Want to make whipped coconut oil moisturizer that’s not only gentle on your skin but that is easy to make too? All you need is coconut oil and an electric mixer! Add essential oils if you like, but coconut oil alone leaves a sweet aroma on your skin.
I haven’t purchased lotion or body butter in over five years. Instead, I use coconut oil as a moisturizer. Coconut oil is fantastic for the skin! It helps to reduce skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis. It also softens the skin and relieves dryness and flaking. Applied topically, it helps to prevent wrinkles, saggy skin, and age spots!
Whipped coconut oil works wonderfully as a moisturizer. It is easy to apply and doesn’t harden when it’s cold. You can add essential oils for a lovely fragrance if you like. I prefer the scent of virgin coconut oil, so I don’t add anything to it.
DIY Whipped Coconut Oil Moisturizer
To get started you’ll need at least 16 ounces of virgin coconut oil. You can double or even triple the amount if you’re making a large batch!
Next, you’re going to scoop the coconut oil into your mixing bowl.
Then use an electric mixer to whip the oil until it’s light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
Whipped Coconut Oil Moisturizer
- Electric Mixer
- Storage Jars
- 16 ounces coconut oil
- 10-30 drops essential oils (optional)
- Scoop coconut oil into a mixing bowl.
- Break the coconut oil up into chunks.
- Turn the mixer on high and whip the coconut oil.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to whip until all the coconut oil is soft and fluffy.
- If you’re going to add essential oils, do so at this time.
- Scoop coconut oil moisturizer into storage container.
- Use in place of lotion and body butter.
This whipped coconut oil moisturizer is a great body butter to gift to friends and family! Once you’ve mastered making this, you may want to try my body butter recipe, that uses coconut oil along with other skin-loving oils like shea butter and cocoa butter.
This article was originally posted on November 27, 2012, and was updated on February 5, 2020.