This week my three year old daughter was sick with a bad cold. Poor little thing, this is the first bad cough she has had. I always have a hard time when my babies are sick. I do my best to care for them. I’ve spent a good part of this week snuggling her and feeding her nourishing food.
My daughter, Naomi, didn’t sleep well the other night due to her sore throat and cough. Being the “natural mama” I am, I decided to make her a cough syrup rather than purchasing medicine.
I did some research and this is what I learned…
Honey has powerful anti-viral and anti-microbial properties! In clinical studies, honey has shown to be just as effective in alleviating coughs as over the counter cough medicine. Honey is also known to help alleviate allergies. According to this article, taking a few teaspoons of local raw honey a day prior to pollen season can be effective in boosting your immunity to pollen!
Lemon juice is often used in home remedies for a good reason! It is known to help boost the immune system and also has antiviral and antibacterial properties. I personally like to drink lemon juice when I have a stuffy nose. It helps to clear my sinuses so I can breathe better.
Coconut oil is rich in antioxidants and contains lauric acid, which is antibacterial and antiviral. Coconut oil can be used to help prevent colds by boosting the immune system. Once the cold is set in, coconut oil can help reduce the length of sickness and can be quite soothing when added to warm honey-lemon water or tea.
Mix these three ingredients together and you have yourself a super immune boosting syrup that will help alleviate coughs and sore throats!
Honey and Lemon Cough Syrup with Coconut Oil
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a small saucepan and heat over low until coconut oil is melted.
2. Take warm syrup by the spoonful as desired. You can also mix the syrup into hot water or tea.
3. Once the syrup is cooled the coconut oil will harden. Gently warm the syrup up before using. Store in refrigerator for up to a month.
- Can eating local honey cure allergies
- Honey and its many benefits to overall health and wellness
- When life gives you lemons, make 100 home remedies to improve your health
- Coconut Oil, Tree of Life
- Coconut Oil and Medium-Chain Triglycerides
- Honey: An effective cough remedy?
Subscribe for instant access to my free ebook, Coconut Flour Recipes. I'll also send you free weekly recipes and wellness tips.