Sunday Special Coffee Cake (Grain Free + Dairy Free)

Coconut Flour Coffee Cake

Today I’m excited to share this delicious coffee cake recipe from the book, Indulge: 70 Grain Free Desserts by Carol Lovett of Ditch The Wheat!

I’ve tested several coffee cake recipes using coconut flour with no success. When I saw this recipe in Carols book I knew I had to try it. This recipe hit the spot! We particularly loved the coconut sugar topping (the kids ate that part first).

Indulge is filled with 70 delicious grain free deserts that will please the pickiest eaters! Carol was nice enough to offer my readers a 20% off her book. Use coupon code COCOMAMA20 to receive the discount! This coupon will expire on July 16th, 2013. Click here to order!

Coconut Flour Coffee CakeCoconut Flour Coffee Cake

Cake:

Topping:

Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Grease the bottom and sides of a 4×8 inch rectangular loaf pan with coconut oil.

In a large bowl combine the egg whites and cream of tartar. Whip until stiff peaks form. In a bowl, cream together honey and coconut oil. Mix in the egg yolks. Add to the mixture, coconut flour, vanilla, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined. Mix the batter into the egg whites starting with a little bit at a time. Combine until the batter is completely mixed. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan.

In a small bowl mix together all the ingredients for the topping. Spread the mixture over the batter. Swirl parts of the topping into the batter.

Bake for 30 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Let the cake cool before slicing and serving.

Makes 8 servings

Over 70 + recipes that include nut free & egg free recipes

• 162 pages of content
  • All recipes are dairy free and adhere to Paleo principles
  • Hyperlinked table of contents makes navigating easy
  • Beautiful photographs
  • Trouble shooting tips
  • Bonus! A printer friendly copy

Now through July 16th receive 20% off your purchase with coupon code COCONUTMAMA20!

Click here to order your copy!

Interested in learning more about essential oils? Check out my FREE 14 day e-course!

Free Essential Oils E-Course

• the 3volution of j3nn July 3, 2013, 3:22 pm

Looks perfectly scrumptious!

• Breezy Guerra July 3, 2013, 6:13 pm

Sounds so good!!!

• Martha July 4, 2013, 10:47 am

Oh, my goodness! I just made this to bring to a 4th of July party. Absolutely lovely! You would be hard-pressed to know that this cake is grain-free. I suspect that my plate will be empty in short order.

I thought I had ruined the recipe. The egg yolk mixture set up into a stiff paste while I was preparing the egg whites (I did the steps with the whites and the yolks out of order). However, it mixed in just fine – whew! I was unsure about whether to mix or fold in the yolks, as I didn’t want to stir the air back out of the whites. In the end, I mixed as gently as possible. The volume of the whites went down significantly, but I guess that is ok – coffee cakes tend to be on the denser side.

Because I had some on hand, I added blueberries to the batter.

• Michelle D... July 8, 2013, 9:44 am

I was curious about the folding verses mixing too. The volume of my whites went down a lot. Coffee cake is in the oven right now. The house smells divine!

• daynateachespiano July 4, 2013, 11:54 am

I made your recipe for this scrumptious looking cake this morning to take on our trip to Idaho! it turned out perfectly and looks great. I couldn’t resist a few bites before packing and I can’t wait for Britt to get to have such a yummy treat :) Thank You!

• leigh July 10, 2013, 4:22 pm

Can the coconut oil be substituted for something else? Maybe butter but would it still be 1/4 cup? I really need to buy some coconut oil but its so pricey. I also don’t eat sugar and I’m wondering if my sugar free honey would work or it the raw honey adds something to the texture. What’s your opinion?

• Cassie Gallucci July 11, 2013, 2:05 pm

There is no such thing as sugar free honey. It’s not honey then.

