Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil & Thieves Essential Oil

Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil & Thieves Essential Oil

If you follow me on facebook you’ll know that I’m a big fan of oil pulling. I usually use coconut oil when I oil pull but lately I’ve been adding thieves essential oil to my coconut oil. The mix of these two oils is amazing and I know they’re both so beneficial too!

Oil pulling is known to help strengthen your teeth, reduce plaque and eliminate bad breath. According to Dr. Bruce Fife, “Your mouth is a window to your body”. If your mouth is filled with cavities, swollen and inflamed gums, bad breath, plaque or tarter buildup then thats a sign that things aren’t working properly in your body. In the book, Oil Pulling Therapy, Dr. Fife makes a great case on how important it is to keep your mouth clean. Apparently bacteria in the mouth is known to trigger health conditions like arthritis, chronic fatigue and even diabetes.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Oil pulling can be an amazing method to improve oral health which helps keep the whole body healthy!

How It Works

The oil helps to soak up bacteria and other toxins out of your teeth and gums.

Coconut oil is rich in Lauric Acid and has been proven to be antimicrobial (kill bacteria, viruses and fungi).

Thieves Essential Oil is highly antiviral, antibacterial and anti-infectious. For this reason thieves is also beneficial for eliminating harmful bacteria.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

How To Oil Pull

1. Put about a tablespoon of coconut oil mixed with a drop of thieves essential oil in your mouth.
  2. Swish the oils around your mouth for about 10-20 minutes.
  3. Spit out the oil, then brush your teeth.

It is best to do this on an empty stomach, before you brush your teeth. I usually do this when I’m making breakfast for my family. I always forget to tell them what I’m doing and we end up playing charades until they figure it out. :)

It’s important to spit out the oil. You don’t want to swallow it because it is full of bacteria. I do my best to remember to spit my oil out int he trash so I don’t clog up my sink.

Have you tried oiling pulling? Have you seen an improvement in your health since you started? Please share you thoughts in the comments below!

Oil Pulling with Coconut Oil & Thieves Essential Oil

ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Lindsey June 27, 2014, 10:34 am

I’ve been doing oil pulling with coconut oil now for maybe a couple months. I’m going to start adding the Thieve’s! Great idea!

• Rosario July 1, 2014, 4:20 pm

Hi Tiffany
    I have been coconut oil pulling for about three months, and I like it! I don’t have Thieves. ..can I use Peppermint oil?

• Maggie July 10, 2014, 6:08 am

hi Tiffany,
    I have seen similar advice before on different blog, I was wondering, do you keep your mouth open all the time? how do you avoid swollowing until you spit it out?
    Im curious how it stayes on your teeth??
    Thanks

• The Coconut Mama July 10, 2014, 8:51 pm

Hi Maggie,

No, I actually keep my mouth closed and “swoosh” the coconut oil around for the full 20 minutes. It’s not too difficult to keep it in your mouth. Just try it a few times and you’ll get the hang of it!

• Starr Miner July 21, 2014, 9:06 am

I have recently started oil pulling with Thieves and I love it!! After using I brush my teeth with baking soda – no more chemicals for me!! (Hope this is healthy…) I keep my coconut oil, Thieves, and a glass ‘spit jar’ in the bottom drawer in the bathroom. No clogged pipes!

• beth July 29, 2014, 6:07 am

Is oil pulling safe if you have old amalgam fillings? Or is it likely to pull out more mercury?

• Joan Mobley July 30, 2014, 10:41 pm

I have been oil pulling for about three months. I am reall glad to learn that I can incorporate oils int my routine

• Lori August 5, 2014, 7:38 pm

Is this still beneficial if you have no teeth, I lost mine a long time ago?

• Jamie August 15, 2014, 5:22 pm

How often do you do this?

• Summer Hawk September 1, 2014, 9:30 am

Hi~I have been oil pulling since December 2013. I have not had more than a sniffle since, even after being in close contact with others with colds/flus. I have used sunflower seed oil, sesame seed oil & coconut oil (my fav), spit into a plastic bag as not to contaminate the septic system, followed by a rinse of warm h2o w/sea salt. I love the idea of being able to reduce the bacteria known to inhabit our mouths. Very refreshing. I will definitely try the essential oils soon. Happy oil pulling!

• Jen September 3, 2014, 1:02 pm

How often do you do the oil pulling? Daily? Weekly?

• Dee September 5, 2014, 6:12 am

In between my last dental appointment to my most recent one, I oil pulled religiously for 20 minutes a day, alternating with coconut and sesame oil. I started using a drop of thieves soon after I heard about it. My recent dental appointment had my dental hygienist almost in a state of shock! She was absolutely floored by the fact that my gums had tightened significantly, and that there was little to no bleeding when she was working on them. Seriously, all I kept hearing her say was, “Oh my God, this is so awesome!” If you’re not oil pulling, you definitely need to try it!

• Dawn September 27, 2014, 9:22 pm

Thanks so much Dee for saying so! I have heard about oil pulling several years ago… but didn’t quite understand it and tried it and it was just gross… But, I love coconut oil and didn’t realize that this could improve the teeth, gums, etc more than anti-bacteral wash (you know the burning kind) and brushing….

And thanks so much Tiffany for ALL your posts! I’m really enjoying your everything here.

• Susan October 1, 2014, 12:48 pm

About 40 years ago I had a lot of dental work done. Caps, root canals, fillings and all. And now the’re saying what they used back then is toxic and I should have it redone, which is not going to happen. I’m not having any problems so I’m leaving well enough alone. My question is can I oil pull or will that create problems for me?

• D October 7, 2014, 10:13 pm

I have the same question. Safe for a mouth full of old fillings?

• Amanda October 14, 2014, 8:19 pm

Is this the oil you buy in the baking aisle?? Because I also own fractionated coconut oil that is from health food store. Can I use it instead of the thick oil?? Thanks.

• Miyu October 21, 2014, 1:07 pm

I am also curious about oil pulling and old amalgam fillings… I’m 27 and had my fillings all done withing the last 15 years, so I’m not running on very old fillings but I know they still have mercury in them. I also have one filling that apparently trapped nasties and started a new cavity all round the filling… I’m not sure how it’s holding on there but I’m worried that one day it’ll just pop off!

• Marina November 16, 2014, 12:08 am

I’m not sure if i am using the correct type of oil, my breath smells way better since i am using coconut oil but should it be a specific kind? Mine not for baking it’s more for like eating or of course some sort of hygienic purpose. That’s what it says on the container any way if it’s possible i’d like to know what brand or type of oil you prefer sing so i can understand if i’m doing this correctly. Much appreciated

• Christie November 23, 2014, 11:52 pm

Marina,
      I notice what Tiffany listed in her website of resouces and she listed traditional tropical and nutiva coconut oil. I know that I trust the brand Nutiva coconut oil since I’ve use it for 3 years. I’ve heard that traditional tropical coconut oil are good.