Homemade Chocolate Chips {Soy Free, Dairy Free, Vegan}

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

diychocchips
line1
I wish I would have made these a long time ago! I never thought it would be so easy to make my own chocolate chips. I’ve had a hard time finding good quality chocolate chips that don’t use soy lecithin and undesirable sweeteners. These are soy free and are sweetened with raw honey and maple syrup.

Homemade Chocolate Chips

Method
Gently heat all ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Mix until ingredients are combined and chocolate sauce is smooth.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Pour chocolate sauce over parchment lined cookie sheet. Place cookie sheet in freezer. Freeze for 2-3 hours or until chocolate is completely hard.

Remove chocolate from the freezer and break it into chunks. I used my hands to do this. Then chop chocolate into small chocolate chip size pieces.

Store chocolate chips in freezer. These can be used just like store bought chocolate chips! I used these to make chocolate chip cookies! I will be posting my results plus the recipe tomorrow!

This recipe is linked to Make Your Own! Monday, Fat Tuesday, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday

line2
line1

• Mike F September 10, 2012, 10:52 am

Every time I try a recipe like this with coconut oil, unsweetened coco powder, and honey the honey always separates and sinks to the bottom in the freezer.

• The Coconut Mama September 10, 2012, 12:22 pm

Hmmm I didn’t have that problem =/

• Chirojules January 19, 2013, 7:21 am

me too – same if I use Maple Sugar ):  Maybe that’s because I’ve always used an ice tray and it’s much thicker.  I’m going to try spreading it on the cookie sheet really thin and see what happens (:

• heather July 17, 2013, 8:29 pm

I’ve had that problem sometimes too, my theory is that I don’t always get the honey warm enough to mix with the oil which melts so quickly. I’m still working on this theory so it could be something else too?

• Carrie September 11, 2012, 7:10 am

Yummy! I will be trying soon :)

• The Coconut Mama September 11, 2012, 8:50 am

They’re really easy to make! Naomi loves them <3

• Dayna September 14, 2012, 5:24 pm

I tried this with Cocoa Butter and it worked great but I’m interested to know, Did you use Coconut oil? I think that would make it less expensive!

• The Coconut Mama September 16, 2012, 6:36 pm

I used coconut oil and they turned out great! I think they’re a little better with cocoa butter because they don’t melt as easily but coconut oil works great as long as you keep the chocolate chips cold.

• Iryna September 15, 2012, 8:29 am

How many cups of chocolate chips does this recipe make? Just trying to estimate if the price is worth it or if I’ll just end up with a cup of chips…

• The Coconut Mama September 16, 2012, 6:39 pm

Around 3+ cups of chocolate chips :)

• Lea H @ Nourishing Treasures September 16, 2012, 2:00 pm

Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures’ Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

• Dana September 30, 2012, 11:30 am

Hi there! DO you know how to ensure that the homemade chips don’t ‘bleed’ into the cookie recipe? I always have this problem..

• The Coconut Mama October 2, 2012, 11:55 am

Hi Dana,

I’ve used these to make chocolate chip cookies and they didn’t bleed into the cookies. I do believe that cocoa butter holds up better than coconut oil though.

• Kay DeFreese May 17, 2013, 5:47 pm

Where do you get cocoa butter? Is it the same cocoa butter that you use for soap and beauty products?

• April October 8, 2012, 6:50 pm

Hi! Have you tried baking with chocolate made with coconut oil? If you have, does it hold up? Thanks! :)

• The Coconut Mama October 9, 2012, 7:46 am

Yes! I made cookies with them and they held up very well :)

• Missii @Unmistakably Food October 12, 2012, 3:49 pm

I was just thinking today that I needed to learn how to make my own chocoloate chips! We don’t eat them very often, but when we do I always feel guilty because they are full of trans fats! UGGGG! When I think about that I don’t want chocolate chips anymore! Thank you for this recipe!

• Cathy January 19, 2013, 6:08 am

Can I use agave nector instead of honey or maple syrup? Thanks.

