Coconut Oil Salt Scrub

Coconut Oil Salt Scrub – This homemade scrub will leave your skin soft and smooth!

Coconut Oil Salt Scrub

I love this body scrub recipe. It’s simply made with coconut oil and epsom salts. Essential oils can be added for fragrance but coconut oil and salt work great on its own. You can use this scrub as a full body scrub, hand scrub and foot scrub. The salt gently exfoliates the skin and the coconut oil leaves your skin feeling baby soft!

ad_spacer ad_spacer

Coconut Oil Salt Scrub RecipeCoconut Oil Salt Scrub

2 Cups Coconut Oil
1 Cup Epsom Salts
8-10 Drops Essential Oils

1. Mix coconut oil, epsom salts and essential oils together.

2. Store in an air tight container until ready to use.

Use as a body scrub, hand scrub or foot scrub. Make sure to be careful if you use this in the shower. The coconut oil may leave your tub a little slippery.

Free Coconut Flour Book When You Sign Up For My Free Newsletter

• Brit July 8, 2013, 4:13 pm

Just tried this and loved it. I only made enough for 1 or 2 full- body uses, but I’ll make more soon. Seems like a great prep for self tanner!

• kimpysmile July 21, 2013, 9:45 pm

Did this With Sugar Instead of Epsom Salts And I Can’t Decide Which Works Best

• Tanna July 24, 2013, 3:20 pm

I have the Epsom salts with Lavender already in it. I’l try when I take my shower later.

• Patty-Ann April 2, 2015, 4:42 pm

I am going to do the same. Use the lavender Epsom salts, add the coconut oil and some lemon and lavender essential oils for extra aromatherapy. Should be a perfect post winter body scrub.

• Rebecca Hamilton July 24, 2013, 10:21 pm

Just a tip….I found that a sugar scrub works great too! Its just a cup of sugar with just enough coconut oil (About 3/4 cup, maybe even 1/2 cup) to make it into a kinda paste. The sugar wipes away dead skin flakes, and the coconut oil adds missing oils in your skin to make your skin super soft. I love to use it on my hands, and it smells sooo sweet <3 I can't wait to try it with epsom salt, I heard that stuff is therapuetic!

• sharon July 26, 2013, 6:14 pm

can you give some ideas for different scents to make? I will be making it for several people . what are some favorites ?

• Marita September 27, 2013, 7:33 pm

Sweet orange oil, peppermint, lemongrass…just to name a few.

• djr5 December 20, 2013, 7:54 pm

Lavender is good for the skin, Geranium helps repair collagen

• Jaime L Peterson December 22, 2013, 3:48 pm

Chocolate & mint.. use coco powder and mint extract. Vanilla brown sugar, rosemary lemon. TIP, break open fresh tea bags, extract the herbs and tea.. mix it into your scrubs! I advise that you use organic & simple blends, so you know what is in it, plus you can research the properties of your teas to be safe.

• Cathy September 28, 2013, 5:18 am

How long does this keep?
    It sure sounds great. I am excited to make it. Which will be this am.

• Jaime L Peterson December 22, 2013, 3:44 pm

2 weeks sitting out.. about a month refrigerated.. Use grape seed oil (grocery store, next to the olive oil) as a natural preservative to ensure freshness.

• Danna September 28, 2013, 10:12 am

Should the coconut oil be melted before mixing it with the epsom salts?

• Chelsi October 2, 2013, 7:21 pm

Probably just a bit, enough for you to be able to mix it up. Not liquid, but not solid like it is at room temp either.

• Jaime L Peterson December 22, 2013, 3:41 pm

It depends on what you are making.. a loose dry sort of scrub might be easier with the oil in it’s solid state.. otherwise microwave it for 20 seconds.. stir remaining pieces of solidified oil around until it melts, rather than over heat the oil. Good luck..

• cyn68 December 5, 2013, 9:04 am

You can get different scents at Bath and Body and I even found some in the candle section at Wal-mart in the Home Decor dept.

• Justamom December 7, 2013, 1:42 pm

Be sure you’re purchasing essential oils for applications like this, not fragrance oils. Those are used for maybe making candles or to use to scent your environment and are generally not appropriate for putting on your body. Essential oils and fragrance oils are two different things.

• Michelle December 9, 2013, 12:52 pm

Where would I find coconut oil?

• mrshawk December 20, 2013, 5:20 pm

At Michaels or Hobby lobby

• djr5 December 20, 2013, 7:52 pm

Costco and Vitacost are about the same 20.99 for a 54 oz container of it. Vitacost you have to pay $4.95 shipping. I buy mine from Costco because it is more convenient.

• Jaime L Peterson December 22, 2013, 3:39 pm

Any grocery store is going to have coconut oil.. Baking section, usually top shelf.. near the olive oil. $7.99 – $12.99 average. Get the kind that has no scent or taste.. 😉 Unless you want coconut in everything you make. Try cooking with it!

• Claudia March 16, 2015, 5:25 pm

Costco now has coconut oil. They have it in a 2-pack (1-quart each, I think). It is organic, cold-pressed. It tastes good and is very nice to use.

• Patty-Ann April 2, 2015, 4:37 pm

Trader Joe’s has it.

