Coconut Oil Mayonnaise

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

My oh my, how I love me some mayonnaise! I’m a BIG mayo person! I am however, not a fan of the ingredients in store-bought mayonnaise. Especially the nasty oils, like canola and soy! I also don’t like to use a lot of olive oil, because it too is pretty high in omega 6 fatty acid, which I’m trying to keep low in my diet.

I decided to play around with some recipes to see if I could make a healthier mayonnaise. This is what I came up with….

Photobucket

Photo Credit: Cooking God’s Way

Coconut Oil Mayonnaise

• 1 whole egg, at room temperature
  • 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon of mustard
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup of coconut oil, melted =1 tablespoon of whey
  • pinch of salt and pepper

In food processor or blender, blend first four ingredients until smooth. With motor running, slowly pour oil into egg mixture. Add whey and mix until blended. Season mayonnaise to your preference. Cover tightly and leave out on counter for 7 hours before refrigerating. Mayonnaise will keep several months in refrigerator.

This makes for a very thick mayonnaise! You will want to leave it at room temperature for 30 minutes before using. You may also use refined coconut oil if you don’t like the sweet taste of virgin coconut oil.

If you prefer not to use whey, you may leave it out of recipe and refrigerate mayonnaise immediately (mayonnaise will only keep for a week without whey).

• Tara June 10, 2010, 7:54 am

Interesting! I love coconut oil and go through about a gallon every six weeks. I've been making mayo just like this except for using olive oil. I would love to try the coconut oil. Have you tried a half and half mixture of oils? Since CO is solid when chilled, does it do the same to the mayo? Is that why you have to leave it out for a while before using?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama June 10, 2010, 9:00 am

Yes, this mayo gets almost solid in the refrigerator (It looks like frosting). If you try half olive oil, half coconut oil, it wont be as thick.

Thanks for dropping by, Tara!

• Carmen June 10, 2010, 10:51 am

This mayo sounds really yummy! I've been making my mayo as well but use grapeseed oil. I will want to try coconut oil next time.

thanks for sharing!

blessings
    carmen

• Cortne June 11, 2010, 4:28 am

This sounds really good. I just recently discovered the joys of making my own mayo and this would be a great way to use up all of the coconut oil that I have (I use it as a hair conditioner or for cooking with certain cuisines).

Thanks for a great post!

• Melodie June 11, 2010, 10:39 am

Wow! This is the first mayo recipe I've seen made with coconut oil. It looks beautiful! Thanks for linking up with me!

• Kim@GFRealFood June 11, 2010, 6:02 pm

I am so happy to have found your blog and this recipe. (I found you thru The Wholesome Foods Carnival). I have made mayo using olive oil but really didn't like the flavor, too olivey. I've been meaning to try it with coconut oil which I use for almost everything because of it's low omega 6 content. I just hadn't gotten around to it. Now I don't have to recreate the wheel. Thanks for posting. Also, what is the purpose of the whey?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama June 12, 2010, 11:03 am

Thanks for visiting my blog ladies! I hope you all like this recipe!

@ Kim – The addition of whey will help your mayonnaise to last longer, add enzymes, and increase nutrient content of mayonnaise. You don't have to add whey if you don't want too. It's just an added bonus =)

• Sarah A. June 12, 2010, 11:43 am

Thank you so much for this great idea! I have tried homemade mayo many times with no real successes. The oil was either always too strongly flavored or it just didn't emulsify properly. This came out perfectly! Granted I did 1/3 olive and 2/3 coconut oil. Thanks again!

• Anjanette June 12, 2010, 6:36 pm

I can't wait to try this! We tried olive oil mayo but didn't much like the strong flavor. We LOVE coconut oil though!!

• Kim@gfrealfood July 18, 2010, 2:07 pm

I just made yogurt and am now making cheese. So I have all this whey available. I just made this mayo and it is AWESOME. Nice work! I'm never buying mayo again!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama July 19, 2010, 5:01 pm

@Kim – So glad you like the mayo!

• Sarah Schatz - menus for limited diets August 13, 2010, 12:28 pm

I'm wondering if maybe if you add some salt to the recipe, it would replace the whey. I don't add whey to my sauerkraut and just use salt and it always ferments just fine. Just not sure how much to add.

thanks for this!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama August 13, 2010, 1:47 pm

@ Sarah – I have heard you can use salt instead of whey. Let me know how it works!

• Michelle September 13, 2010, 11:46 am

I'm allergic to egg. Does anyone know of any way to make mayo with out egg (or soy – I'm allergic to that too)?

Thanks!!!

• Hope September 13, 2010, 3:43 pm

just made it! yum!

• Kim@GFRealFood October 8, 2010, 12:41 pm

I just wanted to tell you that I love love this recipe. You are a genius. This is the only recipe I can think of that I keep coming back to over and over again and make no changes to. I have used this mayo for everything. Salads, dressings dips, sandwiches etc. The kids love it too. I have not purchased mayo since I found your recipe. I did have some commercial mayo when out at a restaurant recently tho. YUCK! It tasted so artificial and… greasy? I don't know but it was bad!
    Thanks again for this and all your recipes.

