Everyone should use a face mask once a week to rejuvenate the skin. This DIY charcoal mask is gentle and will leave your skin incredibly soft.
Charcoal has become a “superfood” in cosmetics. The are peel masks, cleansing bars, hand soap and even shampoo made with it. While I don’t particularly use the face peels (they’re too harsh on the skin) I do believe that activated charcoal has some merit to it’s popularity. It has countless uses, but when it comes to natural skincare it’s a game changer. Whether you have oily skin, acne prone skin, or dry skin, charcoal can be used to balance your skin tone and reduce inflamed skin.
DIY Charcoal Mask – 4 Key Ingredients
Applying a cleansing mask to your skin once or twice a week can do wonders for your skin. Here are some reasons I love the ingredients in this recipe:
- Activated charcoal is well known for it’s cleansing abilities. It can draw out bacteria, chemicals, dirt and other micro-particles to the surface of skin, helping you to achieve a clean complexion.
- Bentonite clays have been used in traditional remedies to heal and rejuvenate skin. This type of clay is also antibacterial, making it the perfect opponent to break outs and acne.
- Aleo vera is used often is often recommend for buts, burns, rashes, you name it! It’s rich in vitamins, enzyme and antioxidants and is wonderful for inflamed and irritated skin.
- Green tea is rich in polyphenols, which have been shown to reduce inflammation, promote healing and may prevent UV light-induced skin disorders. It’s also rich in caffeine, which help to tighten the skin and reduce puffiness, leaving your skin youthful and radiant.
- Essential oils are optional in this recipe but I couldn’t help but mention them here. They’re 50 times more powerful than herbs, making them incredibly beneficial to skincare products. But be wise! You only need to add 1-2 drops to reap their benefits.
While there are hundreds of charcoal products on the market I choose to make my own. When it comes to my skincare, I like to make my own products as much as possible. There’s never a question as for whether what I’m putting on my skin is safe or not. Because I made it myself!
How To Use
While using this mask, incorporate it on days that that you are relaxed or when you take a detox bath. Then prep your face by washing it with a gentle cleanser (like this Aloe Herb Cleanser). Preparing the mask only takes a few minutes and it’s easy to apply it with fingers or a facial brush. Avoid applying it near your eyes.Print
DIY Charcoal Mask For Radiant Skin (Only 4 Ingredients)
- Mix the activated charcoal and bentonite clay together in a small bowl.
- Add a teaspoon of aloe vera to the powders and mix well.
- Slowly add the green tea to mixture, just enough to make a wet paste (I used about 1 tablespoon).
- Mix in 1-2 drops of essential oils, if using.
- Apply the mask to your face, be careful to avoid the eyes as they can be irritated by the face mask.
- Leave the mask on your skin for 3-8 minutes or until it begins to dry.
- Wash your face with warm water and a gentle cleanser.