These crispy cauliflower tater tots are addicting and fun to eat as a snack or a dinner side dish. They’re gluten-free and keto-friendly!
I have a confession to make, I don’t like ketchup. As I created this recipe and photographed the tater tots I couldn’t let any of them go to waste. I was immediately addicted to these cheesy cauliflower tater tots! They’re so good I kept gobbling them up so fast every time I tested the recipe.
As someone who doesn’t like ketchup, I couldn’t throw out the ones I already dipped in ketchup. So I became brave and ate it. I know, I’m in my thirties and I just ate ketchup willingly for the first time in my life.
The first bite with ketchup all I could taste was the vinegar taste of ketchup that I don’t like. The second bite, I finally started to like the taste better. And then the third bite, I felt converted and no longer hated ketchup.
Cauliflower Tater Tots Tools
For this recipe you will need:
- 1 medium to a large mixing bowl
- 1 large knife
- Measuring spoons & cups
- Cheesecloth or towel
- Large non-stick frying pan or cast-iron skillet
Cauliflower Tater Tots
These crispy cauliflower tater tots are addicting and fun to eat as a snack or a dinner side dish.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Total Time: 26 minutes
- Yield: 20 tater tots 1x
- Category: Snack
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 2 cups riced cauliflower, (about two large florets)
- Dash of salt
- ¼ cup shredded cheese (mozzarella, shredded parmesan, I used Oaxaca cheese)
- ½ large egg stirred
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- 1–2 tablespoons coconut oil or frying oil
- In a large skillet heat up coconut oil or preferred fat over medium heat. Add the cauliflower rice and saute for 5 minutes, or until the texture is soft. While it is cooking, season with salt.
- Allow the cauliflower rice to cool a little bit. Place the cauliflower rice in a cheesecloth or towel and gently squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a bowl, mix together the cauliflower rice, egg, cheese and paprika.
- Try your best to form the shape of a tater tot; a small rectangle about 1-inch long and ½-inch wide. It’s ok if it doesn’t perfectly hold together. It will firm up once it is cooked.
- In a large skillet, heat up coconut oil or preferred fat over medium-low heat, place the tater tots evenly in the skillet. Brown on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Consume the tater tots immediately or store in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 5 tater tots
- Calories: 101 calories
- Fat: 8.8g
- Carbohydrates: 2.2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 2.2g
How can I make this recipe egg-free?
I didn’t test an egg-free version but I feel you could skip the egg and the cheese would hold the cauliflower together once it is heated in the frying pan.
How can I make these cauliflower tater tots dairy-free?
You cannot make this recipe dairy-free. The cheese holds the cauliflower together.
Can I bake these instead of pan-frying them?
I did not test baking them but you can probably bake them at 400 degrees F. on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a muffin tin that has been oiled. Bake for 8 minutes and then flip and bake for another 8 minutes or until golden brown.
How do I make cauliflower rice?
Use a cheese grater, knife or a food processor fitted with a grating attachment, grate or finely chop the cauliflower to resemble rice.