One of Houston’s most recognizable Mexican restaurants now has a final date at its longtime Kirby Drive home.
Arnaldo Richards’ Picos, the Upper Kirby restaurant known for regional Mexican dishes, mole, shaker margaritas, brunches, and holiday tamales, is set to close its current location on August 30, 2026. The restaurant has operated in Houston for more than 40 years and has been at 3601 Kirby Drive since 2014.
The reason is not a lack of history. It is real estate.
Chef-owner Arnaldo Richards said the property has been sold to developers for a future high-rise project. Richards and his family are still looking for a new location, but they have not yet secured one that would allow the restaurant to keep operating without a gap.
That makes this less of a simple goodbye and more of an uncertain pause.

In a message to customers, Richards said the family does not see this as the end of Picos, but as a transition while they search for the right space for the restaurant’s next chapter. Still, unless a new location comes together quickly, August 30 will mark the end of service at one of Houston’s best-known Mexican dining rooms.
Picos first opened in 1984 in Southwest Houston and built a loyal following by serving food inspired by Mexico’s seven regions at a time when much of Houston’s Mexican restaurant scene was more focused on Tex-Mex. The menu became known for moles, enchiladas, seafood dishes, chiles rellenos, grilled octopus, and other regional specialties.
The restaurant also became famous for its margaritas. Picos helped popularize shaker margaritas made with fresh lime juice and quality tequila at a time when many restaurants still leaned on sweet-and-sour mix.
For many Houstonians, Picos was not just a dinner spot. It was where families went for birthdays, Cinco de Mayo celebrations, brunch, mole festivals, holiday tamales, and big group meals. The current Kirby location gave the restaurant more room, a dedicated bar, private dining space, and even spirit lockers for loyal customers.
The closing date follows months of uncertainty. Picos had previously announced plans to close, then extended its run after an emotional response from customers. Now, the redevelopment of the property has made the Kirby Drive exit unavoidable.
For Houston diners, the news lands at a time when several longtime restaurants are being squeezed by rising costs, changing neighborhoods, and development pressure.
The good news is that Picos may not be gone forever.
Richards has said the family is still searching for a smaller, workable location that can preserve the restaurant’s legacy. But for now, Houstonians who want one more meal at the Kirby Drive Picos have a deadline.
The final day is August 30, 2026.
Links on this page may be affiliate links, for which the site earns a small commission, but the price for you is the same


Leave a Comment