Creamsicle Gummy Fruit Snacks

New to Essential Oils? Sign up for a FREE 14 day e-Course and email series to walk you through the basics! Register now for FREE here!

IMG_0374

Is this another gelatin recipe? Yes. Yes it is. :)

I love eating gelatin goodies and I am particularly happy when I can get my picky eating three-year old to eat gelatin too! My daughter goes through stages where she doesn’t want to eat a lot of meat. Getting enough protein into her diet can be a challenge at times. Gelatin is a wonderful ingredient that this sneaky mama uses to ensure my kids consume a healthy amount of protein.

I’ve been playing around with this recipe for several months now, trying to perfect it. The first few batches were okay, but my kids wouldn’t eat them (fail). I added coconut milk to a few batches so these snacks would have a healthy balance of protein, fat and carbs. Adding vanilla and coconut cream to the recipe made a big difference in flavor and palatability of these snacks. The final product was a big WIN in our house!

Creamsicle Gummy Fruit Snacks

Inspired by this recipe from Workout Master

• 1 1/2 cups fresh squeezed juice (I tested with orange juice and cherry juice)
  • 1/2 cup coconut cream or whole cream
  • 1 cup honey (or other natural sweeteners)
  • 1/2 cup gelatin
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla

Heat juice and cream over medium heat in a medium size saucepan. Pour gelatin over liquid. Whisk gelatin into mixture. Add honey and salt and continue to stir until the gelatin dissolves. Bring the mixture to a light boil, stirring constantly. Turn off heat and stir in the vanilla, Pour mixture into a 8×8 square pan. Cover pan and refrigerate until gummy snacks are set, about 4 hours. Cut into small square and store in air tight container.

cherryfruitsnacks

• Heather Gonzales February 18, 2013, 9:40 am

Would these need to be stored in the fridge?  Also, how long would they ‘keep’?

• Tamara February 18, 2013, 10:02 am

Can you please explain what “1/2 cup gelatin” means? I have gelatin packages, but that usually gets sprinkled on a liquid and added to a recipe. So I’m not sure how to make 1/2 C gelatin…?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 18, 2013, 1:21 pm

Hi Tamara,

I don’t use the packets of gelatin. I buy gelatin in large, 1 lb bottles. You will have to open a lot of packets and pour them into a 1/2 measuring cup. If you click on the word, “gelatin” in the recipe you will see what type of gelatin I am using. :)

• Tamara February 18, 2013, 9:46 pm

Thanks for the info. Just to clarify – the gelatin you use is a powder…not already in liquid/semi-solid state, right?

• Erika February 18, 2013, 7:38 pm

FYI – I just did it with knox packets (only option i had available), and it took 12 packets for a 1/2 cup.

• amanda February 18, 2013, 1:40 pm

What if you don’t have cream on hand, what can you substitute?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 18, 2013, 1:43 pm

I used coconut cream (the cream on top of canned coconut milk), If you don’t have either, you can use coconut milk or more juice. :)

• amanda February 18, 2013, 1:46 pm

Great! I have coconut milk on hand!

• Dawna Austin February 18, 2013, 2:56 pm

can you substitute coconut cream concentrate?

• Katherinecartwright February 18, 2013, 5:31 pm

I recently made some fruit snacks like this with some similar ingredients but they turned out to be more like jello and I’m not a big fan. What is the consistency of these?

• melanie February 19, 2013, 3:56 pm

This looks wonderful.  Thanks!  I just used up my coconut cream from Tropical Traditions – do you think the thick coconut milk from Thai Kitchen cans work?

• Becca Carroll February 19, 2013, 6:43 pm

Do you think Agar Agar flakes would work in place of the gelatin? Maybe if you pulse it first to break it up?

• Lizeanne February 20, 2013, 6:26 am

Ok, how do I make coconut cream?? I have made coconut butter… but I don’t know how to make the cream.

• The Coconut Mama February 22, 2013, 4:42 pm

Coconut Cream is the cream on top of canned coconut milk.

• Marliese March 24, 2013, 9:16 pm

coconut butter and coconut cream concentrate are the same thing. it is coconut oil with the raw flesh mixed in. it is a raw coconut butter, similar consistency to a nut butter.
      if you put a can of Coconut Milk in the fridge to chill the separated layer on top is the cream.