• Madi Mercer August 30, 2014, 4:03 pm

In the paleo diet, only natural sugars, like the sugars in most fruit, are allowed because they aren’t processed. To know if your honey has any added processed sugars, check how many grams of sugar it contains in the nutrition facts (usually below the carbs) and if it has any, which honey should, you would be able to go through all the ingredients without seeing the word sugar. If you do, it’s added in and not natural. If there isn’t sugar in the ingredients then all the sugars in the nutrition facts are natural. To keep this a paleo desert/breakfast, use an organic honey that doesn’t have any added sugar. As for the butter, you could probably use it, but, again to keep it paleo, use grass fed, organic butter. I recommend the brand Kerrygold. Hope I helped and didn’t seem to know-it-all haha(:

• Martha July 11, 2013, 2:30 pm

I often switch out fats when cooking and baking. I use a 1 for 1 substitution. Butter should work just fine. Lard is also nice for things like this. Replacing the honey gets a little trickier, since it adds a touch of liquid as well as sweetness.

• Penelope L. Penderhausen September 10, 2013, 4:16 pm

If you are eating “sugar free” honey…I would look for ingredients. If it doesn’t say HONEY and only honey…..well….it has to be some kind of processed fake food. Where do you get “sugar free” honey and why?

• Nancy July 13, 2013, 8:04 pm

Thank-you, so nice to see a recipe with normal ingredients that I can get from my pantry!!

• angie July 16, 2013, 3:16 pm

@leigh-i try not to eat sugar either but i will make an exception for coconut sugar. it has the loweset glycemic index of all natural sweeteners so when i do want an “occasional” treat i will make something from scratch. The recipe is a perfect example of something i will try! ALL sugar free sweeteners are bad for you and do far worse damage than sugar itself. I urge to to research it. The only other sweeteners i will allow is raw honey and maple syrup (organic only for all three), though i use them rarely.

• Miss BLS September 10, 2013, 7:26 pm

this looks so good! officially my favourite website! will make a batch over the next couple of days for our 6 hour road trip this weekend. thank you muchly for the recipe!

• Dana Wight Kayal September 10, 2013, 9:06 pm

I’m not sure what I did wrong. My coconut oil, honey, egg yolks, coconut flour mix was almost solid. It would sit in a block on my spatula. There was no traditional folding and definitely no pouring into the pan. Anyone else have this problem?

• April November 10, 2013, 7:48 pm

Try melting the coconut oil first. Coconut oil is solid at temperatures below 70. Coconut flour also has incredible absorbing powers so depending on where you bought it and where you live (humidity), you might have to add some water or your choice of milk to smooth it out. I haven’t made this particular recipe, but coconut flour goods tend to look very different from “normal” batters pre baking. Good luck!

• Aasusanne Meyer Borden September 11, 2013, 4:04 pm

ONLY 1/2 CUP OF FLOUR? ARE YOU SURE THIS IS CORRECT?

• angela October 1, 2013, 10:53 am

I’m not sure if I did something wrong but this just didn’t taste good at all. It had a sharp taste (not sure how else to describe this). Didn’t taste sweet enough (and I don’t eat a lot of sweet things) and I found the topping flavour was too intense. I hope others have a better experience.

• Carolyn March 26, 2014, 10:49 pm

My hubby is a coffee cake nut so I plan on making your coffee cake this wkend. I’ll bake it in mini loaf pans. Thanks for the recipe :-)

• Willow April 24, 2014, 5:49 am

I made this for dessert for Easter dinner and it was great! This recipe is definitely a keeper.

• Betsy @ BPhotoArt May 2, 2014, 12:10 pm

I made this today – without the streusel topping, just dumped all the batter in my pan. It was a HUGE hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe… can’t wait to try it in full later :)

• Geri June 27, 2014, 10:13 am

I just made the coffee cake this morning, the batter was very dense, it didn’t look like your typical batter! how much should this have risen while baking. It was very cocoanut taste. I could not taste the topping at all. Any suggestions???
    My husband did like the coffee cake!!!