Whip up these dairy free homemade truffles for a delicious and decadent dessert. This truffle mixture takes just dark chocolate, coconut cream and coconut oil to make these homemade chocolate truffles. You can serve them up at parties, events, or as a valentine’s day dessert for a loved one. This is a must for a chocolate lover.
The key is to use high quality chocolate so these tastes just like a quality store bought truffle. An easy treat that takes minimal ingredients and effort to make. These make a great gift for loved ones, so don’t wait and try today.
Make sure to try out this vegan peppermint bark for another chocolate treat. Now you have to try these coconut clusters for another bite-size dessert.
How to Make Chocolate Truffles
Filled with rich chocolate ganache centers and coated in cocoa powder, these little truffles are sure to please any chocolate lover!
Chocolate Truffle Ingredients
- Chocolate – I used a dark chocolate bars for this recipe, but you can use milk chocolate or white chocolate if you like.
- Coconut Cream – This is what gives the recipe a rich and creamy texture. You will love the creamy truffles. Traditionally, heavy cream is used in truffles, but coconut cream is a great dairy-free alternative.
- Coconut Oil – This replaces the butter that is in traditional chocolate truffles. You can buy great coconut oil or make your own coconut oil at home.
- Vanilla and Salt – These two ingredients are optional but it will elevate the flavor of the truffles tremendously. Especially if you use homemade vanilla extract…
Find the full steps on how to make chocolate truffles are in the printable recipe card. This is a quick walk through on how it is made.
Step One: Start by chopping your chocolate into finely. Place the chocolate in a bowl. Then place to the side.
Step Two: Next you will add your coconut cream in a pan and bring it the beginning of a boil. Alternatively, you can microwave the cream until it summers.
Step Three: Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and add in the coconut oil, salt and vanilla. Stir the chocolate mixture to combine.
Step Four: Let the chocolate ganache set at room temperature for two hours. Then you will refrigerate the chocolate until it is firm, about two more hours.
Step Five: Scoop the chocolate ganache out with a tablespoon and roll the chocolate into balls into unsweetened cocoa powder, shredded coconut, powdered sugar, or chopped nuts. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Topping Ideas and Variations
- To make hazelnut truffles, you could put a whole hazelnut in the center of the truffle. Or chop the hazelnut finely and roll the truffles in the nuts.
- Do festive sprinkles for holidays or to fit a theme.
- Use chocolate shavings to roll your truffles in, it will give it a gorgeous look.
- Add in some orange, raspberry, etc. extract. This will change up the flavor of the chocolate balls greatly.
- Crush candy canes or peppermint candies and roll the balls in.
- Chocolate sprinkles are a traditional chocolate coating for the truffles. Just press them into the truffles.
- Roll in mini chocolate chips for a nice crunch factor.
There are endless ways to change up the flavor and look of your truffles. Have fun and get creative and create the perfect chocolate treat that fits your tastebuds.
Storing Your Chocolate Truffles
So you will want to store the truffles in the fridge or in the freezer until you are ready to serve them up. I like to place wax paper in between layers of the finished truffles, as it will prevent them from sticking together. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
You can also freeze the truffles for up to 4-5 months. Then just thaw on the counter for a quick thaw or you can refrigerate the truffles to thaw slower.
Chocolate Truffles FAQs
You will use a small cookie scoop to create a same size truffle. You could also use a melon baller as well. The goal is just to have the same size truffles.
Yes you can double or even triple the recipe if you would like. Just make as many truffles as you would like. You can make them all at once. It might take a bit longer for the chocolate to set up in the fridge for rolling.
Yes, you can easily make this recipe dairy free. Make sure to use dairy-free chocolate bars or chocolate chips.
Chocolate Truffles Recipe (Dairy-Free)
These are the best chocolate truffles you will ever make! This easy chocolate truffle recipe is made with simple ingredients like coconut cream and coconut oil instead of heavy cream and butter and taste so delicious, you wouldn’t know they’re vegan! Make these for the holidays or any special occasion.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 4 hours
- Yield: 18–20 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semi-sweet, bittersweet chocolate, or dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- optional 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- optional pinch salt
- Coating: 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate the chocolate up into small pieces. This will help it to melt quickly.
- Heat the coconut cream just until it begins to boil.
- Pour the coconut cream over the chopped chocolate and add the coconut oil, vanilla and salt. Stir until smooth.
- Cover the bowl with wrap or a towel and leave the ganache at room temperature for 2 hours to set.
- After it has set, refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm enough to scoop out.
- Use a cookie scoop or a tablespoon to scoop out each truffle. Roll the truffles in cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or chopped nuts.
- Set on a parchment-lined platter. Refrigerate or freeze until ready to serve.
- Serving Size: 2 truffles
- Calories: 132
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Protein: 1.5g
Leave a Comment