Coconut Butter is just pulverized Coconut into a paste. I use this to make coconut milk sometimes, just add a bit of water..

• Sarah February 20, 2013, 4:11 pm

I just made this using 10g of glucomannan instead of gelatin and I’m pretty pleased.  :)

• JWAUS February 22, 2013, 4:07 pm

Love some of your recipes, but as far as using Gelatine to get Protein in your diet….thats way off. Do you know whats in Gelatin? There are a plethora of other alternatives to make sure your children get Protein from Natural Organic Whole Foods.

Gelatine is the Hot Dog/Baloney of the additive world.

• Cammie Bray February 22, 2013, 4:47 pm

These look fantastic!

• Cclark1582 February 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Where do you get your gelatin?? Is it organic or grass fed?

• Cclark1582 February 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

Where do you get your gelatin?? Is it organic or grass fed?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 28, 2013, 12:00 pm

Yes, it is grass fed. You can find it here - http://villagegreennetwork.com/marketplace/supplements-superfoods/?pid=62

• Violet Murray February 24, 2013, 2:44 pm

Do you make your own coconut cream?
    Do you know how I can sub pectin for the gelatin?

• Amy February 24, 2013, 6:11 pm

Do you know if this would work with agar agar flakes?

• Amber February 27, 2013, 6:40 am

So is the “coconut cream” you listed actually coconut milk?  Could you use melted coconut oil in place of that? Thanks!

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama February 28, 2013, 11:59 am

No, do not use coconut oil. Use coconut milk, cream on top of coconut milk, milk or whole cream.

• MichelleH February 28, 2013, 9:18 am

Mine tasted great but they looked layered–clear gelatin on the bottom and the top was solid like yours.  Any suggestions as to what I did wrong?

• Bianca March 3, 2013, 7:22 am

Mine separated as well. :-(

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama March 5, 2013, 9:21 pm

Hmm. I’m not sure why they would separate…

• Jen July 3, 2013, 8:35 pm

To stop these from separating, you have to leave the liquid in the pot until it cools a bit, stirring every few minutes. Then pour them into the pan or mold and refrigerate.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama March 5, 2013, 9:22 pm

I’m not sure! I haven’t had that happen before. :(

• Rosemarie Carter Montgomery March 5, 2013, 8:21 am

Can you substitute Agar Agar instead of the gelatin? Gelatin is not Vegan friendly.

• Deborahphillip8156 March 5, 2013, 6:43 pm

I don’t like thing real sweet and wondering it these would turn out ok with about half the honey?

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama March 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

You can taste it before you pour it into the pan. You can start off with less and add until it suits your taste :)

• Nicole Walters March 5, 2013, 9:04 pm

This looks delicious! Will have to try.

• Allison Jordan March 11, 2013, 12:55 pm

Oh man, these look so good! Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait to try them!

• Gelly Belly March 16, 2013, 12:25 pm

Thank you for your recipe! I am on a GAPS/SCD journey and am trying to get as much gelatin in as possible to help heal my organs. (I also hear there are some great cellulite-reducing side effects!) I make a great homemade bone broth, but sometimes I like to mix it up a bit.

Made these two days ago and I am pounding through them! A great snack between meals!

I had some full fat coconut milk left over from another recipe and so used that. I knew I would be eating a lot of them, and I’m really affected by sugar so I chose to cut down the honey to about 1/4 cup, they still taste great!

My next attempt will be to make these with a concentrated, homemade ginger tea instead of juice, can’t wait! My GI system is feeling settled and relaxed just thinking of it!

Thanks again for sharing!

• Marliese March 24, 2013, 9:09 pm

That sounds delish! How do you make your ginger tea? i pulverize Ginger root and at it to Coconut sugar in a sealed container. then i scoop a tsp or so into hot water.

• Cindy March 22, 2013, 2:22 pm

These look so good! Do you think I could cut the recipe in half??

• Antonia Longo March 23, 2013, 8:26 am

Do you HAVE to bring it to a boil? I’d rather keep the juice/cream raw.

• Marliese March 24, 2013, 9:20 pm

The Gelatin Link no longer works. What is the brand you use?

