28/make-way-for-whey/
    It's great to discover your site through Two for Tuesdays blog hop!

• BlessedFamilyof5 February 18, 2011, 10:26 am

Hi, I am very new to this way of feeding my family. I admit to being a health food virgin but I have been trying to add one new idea a week in the effort to change the way we eat. A few questions, and I know they are basic but here they go….where do u get cheesecloth? do you leave the it overnight in the frig or out? what do you cover it with? how does it not go bad? Thanks!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama February 19, 2011, 5:58 pm

@ Blessedfamilyof5 – you can purchase cheesecloth at most grocery stores. Usually in the baking supply isle. You can leave it out on the counter or in the refrigerator. It up to you. The live cultures keep it from going bad :). The whey will last up to 6 months.

• Lauren February 22, 2011, 6:19 am

I just tried making this last night, with a couple changes (based on what I had on hand) and it didn't turn out quite as expected.. Can you let me know what possibly went wrong?

First, I used organic Greek Yogurt (I think that may have been it, lol) Also, instead of cheesecloth, I used a jelly bag that I had for making nut-milks.. I let it sit over night, and didn't have much whey in my bowl, so I squeezed as much as I could. I got maybe a half-pint of whey out of a 32oz container of yogurt… is this normal?

I don't care of cream cheese myself (that part is going to be eaten by the boyfriend, haha) so I don't know how that turned out. Do you think that it will be OK? Should I try again with regular non-greek yogurt for better results?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama February 24, 2011, 2:55 pm

@ Lauren – Greek yogurt has less whey than regular yogurt. You will have better results with regular yogurt :)

• outsiderein March 10, 2011, 3:49 pm

I know this post is very old, but I was hoping you might be able to offer me some advice/assurance. I finally tried making cream cheese and whey last week from fresh raw milk. The cream cheese turned out VERY sour to the point that I couldn't eat it, even when I added maple syrup and cinnamon hoping it would cover up the taste. I asked a fellow Weston Price member about it, and she said she makes yogurt first and her cream cheese has always been sweet and mild this way. I wonder why? Could it be that the yogurt cultures a different kind of bacteria which produces a sweet, rather than sour/musty cream cheese? I'm almost afraid to try because I feel bad about wasting a cup of cream cheese :( but if you tell me it will work, I'll try. :) Thank you!

• Manuela March 16, 2011, 6:28 am

A couple of months ago I made creme cheese and whey for the first time. The creme cheese turned out a little sour and the whey developed 'white clouds' after a while. Is that 'normal' or is that mold?? Now I am a little intimidated and don't know if I should try again.

• Michele October 1, 2012, 1:25 pm

This may be a dumb question, can I use strawbeery yogurt and get strawberry cream cheese? Or shall I mix somekind of strawberrieness in after?

• The Coconut Mama October 2, 2012, 11:53 am

Yes, I do believe that will work :)

• Barb November 11, 2012, 8:42 pm

Can you make this dairy free

• Chris February 14, 2013, 10:09 am

Hi!  This is my first time here and am so excited to have found you!  I just made my first batch of sour cream and can’t believe how wonderful it came out!  It’s not that sour, but that’s fine with me!  Now I want to try making your cream cheese and whey.  I’ve learned how to make delicious sauerkraut and want to learn more!  I also want to learn how to make bone broth!  So, thanks so very much for your website!  (I found you on FB.)

• Antoinette April 21, 2013, 3:28 pm

Hello!!! How long will the whey last? Thanks!

• Lauren January 27, 2014, 7:00 pm

Is the cream cheese supposed to look like store bought cream cheese or runnier?

• Kathy September 14, 2014, 5:05 am

What is the difference between this process for making cream cheese from yogurt and making Greek yogurt. Both processes require draining the liquid (whey) from the yogurt?