My oh my, how I love me some mayonnaise! I’m a BIG mayo person! I am, however, not a fan of the ingredients in store-bought mayonnaise. Especially the nasty oils, like canola and soy! I also don’t like to use a lot of olive oil, because it too is pretty high in omega 6 fatty acid, which I’m trying to keep low in my diet.
I decided to play around with some recipes to see if I could make a healthier mayonnaise. This is what I came up with….Print
Coconut Oil Mayonnaise
Homemade coconut oil mayonnaise made with natural ingredients and healthy fats.
- 1 whole egg, at room temperature
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted
- 1 tablespoon of whey
- pinch of salt and pepper
- In food processor or blender, blend first four ingredients until smooth.
- With motor running, slowly pour oil into egg mixture.
- Add whey and mix until blended.
- Season mayonnaise to your preference.
- Cover tightly and leave out on counter for 7 hours before refrigerating.
- Mayonnaise will keep several months in refrigerator.