These fluffy Keto S’mores Bars have a coconut flour shortbread crust with a chocolate topping. This recipe is paleo and keto-friendly!
This summer, make some Keto S’mores Bars. It’s a healthy twist on campfire s’mores. The crust is a coconut flour shortbread crust that is easy to whip together. The marshmallows are keto and taste light and vanilly.
These keto s’mores bars are perfect for making for a weekend treat or a summer party. Kids and adults will love biting into the chocolate layer with the fluffy marshmallow and flaky shortbread crust.
Homemade marshmallows are surprisingly easy to make. First, you need to heat the ingredients and then beat them with a stand mixer until light and fluffy. The hard part is knowing when you have overbeaten them. I found just as soon as the marshmallow fluffy starts to have any pull, you need to stop and pour them over the crust as quickly as possible. If you go too far, you can reheat the mixture and beat them until fluffy again.
There is a bit of a mess when making these marshmallows. I did end up with marshmallow splatter in a few places. Take a washcloth or paper towel, wet it with warm water, and wipe down the area until the marshmallow splatter melts, and then wash the area with soap.
Keto S’mores Bars FAQ
Can I make marshmallows without gelatin?
No, you cannot make this recipe for keto marshmallows without gelatin. You need to use the gelatin that gels when it is wet.
Can I melt the keto s’mores bars?
Yes! These homemade keto marshmallows do melt. I have never tested them over a campfire, but I placed a few bars in the oven at 450 F and allowed them to melt a little and get gooey, and it worked fine, but the marshmallows didn’t brown or get puffy like regular marshmallows.
How can I make this Paleo-friendly?
You can easily make these s’mores bars Paleo-friendly by using organic powdered sugar or raw honey to make the marshmallow filling and using raw honey to make the shortbread crust.
How do I store these?
These keto s’mores bars will last about seven days if you store them in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You can also keep them stored in your freezer for up to 3 months. These bars unthaw beautifully at room temperature or in your refrigerator without any issues.
If you love these keto s’mores bars, then check out my other keto friendly recipes here!Print
Keto S’mores Bars
Fluffy Keto S’mores Bars on a coconut flour shortbread crust with a chocolate topping are the must-have dessert this summer!
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 3 minutes + cooling time
- Yield: 16 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
Coconut Flour Shortbread Crust
- 1 ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 6 tbsp erythritol (I used powdered Lakanto blend)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 cup water
- ½ cup gelatin
- ½ cup powdered erythritol (I used the lakanto blend)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8×8 inch baking pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, add all of the crust ingredients and whisk to combine. The crust will be slightly runny. Pour the crust into the baking pan.
- Bake the crust for 14 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the crust from the oven and place the baking pan on a cooling rack to fully cool.
- Once the crust is fully cooled then make the marshmallow filling. It is best to place the marshmallows on a fully cooled crust so it doesn’t melt and deflate the marshmallow filling. Take a medium-sized saucepan and add the water, gelatin, erythritol, and vanilla. Over low heat, heat until everything has dissolved and then remove from the heat.
- Place the marshmallow filling in a bowl and then using a stand mixer or hand mixer, beat the filling for about 8 to 15 minutes, starting on medium and then switching to high, until the marshmallow mixture looks like marshmallow fluff and is starting to hold its shape. Quickly pour the marshmallow filling over the crust and smooth it into place. If the marshmallow filling has become too stiff, simply remelt it and then beat it again.
- Place the crust and filling in the fridge to fully set. Mine set within 5 minutes but it could take up to an hour for yours to set depending on how much you beat it. If your marshmallow filling sets unevenly, like mine, simply take a knife and cut off any uneven parts.
- Next, make the chocolate topping once the marshmallow filling has set. Add all of the ingredients to a small saucepan or a microwaveable bowl. Either melt the chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly, or in your microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring in between.
- Slowly spread the filling over the marshmallow filling. I suggest doing a little at a time because the hot chocolate will melt the marshmallow. Take a spatula and spread the chocolate to make it smooth. Place the dessert in the refrigerator to fully set, about 20 minutes.
- Cut into 16 bars.
- Serving Size: 1 bar
- Calories: 314
- Fat: 23.3g
- Carbohydrates: 23g (4.6g net carbs)
- Protein: 10g