• ChristineH March 26, 2013, 2:16 pm

I’m so excited to make these!! Do they need to be stored in the refrigerator or just in an airtight container?

• Saraa June 25, 2013, 8:40 pm

They soften and almost (but not quite) re-liquify if they are not refrigerated. They will also dry out quite quickly if they are not in a sealed container.

• Audry Strain Pettit April 4, 2013, 12:15 pm

I have never made anything like this before. What type of consistency do they have? Thanks

• Audry Strain Pettit April 4, 2013, 12:16 pm

Just saw answer above.

• Saraa June 25, 2013, 8:45 pm

They are very firm and not like Jello. They do not ‘melt in your mouth’ like jello does, you know the way you can squish Jello into a mess in your mouth with your tongue? You cannot with these. I like to reduce the gelatin from 1/2 cup to a very full 1/3 of a cup in this recipe.

• Amanda Waddell April 21, 2013, 8:58 am

Loved these! My first foray with gelatin (great lakes brand). Made the orange ones, using 1/2 c honey and a dropper of stevia (15-20 drops). Thanks so much for the recipe!

• Michele Brown April 26, 2013, 8:16 am

1/2 cup gelatin, is that dry or mixed already? : )

• RobynD323 May 15, 2013, 11:08 pm

How would you change the fruit in these fruit snacks? I’d love to make some fresh pineapple snacks, strawberry, and maybe some blueberry…How can you change the fruit to get the proper consistency of the gummy fruits?

• Jules May 19, 2013, 1:09 pm

Just made this. I used mango chunks puréed with the juice of one (organic) lemon. Since I used a purée instead of juice I wonder if its why they came out more like a stiff jello jiggler instead of a gummy. They were really good though my child found the cream made them a little too rich. I love them.

• Pandora Souza October 27, 2013, 7:25 pm

Mango has enzymes like pineapple and papaya, that don’t allow gelatin to set properly.

• BiancaD June 8, 2013, 12:44 pm

• Joei July 26, 2013, 7:36 pm

FYI fellow foodies- do not use mango or pineapple juice. I made these with fresh pineapple juice, in an effort to get a pina colada flavor- the gelatin did not set at all; it remained liquid. After some research, I learned that mango and pineapple contain enzymes that prevent gelatin from firming.

• Deanna March 27, 2014, 2:30 pm

wonder why these worked….want to try mango but not the juice, the pure—http://www.elanaspantry.com/gummy-bears/

• lisa August 3, 2013, 11:51 am

Why would you want your kids eating animal hooves/gelatin? How can that be healthy?

• Guestie August 29, 2013, 3:22 pm

The best stocks use hooves/chicken feet. Read about the benefits of gelatin and you will understand.

• Jessica Wood August 23, 2013, 2:02 pm

I want to rush out to the store to get these ingredients!!!

• Guestie September 2, 2013, 6:01 am

These were SO GOOD. What a great use of gelatin! Creamsicles were my favorite, and I missed them so much. Not any more – these were spot on. FYI I reduced the vanilla to 1 tsp. because it seemed overwhelming the taste/smell in the liquid stage, but after I refrigerated them it ended up reducing to only a hint of vanilla, so next time I will use your original amount. Thank you SO MUCH for this recipe.

• Guestie September 2, 2013, 6:02 am

I used the Bernard Jensen grassfed gelatin.

• Tiffany @ The Coconut Mama September 17, 2013, 3:47 am

I’m glad you enjoyed this recipe! Thanks for stopping by to leave a comment :)

~ Tiffany

• Chelsea Randolph September 7, 2013, 7:53 pm

I just made these and put them in the fridge. They were very simple, no hiccups in the process this time. A few weeks ago I made the strawberry lemon recipe posted here recently by a guest blogger. I used raspberries instead since I had them on hand. They were absolutely awful. I could barely choke them down, and my toddler wouldn’t touch them. I really hope these taste better cause I really hate to waste food, but that last batch had to go. .

• M. Canaday April 28, 2014, 9:11 pm

Montmorency (sour) cherry juice and gelatin are both great at helping induce sleep, so I’d be careful when you eat these if you use cherry juice…but what a great before bed snack these would be!