I’ve been asked by several readers to post a recipe for dairy free yogurt. After testing and reviewing several complicated recipes I have found a simple recipe that I feel comfortable suggesting to my dairy free readers.
Most of the coconut milk yogurt products found at the grocery store contain unsafe additives like gums and carrageenan. This homemade coconut yogurt only has three ingredients.
Once you’ve made your coconut yogurt you can add natural sweetener, flavor and spices to suit your taste. I like to add raw honey and vanilla!
Raw Coconut Yogurt
This recipe makes two cups of yogurt.Equipment Food processor or blender Glass jar for culturing Ingredients
- 6 Young Thai Coconuts
- 4 probiotic capsules or 1 Vegetable Culture Starter
Raw Coconut Yogurt
- Food processor or high quality blender
- Glass jar for culturing
- 6 Young Thai Coconuts. Young Thai Coconuts can be found at most health food stores, but check your local Asian Market for the best prices.
- 4 Probiotic Capsules or 1 Vegetable Culture Starter
- Open coconuts and reserve coconut water.
- Spoon the coconut meat from coconuts and puree in food processor. Add coconut water one tablespoon at a time until coconut puree is desired consistency.
- Pour coconut mixture into a glass jar.
- Open probiotic capsules and mix them into the coconut mixture. If you are using vegetable culture, open package and add to coconut mix.
- Cover tightly with lid and allow coconut yogurt to ferment for 24-48 hours on the counter.
- Check yogurt after 12 hours and taste. The yogurt should have a slightly sour (yogurt) taste.
- Once fermented, yogurt can be sweetened (if desired) and stored in the refrigerator. Keeps for one week.
What is your favorite yogurt flavor?
Mine? Vanilla. Boring, I know. But its my favorite :).As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.