Coconut Oil Toothpaste

Coconut Oil Toothpaste
I’ve been using bentonite clay and baking soda to brush my teeth with for years! I love the way my teeth feel after scrubbing them with my tooth powder. The thing is, my kids don’t really like to brush with my tooth powder. I’ve been working on making a coconut oil toothpaste that they would like. The winning recipe was a paste made with baking soda, bentonite clay, essential oils, green stevia and coconut oil!

Why Make Your Own Tooth Paste?

Most commercial tooth pastes are contaminated with fluoride, sulfates and chemicals that are harmful to the body. Not something I want to put in my mouth — or my kids mouths for that matter!

Bentonite clay is naturally cleansing and will bind to toxins and acidic materials in the mouth. It is often used in tooth powder recipes and is known to help remineralized teeth. Baking soda aids in cleaning and coconut oil adds antibacterial and anti-fungal properties to this tooth scrub. Add a few drops of naturally microbial peppermint essential oil and you have a super germ fighting tooth scrub that doesn’t taste so bad…. once you get used to it!

Homemade Coconut Oil Tooth Scrub

Coconut Oil Tooth Scrub

Combine all ingredients until smooth and blended (I used my food processor to mix them up). You may add more coconut oil or dry ingredients to create a paste with a texture you prefer. To use, just spread a small amount of tooth scrub on your tooth-brush and brush your teeth like you would with tooth paste. Store in an airtight container.

• Sharon Williams Cathey March 30, 2013, 5:56 pm

Have you tried using glycerin in your toothpaste? I used it the last batch I made. It worked great, and since glycerin has a kind of sweet taste, I didn’t need any sweetener, just the essential oil. I thought it made the powder much easier to use. I just put about a pea-sized amount on the toothbrush and it was plenty. Has lasted well, too.

• Gay Hullar March 30, 2013, 7:51 pm

Glycerin coats the teeth preventing remineralization to occur.

• Candace Holmes April 2, 2013, 6:09 am

What specific brand of Bentonite Clay and Natural Green Stevia do you use? I am new to real food ingredients and there are so many to choose from!

• Leslie June 3, 2013, 1:03 pm

I read up on this and some places that sell Bentonite Clay also tell you not to ingest it. I purchased Redmond Clay, which can be found at most natural health food stores, and the label does say it CAN be ingested..so you can definitely use it as toothpaste.

• Trina April 2, 2013, 9:11 am

Any concern about using this with a 2 year-old? I’d love to give it a try but want to make sure it’s not an issue if some gets swallowed…

• jessie April 2, 2013, 12:42 pm

how do you get it from the container to the toothbrush? don’t like the idea of dipping in as it seems unsanitary. it seems to me you’d need to transfer it w/something you don’t use again or at least don’t use w/o washing it again. I have not yet made my own toothpaste, but am considering it & was thinking of using a little demitasse spoon to transfer.

• Branden Byers April 2, 2013, 1:15 pm

I just dip into the toothpaste with a clean finger and then apply the paste on my toothbrush.

• Kjprue April 4, 2013, 12:22 am

Take a look at Humangear Go Toob , refillable silicone tubes. They are a little pricey but reusable for many years.

• Beverly May 22, 2014, 4:23 pm

I cut up a plastic straw and then push the pieces into the toothpaste. Then all I have to do is push it out of the straw onto my toothbrush. This was the most sanitary way I could think of. :)

• Audry Strain Pettit April 3, 2013, 10:41 am

Looks like a good recipe. I love my Toothsoap Whip for now though, maybe when I run out.

• Kristine Newman-Emerson April 10, 2013, 3:25 pm

When I started this journey to change our lives and habits, this was one of the first sites I came across. I started oil pulling first off. I have one wisdom tooth left in my upper left jaw, and it is a hot mess of crooked. It was pretty painful at that time as well, but when I started the oil pulling daily, the pain went away. Then I got a lump on the gum-line. A hard, uncomfortable lump.

I made this toothpaste eight days ago. The lump was gone in three of those days. I like it, not only for the lump going away so quickly, but also because I’m not using things I can’t pronounce that aren’t good for me in my body. I’m the only one in the house that will use it so far, but I am delighted with it.

I’m all kinds of excited about the changes we’ve made so far. We have a long way to go – converting a strong willed 15 year old (she’s like her mama) and a stubborn, bad eating, soda drinking 62 year old man from the bad stuff to the good hasn’t been easy, but even with the slow progress, we are all feeling healthier and getting into the groove.

• Hilary April 11, 2013, 3:25 pm

I love this idea! Thinking about adding xylitol to the mix.

• Trina April 15, 2013, 9:59 am

Accidentally bought bentonite detox instead of clay. Can I still use it?

• Quinn April 29, 2013, 3:50 am

Even though I had settled upon a natural toothpaste my family and I were reasonably happy with, I decided to try “just one more” and I’m so glad I did! By far and away this is my favorite in terms of flavor, texture, and efficacy. My teeth feel incredibly clean after brushing and perhaps even whiter :) Thanks!

• CNM April 29, 2013, 7:18 pm

Have you thought of switching out the Stevia for Xylitol which is a known fighter of tooth decay?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama April 29, 2013, 8:11 pm

Yes, but I don’t really feel comfortable using xylitol. I don’t really tnink it is a safe sweetener… I get stomach pains when i use it too!

• Julia Kiewit April 30, 2013, 7:35 am

Where do you buy this natural, unrefined stevia? I can’t find green anywhere…all I ever run across is white. I still use it, but I’d love to go for as natural as possible and use the green.

• Motherbarbarian May 1, 2013, 8:09 pm

Awesome! I have been wanting to find an easy yet better than commercially prepared toothpaste recipe for quite a while now. I am whipping this up tomorrow and looking forward to improving my dental health. Thanks so much for posting.