• Khaughs January 26, 2013, 1:55 pm

Don’t use agave because it is NOT healthy! See http://www.foodrenegade.com/agave-nectar-good-or-bad/ or google “the truth about agave”

• Aleese Barber January 30, 2013, 10:51 pm

I am so excited to try out your chocolate recipes! It seems like I’m always out of vanilla extract and I’ve got making my own on my to do list, but I never get around to it. Do you think it needs the moisture from that or can I just make a vanilla infused honey?

• Jessbez March 1, 2013, 1:43 pm

When I made this, the honey “sank” to the bottom. The coconut oil & honey separated. Any tips to keep them fused?

• Jennifer Lane May 19, 2013, 2:03 pm

Does anyone know what I could use in place of coconut oil or cocoa butter in this recipe? I’d love to make carob chips for my celiac and multiply food allergic daughter, but she’s allergic to coconut, cocoa, chocolate, corn, soy, dairy, etc….

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama May 19, 2013, 2:08 pm

They won’t set without a hard saturated fat. You could try beef tallow and carob powder.

• lmunkers October 11, 2013, 1:43 pm

I’ve made them using palm shortening since it’s solid at room temp (unlike coconut oil) and I can’t have cocoa butter at this time.

• Michi May 23, 2013, 8:35 pm

You can’t imagine how happy your blog is making me. I recently discovered the source of all that ails me, extreme allergy to all dairy and sugar cane. This is also a bummer because it means I can’t have so many things and it’s soo hard to find alternative to even ice cream that excludes both of those things, not just one or the other. I’m so happy to know I can have a dessert occasionally and I don’t also have to suffer for it!

• buildsewreap June 11, 2013, 8:41 am

Michi – check out Coconut Bliss ice cream. It is coconut milk based, organic and doesn’t contain cane sugar. I’m a strict vegetarian and have recently cut cane sugar out of my diet so my dietary concerns are close to yours just by choice, not allergy. The Coconut Bliss ice cream is amazing!!!

• Sarah Townsend July 19, 2013, 2:12 pm

i second this michi…great blog!

• Chris December 8, 2013, 5:04 pm

Food allergies are caused by leaky gut syndrome. You might benefit from doing the GAPS diet which heals the gut. Consuming fermented foods, bone broth and grass-fed gelatin help to heal the gut, and also staying away from grains, nuts, and processed food. Also, research has shown that high quality colostrum (yes it is technically dairy, but is very different in its composition) is also effective for gut healing. It is also likely you have candida overgrowth (or both candida and leaky gut) and would benefit from a candida cleanse like the body ecology diet (or some altered version tat excludes grains and nuts).

• sweetjoey June 5, 2013, 6:26 pm

I just discovered your Blog…love it…thanks for helping me keep my family healthy!!

• buildsewreap June 11, 2013, 8:44 am

I’m so excited to have this recipe! I couldn’t find sugar free vegan chocolate chips recently so I bought vegan carob chips and didn’t love them in the recipe I made. I’m glad to now have such an easy way to make my own actual chocolate chips. I’m also stoked to have this because sometimes I like to cover the tops of our homemade granola bars and instead of trying to melt chips on top, I’ll just make a batch of this and pour it over the top. Yum!!

• jeddah June 21, 2013, 7:49 am

thanks it really helped me a lot i did not even bother going to the shop

• herry June 21, 2013, 7:53 am

thanks it really helped me

• ElizaBeth June 24, 2013, 5:04 pm

Have tried piping these to make the little “kiss” shape?

• buildsewreap June 29, 2013, 7:43 am

I bought a break-apart chocolate mold and have been making chocolate bars using this recipe. Just one or two squares kicks my chocolate craving very enjoyably. I took a few to a little get together last night and my friends begged me for the recipe. Thanks for figuring out this ultra simple way to enjoy chocolate in a dairy-free, cane sugar free way. I love knowing the simple ingredients in my chocolate.

