Coconut Oil Deodorant

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

Coconut Oil Deodorant

Deodorant. Most of us can’t live without it. Unfortunately, most deodorants on the market are made with toxin ingredients that are hazardous to our health. A common ingredient used in most antiperspirants is aluminum, which has been linked to breast cancer and has also been linked to an increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease.

Coconut oil is a wonderful product to use as a base for deodorant because it kills fungi, yeast and bacteria. Baking soda helps to neutralize odor, the arrowroot powder helps to absorb moisture and the added essential oils are also anti-bacterial.

Coconut Oil Deodorant

Coconut Oil Deodorant

Mix all ingredients together until combined. Store in an air tight container. You can melt and pour the deodorant into empty deodorant containers.

If you have sensitive skin you will want to cut the baking soda down to 2 tablespoons and add 2 tablespoons of arrowroot powder.

Current Price: $8.19
Buy Now
Price Disclaimer

• Rachael October 29, 2013, 8:25 am

Would adding a little wax to this to help it have a more solid state still be effective?

• Shae October 29, 2013, 10:54 am

I’ve made salves with beeswax and oil and it really helps. Your can gently melt it on a double boiler with the Coconut oil then add everything else and even pour it into an old deodorant tube that you’ve boiled clean. Just make sure it has a solid bottom or you’ll have a mess!

• Ejw November 8, 2013, 10:33 pm

I am wondering if anyone knows if aluminum in baking soda is the same aluminum in reg deo.?

• Abbe Kemack November 19, 2013, 1:21 pm

Aluminum is in baking powder, not baking soda. You can use baking soda and cream of tartar to make non-aluminum baking powder.

• melissa November 20, 2013, 9:25 am

what is measurement on that mix

• Vicki Agee January 2, 2014, 3:10 pm

I have a recipe to make baking powder that instructs to use 2 parts cream of tartar with one part baking soda.

• Suzi November 25, 2013, 8:07 pm

You can also purchase non-aluminum baking powder. It is clearly stated on the label.

• Becky June 2, 2014, 7:52 am

I added 1 more tablespoon on Beeswax and reduced the coconut oil by 1/8 cup and added 1/8 cup shea butter it keeps it nice and solid. I was having trouble with it melting to with the warm weather. Works great with this change.

• Naturalista October 29, 2013, 8:32 am

I have a similar recipe and it’s great, but I need to tweak it a bit more to keep the “odor” away. I’ll be adding beeswax to see it it also helps.

• Laura October 29, 2013, 8:54 am

Thanks, I wanted to make deodorant, but didn’t find those containers anywhere. Probably just didn’t use the word “container” when looked for it :D Thank you for the recipe:)

• BWB October 29, 2013, 10:19 am

Will this hold shape?

• hstorm799 October 29, 2013, 10:26 am

Totally making this! Thanks!

• Sharon Spikol Stoer November 4, 2013, 10:17 pm

i use cornstarch in it all the time. i’ve had no issues with it. just don’t use immediately after shaving

• hstorm799 November 5, 2013, 8:03 am

Thanks for the reply. Why not after shaving? Is the cornstarch irritating?

• Becky Lewis October 29, 2013, 10:55 am

I’m wondering about the cornstarch as well.?

• Shae October 29, 2013, 10:56 am

Love this idea! I have bentonite clay that I will substitute for some of the baking soda. Detox deo! I think I’ll have some fun with my eos too. Maybe make a manly one for my hunny with frankincense, clove, orange and cedar or eucalyptus. I think I’ll use geranium and lavender, maybe some ylang… Oh this is going to be fun!

• Mia Gordon October 29, 2013, 9:28 pm

Fabulous recipe, thanks can I suggest adding a little Grapefruit oil too as it “eats” odors and has other antioxidant and beneficial properties for skin.

• Marena October 31, 2013, 12:24 pm

Im really excited to try this! Thanks!

• tania November 6, 2013, 5:40 pm

My concern with the coconut oil is if it will leave an oil spot on clothing?

• TwistedBro November 18, 2013, 5:40 pm

Yes it will, but mostly on tighter shirts and t shirts. i use mild natural dish washing detergent before the wash on those stains. It is one step extra when doing laundry, but it pays off from the health point of view.

• Carla Stroh January 18, 2014, 10:18 pm

Would this work in the container that has the top with little holes in it?

• The Coconut Mama January 20, 2014, 9:33 am

Good question Carla! Yes it would work so long as it’s not too cold where you store it :)

• Dede February 6, 2014, 1:40 am

I’ve been using this and it’s great! but I started to notice my under arms became VERY DARK :( plus it became very itchy (especially on my left armpit but my right is just fine no darkness, no itchiness).
    I wonder if anyone else has experienced this??? And is there a solution I can do to get rid of the darkness that occurred???
    Suggestions, anyone please….

• Brooke February 10, 2014, 2:54 pm

Did you use cornstarch? This happened to me while I was pregnant, it turned out to be a yeast infection. Because I was using a natural deodorant, I was sweating more… more sweat = thriving conditions for yeast, and cornstarch = food for yeast. Not pleasant. I would recommend just using arrowroot, baking soda, coconut oil, and maybe tea tree and LOTS of sage essential oil, like 50 drops. The sage is an antiperspirant, if that was an issue you were having as well. You may need to get an OTC cream to apply under your arms to get rid of the infection. Of course I am not a doctor, so you may want to talk to yours before proceeding… I just had a similar experience and thought I may tell my tale. Good luck!

• Christine April 14, 2014, 3:48 am

I must have really sensitive skin I’m looking for a receipe without baking soda it burns my skin, any suggestions. Thx

• Beth T. May 29, 2014, 9:18 am

I purchased natural deodorant made with those ingredients and it seems I’m allergic to the arrowroot powder! I make most of my own hygiene/beauty products and use coconut oil, baking soda, and EO’s all the time with no issues whatsoever…but if I use the deodorant (which I LOVE – works and smells GREAT) I break out after a few days. It goes away if I stop using it and go back to my old Degree.
    What should/could be used to replace the arrowroot and has anyone else heard of/experienced this? I saw some people suggested cornstarch but are there other suggestion?
    Thanks!

• Jilli13 June 11, 2014, 12:45 am

I just put a few drops of Lavender oil on a cotton ball and wipe under my arms. Works great for me. It’s also easy to store a small bottle in the cabinet. I’ve never had a problem with the Lavender oil causing skin irritations. Your results may vary.

• Dharmagirl June 26, 2014, 9:22 am

OMG! This really works! I already had a big tub of organic extra virgin coconut oil, baking soda, cornstarch, and a wee bit of lavender oil. After years of using Secret Clinical strength, I decided to give this a try. I expected to stink and go back to the chemicals. I had previously tried a deodorant crystal with disappointing results. But it’s been almost two weeks, and no B.O.! When I shave my pits, I rub them with just plain coconut oil, and 12 hours later apply some of the mixture. (I apply twice daily.) And it’s so economical. This mixture will last a long time. I put it in a small wide-mouth mason jar, so that when I travel, and if/when it gets liquidy, it won’t leak everywhere. Same with plain coconut oil for moisturizing.

• Faye July 24, 2014, 7:34 pm

I made a mix and put it into a jar, it hardened and then I decided it would be hard enough to go into an old deodorant container, so I melted it the microwave… probably too long. When I took it out it was foaming. So, I’m wondering if I’ve deactivated the baking soda and if it’s a waste of time to use this mixture as deodorant and I should chuck it out and start again.
    What do you think?