• Alex December 17, 2013, 4:16 pm

Where can you find coconut essential oils?

• kristy March 27, 2015, 5:44 am

No such thing as coconut essential oil.

• Patty-Ann April 2, 2015, 4:36 pm

Very helpful. Thanks.

• Leslie April 7, 2015, 4:30 pm

We have coconut essential oil. I put it in my scrub and my goatsmilk soap.

• alexandra January 9, 2014, 9:11 am

is the coconut oil the same we use for cooking? or is there one for body products?

• Kathy Meroney April 21, 2014, 2:27 pm

Is this ok to use on your face?

• carmen June 30, 2014, 10:07 am

Could you please explain to me if I should use liquid coconut oil or the hardened kind by melting it. I am confused.. Thx

• tplaggerman April 9, 2015, 7:10 am

Use organic cold-pressed (never microwave or heat above 110, it kills the natural enzymes). Coconut oil turns liquid around 76 degrees, as it warms, the different oils (fats) in it become liquid at different temps. At 80 it should be completely liquid, at 65, completely solid. To make liquid I place a container of it in another container of hot water and mix until melted. Remember to use organic or food grade essential oils too – your skin is your largest organ, it absorbs into your blood stream.

• Leland Rogers April 23, 2015, 8:09 am

The liquid oil (room temp) is called fractionated coconut oil and is a different animal when it comes to usage. It is mainly used in lotions and cosmetics but does not solidify at room temp.

• Lor July 1, 2014, 8:07 am

Can sea salt be used instead of epsom salt?

• Heather August 23, 2014, 8:11 am

I have had problems with my body scrubs beginning to grow mold! Has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to alleviate this!?

• kristy March 27, 2015, 5:43 am

If you are have trouble with mold, it could be because you are sticking your wet or dirty fingers into the scrub. Try using a spatula or something to dip it out into your hand. When you add water to an oil scrub it has the tendency to grow mold.

• ginette collin October 12, 2014, 7:45 am

I think that the Epson Salt would be absorbed by the skin giving magnesium to bones and would releive cramps from the legs and feet… Same principle as taking an Epson salt bath!

• Candy October 20, 2014, 8:13 pm

How much does the recipe make?

• kristy March 27, 2015, 5:44 am

3 cups like the recipes says.

• Hayley October 24, 2014, 8:48 am

What size jar is this measured out for?

• Sandy November 15, 2014, 9:21 am

Hayley, I made half the recipie and it filled a 9 ounce jar to the top.

• laurel November 15, 2014, 5:43 am

Would this be Good for stretch marks? I’m 18 weeks along and just discovered a few of them!

• Momma November 25, 2014, 5:22 pm

I made a batch with Sugar and Lavender Dawn and then another with Epsom Salt/Sugar, Coconut Oil with a touch of Lavender Dawn. Took both to neighbors to try it out… They Love Them Both! So, do I…

• connie March 9, 2015, 7:24 am

mama co upconut and all of her fans
    I am making 32 small jars of the coconut lavender hand scrub for a baby shower thank you gifts. the first batch I made I totally melted the coconut oil by sitting in warm water. it is very liquidy and does not want to Thicken. the second batch I just allow the coconut to soften enough to mix the Epsom salt and lavender essential oil this turned out much better. I read that this will last in the refrigerator up to 1 month once it is taken out of the refrigerator two weeks. Is this correct? I would hate to give gifts and have people open their jars with mold in them. my next question once I take them out of the refrigerator will they be hard and have to soften again or because the coconut oil has already been mixed in will they be the same consistency as when they were placed in the refrigerator. I have never made scrubs before and I know everyone is thinking I bit off more than I could chew by attempting to make 30+ thank you gifts for baby shower. any advice will help and be gratefully accepted

• Renea April 22, 2015, 4:05 pm

I make my own deodorant with coconut oil essential oils and baking soda … i have never had it mold! Ever…

• Anna March 16, 2015, 7:36 am

This sounds great but I would worry about rinsing it off in tub/shower not just for the slipping factor but also the clogging of drains.

• The Coconut Mama March 19, 2015, 10:14 am

Be careful because tubs can be pretty slippery when using coconut oil. Since coconut oil melts at room temperature I just let hot water run down drains after I use coconut oil. I’ve never had a problem!

• Claudia March 16, 2015, 5:31 pm

Coconut oil melts at about 77 degrees (Farenheit), so it should be a nice creamy consistency in a house that is around 72 degrees. when you put it in the refrigerator it will be very hard until it warms up and softens up (in several hours, I would think). I think you are doing a very nice thing by making 30+ gifts for a baby shower!

• katherine March 26, 2015, 8:34 pm

we have made toothpaste as well ….coconut oil (solid) some peppermint oil and for mine i added a hint of honey …so far awesome and the dentist was happy as well :D… no measurements its all just to taste

• Marcia Stein March 27, 2015, 1:29 pm

I made a scrub this week using coconut oil and sea salt and after a few days of sitting on the counter it hardened. Is this usual?

• laura mccubbin March 30, 2015, 2:34 pm

I’ve just started getting into homemade products. I bought a bottle of fractionated coconut oil, can I use this for the recipe? Wasn’t sure what the difference is between the different kinds of coconut oil. thanks Laura