Creamy Coconut Oatmeal

Creamy Coconut Oatmeal

Creamy Coconut Oatmeal

Mix warm water and whey (or other choices) with rolled oats. Cover bowl with towel and soak 8 – 24 hours. (note: soaking oats in whey or vinegar helps to break down phytic acid in the oats. Read more about phytic acid here.)

Drain soaked oats. Bring coconut milk and salt to boil. Add oats and cook 3-5 minutes. Add sweetener (if desired) and top with toasted shredded coconut.

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Serve and enjoy!

ad_spacer ad_spacer
ad_spacer ad_spacer

• Sharon August 20, 2010, 1:28 pm

This sounds like dessert for breakfast! Yummy!

• Bizzy B. Bakes August 23, 2010, 12:32 pm

This is how to make oatmeal heavenly.

Thanks for linking this up. You have enriched the breakfast of many, I hope.

• April@The 21st Century Housewife August 23, 2010, 1:48 pm

What an interesting recipe! I love the idea of coconut in oatmeal – looks lovely with the blueberries too!

• Amanda September 14, 2010, 9:36 am

This is dessert for breakfast! I made this for breakfast this morning and fell head over heals for it. Aside from almost burning down my apartment trying to toast coconut flakes at what obviously was too high of a heat setting this was hands down the best real food breakfast I've ever had! Thanks for sharing this Tiffany!

• healy September 16, 2010, 12:51 am

this recipe is new to me. You really rocks! I love to try and have this for breakfast:)

• Holly July 15, 2011, 12:08 pm

oh wow that sounds good. I'll have to stock up on coconut milk. and I can eat oatmeal again!

• joanna January 11, 2013, 10:17 am

Wow, this was just amazing.  Wonderful comfort food and a beautiful way to start the day!  I burned the coconut the first time because I left it in too long.  It only takes a minute or two. I think I like it best without the shredded coconut though – creamy smooth!  Dessert for breakfast is right!

• ltfrombc January 11, 2013, 2:26 pm

This looks so good. I am going to have to try this. I do have a question however – what does the whey, yogurt, kefir, lemon juice or vinegar do?

• missy January 11, 2013, 6:06 pm

How long does whey stay good? Are there any signs that it has gone bad? Thanks!!!

• Nancy April 4, 2013, 8:09 am

Try it in the crockpot over night on low. 1 C oatmeal (steel cut or organic rolled oats) 1 C water 1 C coconut milk (or ditch the water and do 2 C milk) ,1/2 (or more/less to yr taste) pure maple syrup 1 tsp sea salt. In morning top with shredded coconut, toasted or dried fuit. I put this in my small crock pot and my boys devour it.

• Thoughtful Cooking January 7, 2014, 6:58 am

Can we skip the overnight soaking if we are using sprouted oats? And do I need to be worried about the guar gum that seems to be in all the coconut milk I can find?

• Susanna April 8, 2014, 6:15 am

This is the second time I am making it and while it tastes great. I never have any water left from soaking the oats…is that ok?

• Trisha April 29, 2014, 6:33 am

I used white vinegar since it doesn’t specify. Horrible. Even after cooking it with the coconut milk it just tasted like straight vinegar. So, I don’t recommend using that.

• Stacie August 28, 2014, 5:33 pm

When soaking the oats overnight, leave on the counter or in the frigde? I’m assuming in the fridge if using yogurt.

• Adria R December 4, 2014, 11:18 am

Are you supposed to refrigerate this or leave on the counter overnight? If using whey/yogurt specifically? Thanks