Sugar scrubs are fantastic for exfoliating and moisturizing the skin. This simple sugar scrub recipe uses only three ingredients, sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils.
I make many homemade skin care products in my home, and sugar scrubs were one of the first DIY’s I got started with.
I was gifted a lovely vanilla brown sugar scrub for Christmas when I was younger, and when I ran out, I wanted to make more, which was the beginning of my DIY skincare journey. Since then, I’ve made salt scrubs, pink salt scrubs, and coffee scrubs.
For this sugar scrub recipe, you’ll need organic white or brown sugar, coconut oil, and essential oils. Of course, you can use a variety of different oils, extracts, and herbs to scent this sugar scrub. It’s so versatile! Add other essential oils to each batch to create different sugar scrubs.
Below are some of my favorite essential oils to use in this homemade sugar scrub recipe:
- Peppermint (15-20 drops). You’ll smell like a candy cane! Great for the holidays
- Frankincense & Lavender (10 drops each), this mix promotes beautiful skin!
- Stress Away & Lavender (15 drops of Stress Away and 10 drops of Lavender), this mix is very relaxing!
- Grapefruit & Lime (20 drops each). This smells AMAZING!! Just be careful not to wear this outside since citrus oils are photosensitive.
I stock up on glass jars (like these) and make this homemade body butter for presents almost every holiday season. My homemade body butter is another fantastic item to make for gifting too!
Shop Ingredients for this Sugar Scrub Recipe:
Links in the post are Amazon affiliate links to products I use and love.
Sugar Scrub Recipe
- mixing bowl
- food processor (optional)
- 1 cup organic white or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 10-20 drops essential oils (optional)
- 1 tsp vitamin e oil (optional)
- Mix the sugar, coconut oil, essential oils, and vitamin e oil (if using) together in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix well and pour into a storage jar.
- For a creamier sugar scrub, run the mixture through a food processor until it's whipped and creamy.