My coconut creamer recipe is crazy easy to make. All you need is quality coconut milk (here’s my “best coconut milk” explainer for all the info you’ll need), a healthy sweetener like honey, and natural extract. This dairy-free homemade coffee creamer comes together in minutes and is compatible with whole30, paleo and vegan diets!
I usually start my day with a cup of organic coffee with coconut milk creamer, sweetener and gelatin (for protein and to balance the carbs and fat). The coconut coffee creamer at my local health food store had several ingredients in it that I wasn’t too fond of, so I make my own instead.
Full fat coconut milk is very creamy and can be used as a creamer for coffee or tea. I like to add vanilla for flavor but you can leave it out if you’re not a fan. (Or if you’re REALLY into vanilla – consider my vanilla extract recipe.) If you’re one of those who don’t enjoy the taste (or texture) of coconut oil in your coffee then this recipe will come in handy. Full fat coconut milk contains the healthy medium-chain fats that are in coconut oil. Now you can enjoy your coffee without the greasy mustache! 😉
Coconut Creamer Recipe FAQ
This post was originally published in 2014 and there’s been a lot of questions so I’ve updated it to answer these. Keep the questions coming!
This recipe is easily adapted to keto by using erythritol or your favorite keto-friendly sweetener. If you’re using a powder, add 4 tablespoons to the coconut milk and mix. Taste the creamer and adjust to your liking. I’ve been adding this sugar-free simple syrup from Lakanto to my coffee and it’s really good. The caramel flavor is my favorite!
You can make this recipe up and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can make this recipe up and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. In the summer when ice coffee is a must, I like to freeze the coconut creamer in ice cube trays and add them to my coffee. Yum!
Um, yes. Coconut creamer is AWESOME in coffee because it’s just so creamy and flavorful. Try this recipe just once, and you’ll be a convert.
Coconut milk is the creamiest non-dairy milk, hands-down, no question. It’s not even close – because it has a higher saturated fat content than other non-dairy milks (and higher than dairy milk, too), it delivers the creamiest taste.
I don’t add the gelatin to the recipe, but into the hot coffee before I add my creamer. I add 1 scoop of collagen powder (I like this brand) and mix it really well so that it dissolves. Then I add my coconut creamer.
Coconut Creamer Recipe
8-10 Servings (depends on how much you add to your coffee…. no judging here! I add a LOT to mine)
- 1 14 oz can full-fat canned coconut milk (this one is my favorite – no additives – you can also make your own coconut milk)
- 4-6 tbs pure maple syrup, raw honey, or your favorite sweetener
- 1 tbs pure vanilla extract (other natural extracts work well too! I’ve tried hazelnut extract.)
- Option: Top each cup of coffee with a dash of cinnamon, cardamon powder, or cocoa powder
- Blend the the organic coconut milk, sweetener of choice, and vanilla extract together until the creamer is mixed well.
- Pour a teaspoon or two of the mixture into your coffee or tea. Store the remaining creamer in a glass jar in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to shake the creamer well before using it.
If you have “chunks” of coconut cream in your creamer, you can warm your creamer up in a small saucepan and use an immersions blender to dissolve them.
Coconut creamer recipe update
Last year I changed up my coffee regiment and added a milk frother to the mix. This little machine has been a game-changer! I now pour coconut milk into my frother, add a few drops of my sweetener and vanilla and turn it on. It froths my coconut milk and heats it. It pours perfectly over my coffee and tastes delicious! Plus, you can get a great one for cheap. The Secura frother (pictured below) is inexpensive and delivers awesome results. Check it out.
- 3 Reasons to Add Coconut Oil To Your Coffee
- Keto Whipped Coffee Recipe
- Coconut Milk vs Coconut Cream: What’s The Difference?
PRINT FRIENDLY RECIPE CARDPrint
Coconut Creamer Recipe (Paleo + Keto)
My coconut creamer recipe is crazy easy to make. All you need is quality coconut milk, a healthy sweetener like honey, and natural extract.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 14 ounces 1x
- Category: Beverage
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Natural sweetener (I used 4 tablespoons of maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Blend the coconut milk, sweetener of choice and vanilla extract together until the creamer is mixed well.
- Pour desired amount into your coffee or tea and store the remaining creamer in the refrigerator.
- Make sure to shake the creamer well before using. Enjoy! This creamer will be good for up to two weeks.
Nutrition info is based on using maple syrup in the recipe. There will be fewer grams of carbs if you use a sugar-free sweetener.
- Serving Size: 2 tbs
- Calories: 72
- Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 5.8g (if made with maple syrup)