• SamRegis June 29, 2013, 7:55 am

Hello! I just found your blog while googling for a healthy chocolate chips recipe… these look fantastic! Quick question… do you know about how much chocolate chips this recipe would make? (Like.. 1 cup? or so??) Thanks for your thoughts and recipes! I look forward to more exploring on your site:)

• Bonny Sommert Rambarran July 3, 2013, 5:18 pm

this is really GOOD. making it for the second time . . .. love how fast it is. how healthy is it. how good it is. etc. etc.

• Diana July 6, 2013, 12:00 pm

Thanks for such a fabulous guilt-free alternative to those overly-sweet and unhealthy choc chips at the grocery store!! One question: any idea on how long these would stay fresh in the freezer? A few months, a year?

• Shannon Drawdy Clark July 9, 2013, 4:25 pm

I made these with coconut oil and they melted all out of the cookies. Where can I get cocoa butter?

• Kim July 27, 2013, 5:12 pm

I ordered some from Amazon.com. What don’t they have? There were organic choices.

• rebecca September 22, 2013, 2:01 am

any healthfood store

• Lauren Baer July 11, 2013, 10:09 am

3 tsp = 1 tbsp. for easier measuring purposes. :) Great recipe! Making it for my buddy’s birthday

• Melissa D. July 22, 2013, 10:32 pm

Can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m going to use your date paste as the sweetener, in place of honey.

• Kelli Chatfield July 31, 2013, 11:44 am

I just put a batch of these in the freezer and I can’t wait to try them. My son is lactose intolerant but a huge chocolate fan. I’m hoping these will keep him out of my dark chocolate stash.

• carolyn September 14, 2013, 4:33 pm

I immediately went to my kitchen to make this after stumbling upon this recipe. I am not necessarily a chocoholic, but let me tell you… I just broke a piece off the slab and ate it and this might be the BEST chocolate “bar” I have ever had! I LOVE the coconut flavor blend with the other ingredients. Thank you so much!

• clarinetlaj October 2, 2013, 11:31 am

THANK YOU!!!!!!! I was SO excited about my chocolate chips (affordable, bulk, and made with real vanilla and responsibly sourced chocolate) until i found out that the sugar is made with genetically modified beets :( After I use it up i will make a HUGE batch of these. Thank you thank you thank you!!

• Theresa M. Houghton November 4, 2013, 9:37 am

This looks great!! Do you know if this counts as paleo too?

• Gena November 14, 2013, 3:12 am

Can you use coconut butter instead of cocoa butter?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama November 16, 2013, 2:57 pm

I would only use a fat for this recipe (coconut oil or cocoa butter). Coconut butter is too grainy for this.

• Erica K. December 3, 2013, 8:43 am

Hi there! Did you ever post the cookie recipe that you used? I’ve searched your blog and can’t seem to find it (could be user error….). Thanks!

• justine January 24, 2014, 3:25 pm

Awesome recipe!! I had just ran out of coconut oil so I used ghee! Hope it turns out!!

• Uriel February 7, 2014, 10:37 pm

Hi Tiffany!
    If I make my own cacao powder, would you recommend adding sugar?
    Thanks for this recipe.
    Greetings from Mexico
    Uriel

• jenskitchen March 9, 2014, 12:04 pm

These look great. Could these be used for chocolate bars or shaped chocolates instead of chips (in other words… how did the chocolate taste by itself?)

• kristi April 25, 2014, 6:39 am

Have you used powdered erythritol or stevia?

• Debra June 6, 2014, 5:02 pm

Delicious! Is there any way to make these taste like milk chocolate chips?

• ashley July 27, 2014, 12:31 pm

I’m so happy I found your blog. Both my husband and his father are health nuts, which is good because they have opened my eyes to a lot of things. We have always eaten healthy, but I have never loss weight, I actually gained weight. But since I found your blog and substituted all my flour for coconut flour. I actually dropped 15 lbs. But I’m so happy. Thank you. You have help us out so much. My husband can’t stop raving about these recipes.

• ashley July 27, 2014, 12:33 pm

What kind of cocoa powder do you use.