This homemade eye liner is as natural as you can get – just three ingredients, all non-toxic.
As an “all natural” mama I don’t tend to wear makeup on a daily basis. More like, weekly or even monthly. I have sensitive eyes that tend to get irritated easily by mascara and eye liner. I’ve tried a few natural brands of makeup that I liked a lot, but still found that my eyes were too sensitive for them.
Then I found this amazing tutorial on how to make homemade mascara from Robin at Thank Your Body! She is a genius I tell ya! Her mascara is made with coconut oil, aloe vera gel, bees-wax, and charcoal. All natural ingredients that, so far, have not irritated my eyes! Yay!
Robin has a cool e-book she wrote called, “Toxic Free: 70 Recipes for a Toxic Free Home.” This e-book was filled with cool recipes for making your own laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaner and even homemade cosmetics!
Robin was kind enough to let me share her recipe for homemade eye liner from her e-book. This eye liner is easy to make, just make sure to gently melt the coconut oil before mixing it with the other ingredients. You can order the activated charcoal online if you can’t find it at your local health food store.
Homemade non-toxic eye liner ingredients
Alright, let’s talk ingredients:
- Coconut oil (that’s a link to my explainer on finding the best storebought coconut oil; you can also make your own coconut oil at home with this easy recipe)
- Aloe vera
- Activated charcoal (try these if you don’t have a favorite brand)
Additionally, you’ll need a mixing bowl, a spoon, and an airtight container for storage. Simple and straightforward.
Homemade eyeliner FAQ
Yes, use cocoa powder to make brown eye liner, or other natural colored powders to make a variety of different colors of eye liner.
No, unfortunately this eye liner is not water proof.
Follow the instructions in the recipe card below to make this homemade eyeliner.
Homemade Non-Toxic Eye Liner
This homemade eye liner is as natural as you can get using only 3, non-toxic ingredients; coconut oil, aloe vera and activated charcoal.
- Category: Beauty
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons aloe vera gel
- 1 – 2 capsules of activated charcoal (for black) OR 1/2 tsp cocoa powder (for Brown)
- Thoroughly mix all ingredients.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Be sure to store this in a dark and cool place. Use a clean brush to ensure you don’t introduce any bacteria to the mixture.