Does coconut oil clog your drains?
Nobody wants to ruin their plumbing by using coconut oil in the bathroom. I get it!
First, I want to say that in all my years of using coconut oil I haven’t had an issue with drains clogging. Here’s the thing though, I always take very hot baths and showers which is one reason why I’m not too worried about my drains. You see, coconut oil melts at approximately 76 degrees. So unless you’re taking a cold shower or bath you most likely won’t have any issues with it clumping up and clogging your drains.
It does happen for some though. If your pipes are cold and there’s coconut oil in them it will harden until hot water runs through and melts it.
Here are some tips to help this from not happening:
- After you use coconut oil in your bath or shower run hot water down your drain for 30 seconds to help flush it down while it’s melted.
- Are you oil pulling? Don’t spit your coconut oil down the sink! Instead, spit it out in a plastic bag or cup and dispose of it in the trash.
- When you cook with coconut oil, leave the oil in the pan and let it harden. Then use a spatula to scrape out the excess coconut oil and toss it in the trash.
- If you’re concerned about using coconut oil in your homemade bath scrubs, use fractionated coconut oil instead. It’s in liquid form and won’t harden in your drains.
How To Unclog Your Drains Naturally (without store bought drain cleaners)
If you’re drains are clogged and you’re looking for a natural solution to clean them the following recipe works really well!
- Pour 2 cups of hot boiling water down your drain.
- Then pour 1/2 c. baking soda down the drain. You might have to use your hands to get all the baking soda down the drain.
- Next you’ll need to pour 1 ½ cups of white vinegar down the drain, Yes, you will see bubbles. This is good! The bubbles help clean the gunk stuck in your drains.
- Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Then lastly, you’re going to want to pour more hot boiling water down your drain again to get flush it out.
Have you had trouble with coconut oil clogging your drains?
Leave a comment below and share whether you’ve had a problem with coconut oil clogging your drains and how you resolved the issue.