• gina May 9, 2013, 9:02 am

Can you leave out the baking soda and it still be useful? I have made toothpaste before but found bs to harsh..

• Karli Kynock via Facebook May 11, 2013, 4:12 am

My dentist is always telling me that abrasives such as baking soda and this clay take enamel off my teeth, but I would like to try this. I stopped using regular toothpaste two years ago, have been using Tooth Soap

• Allyson Wyman via Facebook May 11, 2013, 5:46 am

Can you use veg. glycerin instead of stevia?

• FreeRad ⓥ Mindmesh May 11, 2013, 6:23 am

i add calcium and xylitol. xylitol isnt particularly natural but its anticavity. also i’ll add some liquid magnesium. remineralizes the teeth.

• K Sage Buffington via Facebook May 11, 2013, 9:31 am

Spit in the trashcan? Does it clog the plumbing to spit coco oil in the sink? When I do oil-pulling, I discard the oil in the trash….

• Randye May 25, 2013, 4:11 pm

I put xylatol in mine instead of stevia. I love this stuff! after using for a bit, realized that my teeth are whiter than using reg. toothpaste.

• Leslie June 3, 2013, 1:10 pm

I know people are unsure about the sweetener..but I skipped it and added fine celtic sea salt instead. I would have rather used Himalayan salt but couldn’t find it. My mixture came out a bit more wet than your photo and felt like I was brushing my teeth with natural peanut butter lol..but my teeth felt clean afterwards. I just have to get used to the consistency. Thanks a bunch for the recipe!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama June 3, 2013, 8:24 pm

Good idea to use salt over stevia! I will have to try that next time. :)

• Sandy March 9, 2014, 3:07 pm

I just made mine and used salt instead of sweet, I used a Himalayan pink ground very fine. I noticed that my peppermint says “not for internal use”, but I don’t swallow it anyway so I’m good.

• Christine May 28, 2014, 5:11 pm

• Julie June 24, 2013, 8:25 pm

Hi, this may sound like a silly question but what is the stevia for? can this recipe be made without the stevia?

• Paulina C July 9, 2013, 7:33 am

Love it! Could you add activated charcoal to this?

• vicentewakk July 17, 2013, 9:24 pm

white teeth all about/

puredentalwhite.com

• stephanie July 21, 2013, 7:47 am

I’ve been doing it for months without the stevia and love it!!!! I even have my 13yr old doing it. Thanks. .. love ya

• Jessica David, CHC July 23, 2013, 5:27 pm

This is by far the BEST DIY tooth powder I’ve seen thus far! My son (he’s almost 5) and I are BIG fans! Thank you!! =) (BTW, we used non-GMO xylitol in place of stevia.) One last thing, I’ll be sharing this link on my own blog as I write a post about my body care uses of coconut oil. In other words, credit for the recipe will be given to you.

• Jessica August 14, 2013, 10:34 pm

I love the way it makes my teeth feel, but I think it is aggravating my lips a bit. I’ve notice the inner side of my lips feel slightly raw. Has anyone else had this? Should I decrease the baking soda?

• Niki J October 12, 2013, 2:50 pm

Could I use Montmorillonite clay instead? It’s also known as Red Desert Clay, edible clay.

• Kimberly King November 7, 2013, 1:42 pm

Bentonite clay is Montmorillonite. It is a member of the Montmorillonite family.

• Diane Young November 10, 2013, 7:44 pm

Can I use regular stevia?

• Michelle C December 4, 2013, 7:40 am

how long will this tooth paste last before it goes bad?

• Diane Young December 4, 2013, 1:27 pm

I made this and it is hard as a rock. How do I make it soft enough to brush my teeth?

• AriesWarlock December 6, 2013, 10:08 am

Try first coconut oil with some baking soda only. That is enough.

• Paula Owens December 29, 2013, 12:36 pm

Did not see it mentioned that you should never use metal utensils to stir or store bentonite clay in metal containers.

• Linda April 21, 2014, 4:10 pm

Good point Paula. I use plastic caps on my mason jars. The smaller jars.

• Linda April 21, 2014, 4:08 pm

I love this recipe, but use cinnamon and clove in it instead of the sweeteners. My teeth feel smooth and silky after I brush them.

• Susan September 23, 2014, 7:00 am

I’ve been using coconut oil with some Thieves Essential Oil and it works great. I have a broken tooth that is actually improving since I started using this. No pain or inflammation from it any longer. Maybe I will switch off with the Peppermint EO once a day. Can’t “scrub” my teeth because of receding gums but they have improved also with using the coconut oil and Thieves.

• betty September 23, 2014, 9:51 am

wont the coconut oil get hard and clog your pipes? ive been thinking of making that body scrub with coconut oil but worried that it might clog my plumbing. would it happen or is it unheard of even with usage such as pulling?

• melody brown September 23, 2014, 2:01 pm

FYI….it is potentially hazardous to people with fillings. You don’t want to risk mercury leaching from the filling and then in contact with the skin/body. Really. That’s the only reason I haven’t doing oil pulling.

• Ann September 23, 2014, 3:11 pm

Will spitting this into the sink clog the drain?

• trina edwards September 23, 2014, 3:59 pm

hi thank you for this recipe. i use my own toothpaste as well. but never thouht of using the steavia powder. or the clay. i just use the salt and baking soda . peppermint oil as well. so thanks for this recipe. what dose the clay do? and can you use any clay like an australia one we have here.?

• Skye May 19, 2013, 11:21 am

Julie, I use doTerra essential oils. All of their oils are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade and safe to ingest. Check it out here (you can even sign up to get them at wholesale prices ;D) http://www.mydoterra.com/readyforwellness/

• Penny Brown July 15, 2013, 5:21 am