My oh my, how I love me some mayonnaise! I’m a BIG mayo person! I am, however, not a fan of the ingredients in store-bought mayonnaise. Especially the nasty oils, like canola and soy! I also don’t like to use a lot of olive oil, because it too is pretty high in omega 6 fatty acid, which I’m trying to keep low in my diet.
I decided to play around with some recipes to see if I could make a healthier mayonnaise. This is what I came up with….
Coconut oil mayonnaise ingredients and notes
Look over the ingredients, and you’ll generally think “yeah, that’s mayo.” You need an egg, an egg yolk, mustard, lemon juice, salt and pepper. All very typical. Really the big difference is coconut oil instead of your more typical canola or olive oil. The coconut oil definitely gives it a richness and body that I love – especially homemade coconut oil, which guarantees that you know EXACTLY what you’re putting in your body.Print
Coconut Oil Mayonnaise
Homemade coconut oil mayonnaise made with natural ingredients and healthy fats.
- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon of whey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In food processor or blender, blend first four ingredients until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour oil into egg mixture.
- Add whey and mix until blended.
- Season mayonnaise to your preference.
- Cover tightly and leave out on counter for 7 hours before refrigerating.
- Mayonnaise will keep several months in refrigerator.