This DIY body butter recipe is soft and white, almost like a cloud! It’s nourishing and will leave your skin feeling super soft and smooth.
If you’ve followed me for any length of time you know I’m a DIYer and particularly love to make my own beauty products.
Homemade body butter is an easy DIY project for anyone. It’s so simple; all you have to do is melt and whip lovely oils together in a KitchenAid, and voila! Beautiful body butter!
While I love my basic whipped coconut oil moisturizer, it can be a little greasy, and it also melts at room temperature. I needed a good moisturizer that wasn’t too oily, so I decided to play around with some of my favorite plant-based butters and came up with this lovely body butter recipe.
I seriously love the way this homemade body butter feels and smells. It’s also very nourishing and will leave your skin feeling super soft.
I use this body butter on my sensitive skin and on my children. You can leave it as it is or add essential oils to create a great smelling body butter for yourself or as a gift.
This whipped homemade body butter is versatile! Add different essential oils to each batch.
Below are some of my favorite essential oils to use in this homemade body butter recipe:
- Peppermint (15-20 drops). You’ll smell like a candy cane! Great for the holidays
- Frankincense & Lavender (15 drops each), this mix promotes beautiful skin!
- Vanilla & Lavender (15 drops of Vanilla and 10 drops of Lavender), this mix is very relaxing!
- Grapefruit & Lime (20 drops each). This smells AMAZING!! Just be careful not to wear this outside since citrus oils are photosensitive.
I stock up on glass jars (like these) and make this homemade body butter for presents almost every holiday season. My coffee body scrub and simple sugar scrub are other great items to make for gifting too!
Love this body butter? Then I know you’ll enjoy my other body butter recipes, like this coffee-infused body butter and magnesium body butter. You may also like my Lotion Bar Recipe made with coconut oil!
Shop Body Butter Recipe Ingredients:
My favorite butters and carrier oils can be found here:
- coconut oil
- shea butter
- cocoa butter
- jojoba oil
- arrowroot powder
- essential oils – Use your favorite essential oils! This is the brand that I use and love!
Update: Several people have noted that when they used this body butter recipe there was a strong cocoa butter smell. Raw cocoa butter does have a strong smell and can be off-putting to some. You are welcome to use refined cocoa butter instead of raw cocoa butter. The same goes for coconut oil. Unrefined oils and butters are high in antioxidants and are great for your skin. However, they can often have a strong scent so if you prefer, use the refined options.
DIY Body Butter Recipe
- 2.5 ounces coconut oil (approximately 1⁄3 cup)
- 2.5 ounces shea butter (approximately 1⁄3 cup)
- 2.5 ounces cocoa butter (approximately 1⁄3 cup) raw cocoa butter has a strong smell. Use refined cocoa butter instead if this is an issue for you.
- 2.5 ounces jojoba oil or sweet almond oil (approximately 1⁄3 cup)
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot powder (optional – makes it not feel greasy on the skin
- 15-30 drops essential oils (add more if you like)
- In a double boiler or glass bowl, combine all ingredients except essential oils.
- Bring to medium heat and stir constantly until all ingredients are melted. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Move to the fridge and let cool another 1 hour or until starting to harden but still somewhat soft.
- Use a hand mixer to whip for 10 minutes until fluffy. Add essential oils and whip for another minute.
- Store in a glass jar with a lid.