Frankincense oil has a long and rich history, dating back thousands of years in official records. In fact, in ancient times it was often used as a currency in conjunction with other highly valued oils and materials such as myrrh or gold.
Unlike other typical essential oils, frankincense is not distilled from hundreds of pounds of plant material. It is actually created from the resin of the Boswellia sacra tree which gives it a distinctive healing properties and an intoxicating aroma. Here are just a few of the amazing benefits of this precious oil and how to use it today.
6 Frankincense Essential Oil Health Benefits
1. May Help Fight Cancer
Boswellic acid in frankincense oil has been shown to halt the growth of a number of cancer cells including breast cancer, prostate, and pancreatic cancer. So far, all of the studies have been performed in the lab in test tubes, but the research is promising enough that scientists could go to human trials in a few years.
2. Improves Asthma
Before the days of life-saving inhalers, people turned to frankincense to find relief from asthma symptoms. Studies show that frankincense can prevent the production of leukotrienes, which cause your bronchial muscles to constrict in asthma, thereby reducing the severity and frequency of asthma attacks.
3. Boosts Immune System
Infections, viruses, and bacteria have no defense against the powerful immunostimulant ability of frankincense oil. It is a natural antiseptic and disinfectant and can help improve your capability to withstand disease.
4. Aids Digestion
Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis are two, often debilitating digestive issues brought on by chronic bowel inflammation. Studies have shown that frankincense oil may actually be as effective as certain prescription medications in patients with chron’s disease. Plus, even people with more mundane digestive issues such as diarrhea noticed relief after using frankincense.
5. May Reduce Arthritis
Since it has potent anti-inflammatory capabilities, researchers have studied frankincense in conjunction with arthritis. In one report, patients with rheumatoid arthritis were given Boswellia (the active component in frankincense oil) and noticed increased joint mobility and a reduction in morning swelling.
6. Relieves Stress and Anxiety
Scent has a powerful effect on your emotions so it makes sense that the unique combination of pine, lemon and woody scents leaves behind a distinct impression. Frankincense is known to have anxiolytic properties and anti-depressive capabilities without the harmful side effects of prescription medication.
How To Use Frankincense Oil
Purchase high-quality oil (like this brand) and use it in a diffuser for aromatherapy or place a few drops on your hands, cup them around your nose and inhale. You can also receive the benefits by combining it with a carrier oil such as coconut, jojoba, or sweet almond oil and applying to your skin. As always, be sure you are buying your essential oils from a reputable source. The label should say “100% essential oil” not “fragrance oil” or “perfume oil.”
- Natural Air Purifier – Ditch chemical-laden air fresheners and enjoy basking in the natural refreshing scent of this aromatic oil. Stick a few drops in your diffuser and your home will smell better than ever.
- Helps Prevent Scars – Combine frankincense essential oil with an unscented carrier oil or lotion and apply to stretch marks or healing wounds. It has been shown to help reduce the appearance of scars and speed skin regeneration.
- Relaxing Bath – Add three drops of frankincense oil to your warm bath to refocus and recenter your mind and reap all of the astonishing benefits. Feel your stress slip away as you soak with a cup of tea and soothing candles.
- Cold and Flu Relief – Next time you have a stuffy nose and an irritating cough, put a few drops of frankincense oil on a cloth. Bring it close to your face and take a couple of deep breaths to help clear your sinuses and reduce inflammation, thereby allowing you to breath easier.
- Anti-Aging Serum – Fine lines and wrinkles are signs of a life well-lived, however, you may not be quite ready to embrace the glow of your age and settle into those worn lines. Frankincense, when combined with a carrier oil, can be rubbed into your face, or any other sagging or aging area of skin to restore elasticity and decrease the appearance of wrinkles. You can make your own serum and face cream using frankincense and coconut oil. Try my Anti-Aging Beauty Face Cream recipe here!
- Help Fight Insomnia – Insomnia and nighttime restlessness are often caused by an overactive mind or anxiety and chronic stress. This oil helps expand breathing passages, calm your racing thoughts, and can even regulate your body temperature. Keep a jar of frankincense-infused lotion on your nightstand and incorporate it into your bedtime ritual.
Note: Though frankincense is considered a safe oil and doesn’t have any known side effects, it is always a good idea to talk to your doctor before starting any alternative treatment especially if you are pregnant, breastfeeding, have any known medical conditions, or are on any prescription medications.
Blend frankincense oil with any other essential oils to create a personalized blend. It goes particularly well with lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit, bergamot, lavender, myrrh, pine, and sandalwood oil.
MY FAVORITE ESSENTIAL OIL KIT
When I started using essential oils I ordered a starter kit that included Frankincense, Peppermint and Lavender (three oils I was interested in) along with a 7 other oils I was eager to learn about. This kit was called the premium starter kit and it was and still is the best value for getting started with essential oils. The kit includes 12 essential oils including: Frankincense, Lavender, PanAway, Raven, Stress Away, Peppermint, DiGize, Lemon, Thieves, Citrus Fresh, Valor & Peace & Calming. Included in the kit is a beautiful Desert Mist Diffuser valued at $63.75.
FREE SHIPPING – During the month of October you will receive free shipping on premium starter kit orders for new members! If you’ve been waiting to order your kit, now is the best time to get started. To provide even more perks with this offer, I’m going to send a special gift to those who order this week an essential oil diffuser bracelet and a 400 page reference book. The bracelet and book value at $25 and is the perfect gift to help you get started using your essential oils.*
*In order to qualify for this promotion you must order a premium starter kit through this link, join with a member account (this is the best value), and have a U.S. shipping address.