Sweet Potato Crackers (Grain Free)

I’ve been looking for a grain free/nut free cracker recipe for my two-year old to snack on. I didn’t find any recipes online. So, I decided to experiment a little to see if I could come up with something myself. I must warn you, this recipe is not perfect. These crackers are only crispy for an hour or two after baking, but they work! My two-year old loved them and ate them up. I love a recipe that is simple, nourishing, and tasty! I hope you enjoy these!

Photobucket

Sweet Potato Cracker Recipe

• 1/2 cup cooked sweet potatoes
  • 2 egg whites (I’m sure 2 whole eggs would work, but I had extra egg whites I needed to use)
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil or butter {where to buy healthy fats}
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 5 tablespoons coconut flour {where to buy coconut flour}

Method

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.

Using a food processor or electric mixer and mix all ingredients together into a smooth paste.

Spread cracker mixture over a parchment lined baking sheet.

Spread 1/4 inch thick.

Bake for 15 minutes. Take baking sheet out of the oven and score half-baked dough into cracker sized pieces. Spread a tablespoon of melted coconut oil over crackers. Sprinkle with sea salt and return back to oven to bake until crispy, 7-10 minutes. Serve immediately. After a few hours some of the crackers will soften and will need to be re-baked to crisp up.

List Price: $9.19
Current Price: $7.25
Buy Now
Price Disclaimer

• EmptyNester September 27, 2011, 4:31 pm

You are amazing! These look fantastic! Thanks!

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 27, 2011, 4:33 pm

Thanks Empty Nester! Your comments mean sooo much to me! Thank you for reading my blog =)

• Alchemille September 27, 2011, 5:19 pm

Thank you for sharing but is it 1/2 cup diced or mashed sweet potatoes?

• Tiffany - The Coconut Mama September 27, 2011, 5:34 pm

Alchemille – It doesn't matter if they are diced or mashed because they will be blended when you make the cracker dough =). I just peeled my potatoes (I baked them with the skin on) and squished them into the measuring cup.

• Nicole @ Special Diet Creations September 27, 2011, 9:30 pm

This is brilliant! Both my husband and I will love these. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.

• Jill September 28, 2011, 4:30 am

Sounds wonderful! I bet this would work with butternut squash as well! I'm going to try this! As usual I love your recipes!

• Anonymous September 28, 2011, 5:29 am

Have you tried putting them in the dehydrator after they get soft again? I'm just wondering if that would help. Only reason I suggest it is because I make corn tortilla chips from the Ezekial tortillas. I found they softened within a day and just dehydrated them overnight again. This time, they stayed crisp! So, just a suggestion. If you try it, let us know if that helps keep them crisp?

• Anonymous September 28, 2011, 10:59 am

Thanks for this. I'll have to try it.

• nikki September 29, 2011, 8:16 am

Definitely going to try these! I wonder if leaving them in the oven for a while longer (maybe at lower temp) would help the crispyness issue? Either way they look amazing – thanks for sharing!

• Coconut Mama September 30, 2011, 6:38 pm

Good idea! I think I’ll try that next time I make them. I bet it will work!

• Lori @ Laurel of Leaves October 1, 2011, 1:00 am

What a great idea! I bet they would be delicious even after they lose their ‘crisp.’ Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• jill October 4, 2011, 11:09 pm

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Hope to see you next week! Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for
    Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

If you have grain-free recipes please visit Wednesday night for a grain-free linky carnival in support of my 28 day grain-free challenge starting Wednesday!

• Dayna October 6, 2011, 4:50 pm

These look so yummy!! I was searching online this morning for a gluten free snack to send with my girl on the plane and these will be perfect. Wish me luck in making em turn out as good as yours! Thank you for all your Gluten free recipes!!

• jill October 9, 2011, 12:20 am

HI,
    I featured this great post at Sunday Snippets. Come and take a peek!

• AdriennePage32 October 12, 2011, 3:49 pm

People all over the world receive the credit loans from various banks, because that’s easy.

• Amanadoo December 20, 2011, 3:50 pm

I had to stop and say thank you so much for this recipe! I know my family is going to really appreciate this. OMGosh the kids will go nuts for them! And My husband is doing Paleo and I know he misses “crispy” things. I love the dehydrator tip for re-crisping too!

• The Coconut Mama December 20, 2011, 6:53 pm

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you like these crackers :)

• Julie D January 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Just finished making these this morning followed all the directions, though mine came out soft(may have been too thick) but I put them in the dehydrator for an hour and that crisped them up well.
    Also made a sweet version: added 2 tablespoons coconut sugar, half tablespoon maple syrup and omitted most of the salt. Then I brushed them with maple syrup and coconut oil at the half way mark of cooking. Tastes similar to graham crackers.

• The Coconut Mama January 17, 2012, 3:47 pm

What a great idea! I will try that next time I want a sweet cracker :)

• Jordie July 16, 2013, 11:45 pm

These look great, I’ll have to try them on my brother who abhors veggies of any kind :) 1 egg white or 1 egg yolk = 1/2 an egg, so instead of 2 egg whites you’d only need 1 whole egg, not 2 (or 2 yolks)

• rick September 4, 2013, 3:03 pm

Those sound delicious. The loss of “crispy” is what has plagued all my attempts at making homemade crackers.

• Julie Jensen September 4, 2013, 4:25 pm

How about adding some cinnamon?

• Chef Portia January 13, 2014, 8:50 am

Wowzers, these are delicious. I had trouble getting them thin, but it didn’t matter. Mine turned out more like tiny flat biscuits, but they were truly delish.

• Karen February 12, 2014, 5:46 pm

I live in a very hot country where my coconut oil is always in the liquid form. When I place the coconut oil in, does it need to be in the solid state of liquid is fine?

• The Coconut Mama February 13, 2014, 1:29 pm

The liquid form of coconut oil is perfectly fine Karen!