This coconut cream frosting is a homemade frosting made with coconut cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. A creamy and delicious coconut frosting that is perfect for decorating cakes, cookies, and other baked goods.
Now you can take it to another level and add in cocoa powder and arrowroot powder to create a richer coconut flavor with a twist chocolate flavor. The whole family will love this easy frosting recipe spread on top of a coconut cream cake, sugar cookies, etc.
This Coconut Cream Frosting Recipe Is…
- Made from scratch
- Perfectly Sweet
- Easy to Make
- Great for layered cakes, cookies, tarts, etc.
Coconut Cream Frosting Ingredients
Coconut Cream – You need to make sure they are full-fat coconut milk as that is what is needed for this frosting. Find my favorite brands of coconut cream here!
Powdered Sugar – If you find your powdered sugar has too many clumps simply run through a sifter to remove the lumps.
Vanilla Extract – A little vanilla goes a long way in terms of flavoring t he coconut flavored frosting. You can make your vanilla extract at home or buy good-quality stuff.
Optional – Now you can add arrowroot or cornstarch to help thicken. Or if you want a chocolate frosting add unsweetened cocoa powder. The measurements for both are in the recipe card below.
How to Make Coconut Cream Frosting
Step One: Remove the coconut cream off the top of the cans of coconut cream. Then measure out 2 cups of the coconut cream.
Step Two: Add cream to a bowl with powdered sugar and vanilla. Mix well with a hand or stand mixer. If you are making chocolate frosting add cocoa powder and the cornstarch or arrow root.
Step Three: Once it is nice and creamy refrigerate the coconut cream frosting for an hours before you go to frost your desserts.
Variations and Tips for Success
- If you add in cocoa powder start on a low speed with electric mixer to prevent the powder from flying everywhere. Once mixed move up to a high speed.
- Put the frosting in a piping bag or spread it on with a spatula. Either method works.
- Add in 1/4 cup cream cheese to make this a coconut cream cheese frosting.
- Add in coconut flakes to make this an even richer coconut flavor to the frosting.
- Add in a bit of coconut extract instead of vanilla to offer a little bit more flavor of coconut for the coconut lovers.
- The cornstarch is going to create a thick frosting, where if you don’t use it, the frosting can be a bit thinner.
Types of Desserts To Use Frosting With
- Pineapple coconut cake
- Carrot Cake
- Birthday Smash Cake
- Chocolate Coconut Cake
- Favorite Cupcakes any Flavor
- Frosted Sugar Cookies
- Sheet cakes of choice
Storing Coconut Cream Frosting
Store your frosting in an airtight container in the fridge. The frosting will store for 2-4 days. I find it is best when served fresh from being made. Then when you are ready just frost as you would like.
You are welcome to freeze the frosting as well for 1-2 months. When you are ready to use the coconut cream frosting place it in the fridge overnight. Then I recommend adding the frosting into a bowl and whip up with an electric hand mixer. This will help create a fluffy texture again. If you need to thicken the frosting a bit add more confectioners’ sugar to reach desired fluffy consistency.
Coconut Cream Frosting FAQ
Why do you need to refrigerate the frosting before using?
This is a softer texture frosting, so refrigerating allows the frosting to set up a bit. That way wen you go to spread on homemade cakes or even your favorite cupcake recipe it spreads nice and smoothly on the desserts.
Can I double this frosting?
This is a simple recipe that you can double if you are wanting to make extra frosting. Just follow the same directions and double the ingredients.
Will maple syrup work in place of powdered sugar?
You can use maple syrup or honey to make this recipe paleo, but you will need to add arrowroot starch to thicken the coconut cream frosting.
What are the best coconut milk brands to use for this recipe?
I like to use Thai Kitchen and Natural Value coconut milks. They both have simple ingredients and don’t have thickeners like guar gum in them.
- Whipped Coconut Cream
- Coconut Water Kefir
- How To Make Cream of Coconut
- Coconut Ice Cream
- How To Make Toasted Coconut
Coconut Cream Frosting Recipe (Vegan)
Make coconut cream frosting at home with simple ingredients. This frosting is a coconut lover’s dream and is perfect on white or chocolate cake.
- Prep Time: 2 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 7 minutes + refrigeration time
- Yield: 2 1/2 cups 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Mixer
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups coconut cream* (you will need two cans of full-fat coconut milk)
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar (use powdered erythritol to make a keto frosting)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- (Optional) 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder or cornstarch
- (Optional) 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- (Optional) Shredded coconut
Note: Coconut cream is the thick layer of cream on top of the can of coconut milk.
- Open the can of coconut cream or coconut milk and remove the coconut cream from the top.
- Measure out two cups of coconut cream and pour it into a mixing bowl.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract and use a hand mixer to whip the coconut cream. If you’re making chocolate frosting, add the cocoa powder and mix well. To make coconut frosting, add in 1/2 cup of shredded coconut and mix well.
- If you’d like a stiff frosting, I suggest adding the corn starch or arrowroot powder to this frosting.
- Refrigerate the coconut cream frosting for an hour before using to ice your baked goods. The frosting needs to thicken for best results when you go to spread the frosting onto the desserts.
This recipe makes approximately 2 1/2 cups of icing.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 155
- Sugar: 9.8g
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 10g