• Kim@GFRealFood October 8, 2010, 12:43 pm

Thanks again for this and all your recipes.

• sophiesfoodiefiles June 8, 2011, 10:25 pm

This is a tasty & lovely home – made coconut oil mayonaise!,…Oooh yes!!!

MMMMMMMM,…!!! :)

• Donna M. June 12, 2011, 2:20 pm

Oh, I can't wait to try this recipe! I go through lots of CO here…love the stuff! I've been doing w/o mayo b/c there isn't any on the market that I will eat and though I've made it w/olive oil before and liked it well enough it did have a strong flavor. I didn't realize it was high in O-6s. So, this recipe is very, very welcome! Thanks!

• kristyreal May 30, 2012, 11:56 am

I just wanted to add that it works just as well to add some juice from any jar of fermented veggies in place of the whey. I often count on this as an extra seasoning as well as kickstarting the fermentation process. I like just randomly picking any of the dozen or so varieties of fermented veggies I have in my fridge, but the garlic dill cucumber juice is my favorite at the moment.

• The Coconut Mama May 31, 2012, 8:47 am

Good to know, Kristyreal! Thank you for sharing :).

• Pardnaxela February 11, 2013, 7:01 am

I get that the fermented veggie juice adds good bacteria, but how does the whey work to aid preservation?

• JJ December 20, 2012, 2:20 pm

What about Salmonella?  The vinegar is enought to kill any forms of bacteria?  & would the properties of coconut kill Salmonella?

• Charlotteoliver1 January 11, 2013, 6:06 am

Doesn’t it get hard in the fridge.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama January 13, 2013, 9:12 am

Yes. That is why is suggest in the directions to let the mayo sit out for a 20-30 minutes before using.

• April March 7, 2013, 6:13 pm

I’m very depressed as I typed this… I tried to make mayo yesterday with 1/2 coconut oil and 1/2 olive oil. It was going so well with the olive oil, and then I started pouring in the melted coconut oil and all of it melted! I realized that the coconut oil was quite hot from being liquified! Now the whole batch is ruined :/ It might be a good idea to note in the recipe to let the coconut oil cool a bit before pouring in, just in case someone makes my same mistake…

• HillaryMadeline April 1, 2013, 7:02 pm

Do you use Fresh Whey? Is this readily available in most healthfood stores?

• Alyssa Bohon April 19, 2013, 5:14 am

Love this idea for adding whey! I was discouraged from making my own mayo because other recipes said ‘keeps for one week’ and I couldn’t imagine eating that much mayo in a week and not having to throw some away. I have some garlic goat whey in the fridge from making goat cheese and this sounds like a perfect use for it. Thanks!

• Nia August 1, 2013, 10:31 pm

This is awesome. Thank you. I too used 1/3c. olive oil and the rest coconut and man it’s great. This will help my whole30 go much more smoothly as I will make this into delicious sauces I’m sure.

• Lisa September 3, 2013, 11:08 am

I know many of us are adding coconut oil to our diet daily; so many great benefits! This recipe is too good not to share – Coconut Oil Mayonnaise. I made it exactly on recipe; and just tasted the chilled mayo; and it reminds me of the decadent, fresh homemade mayonnaise you get in a French Bistro. I can see adding tarragon to make a béarnaise, or lemon zest for fish, or garlic and parmesan for a creamy Caesar. Excellent!

• kristy December 2, 2013, 10:40 am

I am confused on what kind of whey to use. Is it the liquid from making cheese or powdered whey?
    Thanks, Kristy

• Cassie January 23, 2014, 9:57 am

Do you suppose whey from a batch of kefir would work well? Or how about the leftover juice from a batch of fermented pickles? I don’t have yogurt whey available to me at the moment but I’m dying to make this without buying more ingredients haha.

• Cassie January 23, 2014, 10:10 am

Ope I see someone posted that my options work fine. Carry on! Thanks for the recipe :)

• Kerri July 8, 2014, 10:29 am

I don’t understand the recipe. It indicated oil=whey. Then in the paragraph it states, “If not using whey….” So are we to use oil and whey or what? A little confusing to me. Please advise as I would like to make the recipe very soon.

• Christine M July 10, 2014, 5:58 pm

I’m having the same confusion. Seems like whey should be on it’s own line?

And what kind of whey are you talking about? Whey as in ‘curds and whey’ or whey protein whey? Sorry for the confusion. I love the idea of this recipe, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Thank you!

• Megan July 11, 2014, 9:13 am

The whey listed in the ingredients is a separate ingredient and it is the liquid left over from cheese making or the liquid that separates out when you don’t stir your yogurt. It is not the powdered whey protein you buy in the store. If you are not making your own cheeses and yogurts and kefir and such from raw milk then you can use the juice from fermented veggies, either ones you make yourself or buy in a jar from the health food store as long as it is live cultures.