I use vanilla extract in a lot of my baking. Unfortunately, the cost of buying organic vanilla (over $8 for 4oz) is too expensive so I decided to make my own. This homemade vanilla extract taste delicious and makes a wonderful gift during the holiday season.
Vanilla extract is so easy to make and tastes soo much better than the extract you purchase from the store. The longer the extract sits with the vanilla beans, the better the flavor will be! This is a great time to start making vanilla extract because it will be ready to use by the holidays. Make sure to make enough to give to family and friends for Christmas!Print
Homemade Vanilla Extract
- You will need approximately 1 vanilla bean for every 1/3 cup of alcohol. Carefully slice each vanilla bean open.
- Place vanilla beans into jars or flask. Pour appropriate amount of liquor over the vanilla beans.
- Close tightly and store in a cool dark place.
- Swish the bottles of vanilla once or twice a week. The vanilla extract will be ready to use within 4-6 months.
- You can remove the vanilla beans (I like to use them to make homemade vanilla ice cream) or leave them in the extract.